How to disable EPS preview generation

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2016 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Please note that Quark will support QX2016 until Nov 30, 2019.

UtahLlama

Re: How to disable EPS preview generation

Post by UtahLlama » 05 Jan 2018, 12:23

Hi Mike
the word I wanted to stress was untouched.
Early versions of Quark might get the on screen preview wrong but because the whole EPS was written into the postscript you'd get the correct result if your RIP could interpret it correctly (or Distiller).
On the other hand PDF has always been interpreted and converted to postscript by quark when building screen preview and again when exporting to PDF.
At some point in Quark's history I think EPS now gets handled exactly the same as PDF (its converted and not untouched).

There are some old school tricks, and about 2000 posts, where myself and others recommend to convert PDF to EPS and place that into Quark instead yada yada yada :D , a lot of these are pretty obscure scenarios but either the current Quark isn't behaving quite the same or Distiller isn't.

Re the color-profile not working on an EPS, you can certainly save a Photoshop EPS with a color profile, It always used to be ignored by Quark, and its generally gnored by Distiller because a color profile isn't part of the Postcript Library. I'm not sure how a modern Quark or InDesign handles these nowadays. I seem to remember early InDesign could get the ICC profiles re-attached to the images in the pdf.

Actually memory a bit fuzzy but maybe Older Quarks used to have the option to convert ICC to postscript-color array (or profiled cmyk EPS was Distilled to Lab with an array and get rejected when the Chinese preflighted perfectly good PDF :lol: :lol: )

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 05 Jan 2018, 12:57

RE color management of un-profiled graphics. These by and large (I cannot think of a single instance otherwise) get pushed into a deviceCMYK/RGB color space (depending upon the output intent). This is not a bad thing as in the end it will be converted by the RIP software (not a lot different than doing it upfront).

Yes, the normal modus operandi was to use EPS. In part because of PDF issues. Most of the time I would RIP them to TIFFs instead (and still do at times).

Untouched. Well, I just tried a true .ps file and no preview image in version 9 (oldest installed here) and it doesn't display nor output. Guess it's true what they say, memory is the first...it's the ?

It both previews and outputs in v.2017. I would need to fire up the other computer to try back to v.10.

UtahLlama

Post by UtahLlama » 18 Jan 2018, 15:47

Untouched. Well, I just tried a true .ps file and no preview image in version 9 (oldest installed here) and it doesn't display nor output.
It both previews and outputs in v.2017
Ah Ha ! my point proved methinks :roll: I never had v9 but if its trying to parse a .ps and failing then it can't stick it in the output ps.
Earlier versions would fail to parse the EPS but correctly stick it Untouched in the output ps.

v2017 is better at parsing so gets it correct at output, but its only because v2017 gets it correct when placing, that it appears correct in the output .ps
RE color management of un-profiled graphics. These by and large (I cannot think of a single instance otherwise) get pushed into a deviceCMYK/RGB color space (depending upon the output intent). This is not a bad thing as in the end it will be converted by the RIP software (not a lot different than doing it upfront).
The main instance of otherwise would be Spot Colours (DeviceN) including Blacks and Greyscale, which can get pushed by one preference, converted by another and pulled back by a third, leaving you with a result far enough away from the original to be problematical.

I work in Print so my ultimate goal is to get DeviceCMYK or DeviceN in my final pdf, the results of RGB to cmyk conversion from Adobe, Quark, Pitstop or my RIP are all "different", as you say the conversion "intent" probably has the biggest effect..., but how many people ever change the "intent" when doing a profile to profile conversion, for that matter how many people actually know that they are doing a profile to profile conversion, when they go Mode>cmyk in Photoshop ? :o

Return to “QuarkXPress 2016: General”