List of all Fonts used in library

Discuss fonts and font usage in QuarkXPress workflows on MacOS® and Windows® in QuarkXPress 2015, 2016 & 2017.
dmcgimpsey

List of all Fonts used in library

Post by dmcgimpsey » 20 Jan 2018, 15:14

Hi Folks:

I am new to QuarkExpress, but our company has used it since 1992 at least. I have been asked to get a listing of all the fonts that we use in a library of over 30,000 documents. I need this to prepare an inventory of fonts, and our team can determine which are supported and not. There are hundreds of fonts that are OTP, and PS.

Is there a tool or feature that I can use to point to a library, and get a listing of every available font- cross referenced by document name.

I have looked at other external tools, like Suitcase Fusion - but they don't have what I am looking for.

As a last ditch effort - I was thinking I could write some python code to look for font signatures within documents - similar to what a virus scanner does - but to do that I would need a binary representation of what each font looks like within QXP and QXD documents.

Your help is greatly appreciated

Don McGimpsey

MikeWenzloff

Re: List of all Fonts used in library

Post by MikeWenzloff » 21 Jan 2018, 12:04

Hello Don,

I believe that FontExplorer Pro can inventory all used font in QXP documents. What I cannot recall for certain is how old of Q documents can it go back to. I also cannot remember if it can be set at a root path and walk all sub folders.

This sounds like a monumental task! I wish you luck.

Mike

dmcgimpsey

Post by dmcgimpsey » 21 Jan 2018, 14:28

Thanks Mike, I will be contacting them on Monday morning, the free trial seems to be for MAC only. The price is certainly right and I will see if we can use it on the MAC system.

Regards

Don

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 21 Jan 2018, 18:45

Hi Don,

They are (I think) revitalizing the Windows version and the web site is rather dumb. It also doesn't show up if one tried to purchase, though the application will tell you it is unregistered and provide a link for buying it.

In the text block for the December update to the Windows version is the only link I could find. Direct link to the ZIP download:

http://fex.linotype.com/download/win/Fo ... ro353.zip/

Mike

dmcgimpsey

Post by dmcgimpsey » 21 Jan 2018, 19:24

I have another question, first let me describe the scenerio.

The process in which QE is used is that the forms are all designed, tested, and approved, then they get converted to PDF for printing.

My question is: Do the exact fonts used in PDF match exactly the fonts used in QE?

I should note as well, there are other output formats, such as HtML and others, but I can probably resolve the fonts within these in an automated fashion.

The reason I am asking about fonts matching PDF to QE is that I believe there are available automated tools that I can use with PDF.

I am downloading the Font Explorer link you provide Mike, thanks again

Don

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 21 Jan 2018, 20:19

The fonts will be listed, but depending on how they are encoded, the encoded name may not make too much sense. But that is a good thought. I suspect a PDF can be parsed or even a report made via Acrobat, which can be (likely) made into an action or using JavaScript.

You can see as a test using Acrobat. Open a sample PDF and hit ctrl+d and switch to the Fonts tab. That will show font names as used in that PDF.

Mike

Return to “QuarkXPress 20xx: Fonts and fonts usage”