A vertical rule only on left side of paragraph

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2017 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.
piperh

A vertical rule only on left side of paragraph

Post by piperh » 31 Jan 2019, 04:44

I'd like to be able to style paragraphs with a vertical rule on one side only.

I don't really mind how it's achieved but the important thing is that when the overall text is edited, the paragraphs with a vertical rule flow with the text changes and take the vertical rule style along with them. (I don't want separate vertical rules which would be left in the wrong position when the text is edited).

I've tried pasting in a narrow image box with a coloured background and using baseline shift - this works if the paragraph is short. But if the para is long then I hit a limitation on the amount of baseline shift permitted.

Can anyone think of a way to achieve this?

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: A vertical rule only on left side of paragraph

Post by Sirish Nair (Quark) » 31 Jan 2019, 05:52

Hi piperh,

You can easily achieve the vertical rule using the Text Framing or Text Shading options in Text Shading feature. You can define this locally using measurement palette > Text Shading tab or can create a text shading style from the Text Shading Styles palette and can apply it in a character style sheet or paragraph style sheet. You can turn off the any of four sides of the text frame/ text shade and can also define the offset for the frame/ shade from any side.

If you wish to draw the vertical rule outside the text box, you need to use text shading option. In case you wish to draw the vertical rule inside the text box, you can use either of text framing or text shading options.
Attachments
Vertical Rule outside the text box using Text Shading feature.png
(203.89 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by Sirish Nair (Quark) on 31 Jan 2019, 08:19, edited 3 times in total.
Sirish Nair
Senior Technical Lead, Quality Assurance
QUARKXPRESS PUBLISHING R&D (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
A-45, Industrial Area, Phase 8-B, Mohali, Punjab, India Pin: 160059
sinair@quark.com | http://www.quark.com

piperh

Post by piperh » 31 Jan 2019, 06:28

Thanks you Sirish for such a complete explanation - I should have found that. I guess the feature was added in an upgrade and I never noticed.

It does exactly what I need for this job. It's almost perfect, but here's a request for the future: if the offset from the frame to the text allowed a negative value, I could prevent the top and bottom of the rule from protruding beyond the visual area of the paragraph.

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Sirish Nair (Quark) » 31 Jan 2019, 08:28

Hi piperh,

Yes, you cannot apply a negative value in offset for text framing. An enhancement is already reported for the same.

You can apply the negative offset for the vertical rule using the text shading feature.
Sirish Nair
Senior Technical Lead, Quality Assurance
QUARKXPRESS PUBLISHING R&D (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
A-45, Industrial Area, Phase 8-B, Mohali, Punjab, India Pin: 160059
sinair@quark.com | http://www.quark.com

piperh

Post by piperh » 31 Jan 2019, 13:47

Thanks again Sirish. Using text shading with negative offsets gave the result I was looking for.

Return to “QuarkXPress 2017: General”