Job tickets and master pages

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2017 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.
AtrusRiven

Job tickets and master pages

Post by AtrusRiven » 19 Dec 2017, 15:20

Hi people,

I'm confronted with a problem respectively two questions I could not answer with the manual or Google Search. If I understand the work with Job Jackets and Tickets properly they function as a global layout specification system to ensure that everything you have specified is implemented properly. In this context it is possible to create projects on the basis of Job Tickets (that include specific layout specifications) so that the simple copy-and-paste of already existing projects (due to possible layout errors by this workflow) becomes obsolete respectivley is substited by the Job ticket based creation of projects.

I intend to write my PhD thesis on Quark and therefor use the book function. For every chapter a separate project shall be created so that I can work on small files (a lesson I learned from Microsoft Word slowing down with great documents). These chapters shall contain footers or headers which are created with separate text boxes on master pages.

Now my questions:
  1. If I want to create my separate chapter projects/files from a Job Ticket (that specifies the layout) to avoid the copy-and-paste method, how can I include master pages (with the text boxes for the header/footer) into the Job Ticket which I create my further projects from? Or do I have to work with project templates?
  2. Is there a possibility to synchronize (with the book function) these master pages, in case I want to change something subsequently?
Is there a workflow for my two questions or am I handling this wrong? Unfortunately I couldn't find any connection between Job Tickets and the book function.

Thanks for some hints, greetings
AtrusRiven

AtrusRiven

Re: Job tickets and master pages

Post by AtrusRiven » 04 Jan 2018, 08:38

Is anybody having an idea and can help me?

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 04 Jan 2018, 15:43

I don't use Job Jackets.

Here's a YouTube video on Job Jackets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW-A5XMaA08

However, I typically just set up a basically blank document with all the specifications and styles used, then base a chapter on it. But I also tend to do a single Project for a book, even one that is pretty large.

Ok. Job Jackets can likely do what you are desiring. There can be knock-on effects when/if you change something in a single chapter and go back into a previous chapter because they will be linked to the same Job Jacket (I think). They are pretty powerful but for myself I find them confusing to create versus a template. There are also downside to templates, though. So do watch the video.

Mike

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 05 Jan 2018, 05:18

For solving this kind of problem I often use appending a project to another new created project, so all styles are updating in a single step.
Every day is a good day to learn something new.

AtrusRiven

Post by AtrusRiven » 04 Feb 2018, 09:09

Thanks a lot for your answers.
  • I did watch the video but – as good as it is – it explaines only the principles and basics.
  • Thanks for the hint »Appending«, that's quite useful.
  • I explored the Job Jackets functionality further, it's really a powerful feature. I discovered that the ticket is not only the basis which a new projec can be created on, it also remains linked so that, if style sheets are changed subsequently, every project based on the ticket also changes its style sheets. So far so good. But does this also work with complete project layouts, i.e.: Changing the layout in the ticket also means changing it in every project based on the ticket?
Thanks again for some informatio you can provide on this issue.

AtrusRiven

Post by AtrusRiven » 07 Mar 2018, 09:20

Someone an idea?

Return to “QuarkXPress 2017: General”