Performance Problems

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2017 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.
Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: Performance Problems

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 04 Jan 2018, 04:49

Hi Gerhard,

I didn't mean crash report. Please just report the behaviour, maybe with a screen movie, and let us know your configuration, maybe together with a sample document (including fonts).

If we can reproduce it, then we will be able to fix the bug. If not, then we need to look at your specific setup.

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

chrisills

Post by chrisills » 07 Jan 2018, 09:37

Hi, I am also experiencing slow down in QuarkXpress 2017 on a 5k iMac I bought after Christmas (2017). Using High Sierra, i5 processor version with 40GB of RAM installed. Interestingly, it seemed fine before installing the new RAM, but I can't believe that would be causing the problem.

Using Corsair CMSX32GX4M2A2400C16 Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 2400 MHz C16 260 Pin SODIMM, which fits the Apple specs perfectly.

It was working fine, and I've got only 3 pages in one project file and when I try to zoom in, the spinning disc pops up and it takes ages to zoom in, instead of instantly zooming in. It is also slow in drawing text and picture boxes. There are a few blending effects on the pages and some drop shadows. I have three layers in total saved in the file. Background images, effects and a type layer.

As I'm typing I've just opened previously saved versions that don't have as much effects as my latest version, and it does indeed zoom in instantly, but surely with the extra RAM available to the program I shouldn't be experiencing this much slow down? I remember in older version of Quark you could view pages in a lower resolution. Is this still available? Would it help? I can't seem to find any setting for this.

I'm also using Insider software; fontagent which has a quark xtension, but I haven't seen any issues with this. I notice the Mac OS system has over 700 fonts active, but I'm a bit scared to turn them off as some of them I know are used by the OS itself, that's alot of fonts, lol.
Matthias Guenther (Quark) wrote:Can you please submit a bug report to support@quark.com?
Matthias, I see you have provided an email for a bug report, but I've never done one before, what do I need to include? You say a screen movie, never done it, lol. Do you have a quick link to something that shows you how?

Regards, Chris Illsley.
Last edited by chrisills on 07 Jan 2018, 09:55, edited 2 times in total.

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 07 Jan 2018, 09:51

Hi Chris,

First thing I would try is, with QXP shut down, is to remove all third-party XTensions such as FA. Just copying them out of the XTensions folder where they are located. Then start up QXP and give it a whirl and see what happens.

In QXP version 9 and below there was an option to view images at a low resolution. That was removed in version 10 with the introduction of the new graphics engine.

Mike

chrisills

Post by chrisills » 07 Jan 2018, 12:32

Hi Mike, removed the FA xtension, that's the only third party one installed, and the same problem still happens with zooming, also panning the document with the hand tool is slow as well.

Matthias was mentioning the graphics card, but I have other apps like Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer and they're running really smooth, when I pan and zoom in those apps it's very slick. It has to be an issue with Quark.

I see in both Affinity apps you can increase the size of RAM allocation as well. If you could do this with Quark too, I'm sure that would help out.

Regards, Chris Illsley.

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 07 Jan 2018, 15:21

Hi Chris--Serif's Affinity products do not use the GPU. They only use the CPU for drawing to the screen.

It could be as Matthias mentions. And so, if you haven't sent the report in, please do so.

Take care, Mike

Return to “QuarkXPress 2017: General”