Printing direct vs create PDF and print from pdf

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2017 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.
chrisnz_nz

Printing direct vs create PDF and print from pdf

Post by chrisnz_nz » 20 Feb 2018, 03:24

Hi all,

I used to print direct to our Xerox DocuPrint 5005 (working in ID), and had superb results all the time between version of ID. Now in QXP 2017 I just tried to do some prints on the same printer from QXP directly and found that the quality of that was not what i am used to. So I tried to create a high res pdf and sure enough, there is a visible difference! Is there anything in the setting I have missed perhaps or does everyone else have the same experience? I hate to think that I now have to create pdf's all the time just to do high quality laser proofs...

Thanks in advance
Chris

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: Printing direct vs create PDF and print from pdf

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 20 Feb 2018, 03:47

Hi Chris,

can you quantify the difference please? Compressions, artefacts, resolution, colors, or what looks different?

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

chrisnz_nz

Post by chrisnz_nz » 20 Feb 2018, 03:56

chrisnz_nz wrote:Hi all,

I used to print direct to our Xerox DocuPrint 5005 (working in ID), and had superb results all the time between version of ID. Now in QXP 2017 I just tried to do some prints on the same printer from QXP directly and found that the quality of that was not what i am used to. So I tried to create a high res pdf and sure enough, there is a visible difference! Is there anything in the setting I have missed perhaps or does everyone else have the same experience? I hate to think that I now have to create pdf's all the time just to do high quality laser proofs...

Thanks in advance
Chris
Ok, I found that setting the resolution to 600 dpi (instead of leaving on 300dpi default) will help a lot, but it is not quite the same graduated smoothness as from a a pdf file and generally a little darker in the mid tones and shadows, all contributing to an appearance of slightly lower quality output. But that is being fussy, which is what we are supposed to be, lol...

In a word, don't worry to reply unless you specifically have a similar or same printer and have done a lot of A/B comparisons of many different settings. That could be quite interesting to post here for others too.

Cheers
Chris

chrisnz_nz

Post by chrisnz_nz » 20 Feb 2018, 04:07

Matthias Guenther (Quark) wrote:Hi Chris,

can you quantify the difference please? Compressions, artefacts, resolution, colors, or what looks different?

Thanks
Matthias
Hi Matthias,

Just finished my post and saw your reply now! Well, just running a couple of more prints off with that best quality setting, it seems to me that on a few images the direct print gets very finely detailed patterns a slightly sharper reproduction. And that may be what contributes to the slightly more sharp, or perhaps "grainy look" in other parts of images vs the pdf looking a little smoother overall. It could well be that this makes for the fine differences, plus a very slight difference in colours. Overall, not enough to complain anymore!

Cheers
Chris

Return to “QuarkXPress 2017: General”