Setting up Project Bleeds

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2017 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.
dannyrome9

Setting up Project Bleeds

Post by dannyrome9 » 14 Mar 2018, 15:37

It's been a while so bear with me. Purchased QuarkXpress 2017 in October of 2017 (been using InDesgin CS5 for years). Using the Guides Palette to set up Bleeds, the increment in the palette is POINTS. Is there a way to change that to inches?
The workflow I was used to in InDesign was setting up the bleeds as a document/project was being created. In the dialog box in ID, it allows for Margins and Bleed settings. Also, if I needed to go back and create bleeds on an existing document/project, I could go into the menu to "document setup" and add bleeds in the dialog box that comes up. Is there any similar functionality in QuarkXpress (setting up bleeds when creating a new project)? Not a deal breaker, but I'm just
used to the convenience from ID. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something or have a setting that needs to be changed.

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: Setting up Project Bleeds

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 15 Mar 2018, 04:47

Hi Danny,

the idea behind a document property sounds intriguing, however assumes that all deliverables you ever create out of the layout require the same bleed. in QuarkXPress you do it upon output (or use an output style), so that you can easily vary bleed.

If you want to see the bleed during layout phase, Guides palette let's you easily create bleed guides.

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

dannyrome9

Post by dannyrome9 » 16 Mar 2018, 10:52

Matthias,

Not so much the same bleed every time but having the ability to set the document bleeds (the same way the Guide Palette does) at the onset of a project when creating the dimensions and margins.

That's more of a convenience than a complaint. However, is there an answer to my question in regards to the Guide Palette unit of measurement? Specifically, it shows the measurement for bleeds in POINTS and I'd prefer is to be INCHES. Is there a way to change that? Again, it's not something to kill the enthusiasm for QuarkXpress, it's just creating a few more steps for me to figure out the conversions on some projects (if they don't have the same bleed requirements). Most of the bleed specs that I encounter here in the U.S. is 1/8" (.125").

Thanks again for the reply.

-Danny

Jiri Melnicky

Post by Jiri Melnicky » 16 Mar 2018, 11:09

You must enter the number including units. For example 0.125in or 3mm. It's a peculiar thing, but it works.
Eizo SX2461W, Dell XPS 8500 - Intel Core i7-3770, 12 GB RAM, Win 8.1, QXP3.1–QXP2018 (Czech version)

dannyrome9

Post by dannyrome9 » 16 Mar 2018, 15:09

Jiri,

Now THAT is interesting (and peculiar, as you mentioned).
First try utilizing that info I mistakenly put a space between the number and the increment (0.125 in) and got
an error message. Went back and looked at your post, took out the space, and all is well. Thanks so much.

-Danny

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 16 Mar 2018, 18:36

Every measurement field is the same. One can use any unit of measure no matter how its default is set.

dannyrome9

Post by dannyrome9 » 19 Mar 2018, 11:27

Mike,
Thanks for that. As I haven't used QuarkXpress in some time, it's a bit of a reverse learning curve coming back to it.
That said, the idea that I can type any measurement increment in the field is quite cool.
-Danny

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 19 Mar 2018, 14:18

BTW, the input fields (all? some?) also allow simple math expressions.

For instance, draw a smallish text frame. Fill it with placeholder text. Now roughly double the size of this text frame. For the example, let's say it is 12 point text. In the font point size field and at the 12 pt, enter *2

It will double to 24 pt. The input boxes allow simple math. Same works for frames, etc.

Jean-Marie Schwartz

Post by Jean-Marie Schwartz » 20 Mar 2018, 03:59

And you can even mix units like this: 3mm+12pt for instance.
Jean-Marie Schwartz

= Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel 2.8 GHz • 10 Go 1066 MHz DDR3 • Mac OS 10.10.5 • QuarkXPress 9.5.4.1 + QuarkXPress 2017 • Adobe CS5 =

Return to “QuarkXPress 2017: General”