Setting preferences for imported photos?

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2017 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.
jgold723

Setting preferences for imported photos?

Post by jgold723 » 15 Jan 2019, 09:38

In QX2016 I was able to set preferences for importing photos, including setting the border and runaround. I've moved to 2017, but the method I used to do this in 2016 (double-clicking on the photo box and setting the preferences) doesn't seem to work.

How can I do this in 2017?

MikeWenzloff

Re: Setting preferences for imported photos?

Post by MikeWenzloff » 15 Jan 2019, 09:45

Still worked for me in 2017 (and 2018), but I use Windows.

If you are using a Mac, I believe there is a menu choice. If so, one would set a particular frame the way one would ant for default, then...look through the menus. Likely a Synchronize Default, or Set Default or something along those lines. Might be in the PDF manual.

Mike

jgold723

Post by jgold723 » 16 Jan 2019, 09:54

Along these lines, it seems that preference options are pretty sparse and I'm wondering if I'm missing something or if Quark has hidden these away somewhere else?

For example, when I look at preferences for Tools > Content Tool I see only the option to toggle between "Create Boxes" and "Select Boxes"

It seems there should be more options.

Am I missing something?

grumpiestt

Post by grumpiestt » 16 Jan 2019, 13:01

I would do this by creating an Item Style.
Set up a box the way you like it, with all the attributes you need such as fill colour, border, runaround, etc.
Save a named Item Style (Edit > Item Styles > New). (For example I just created one which I called "yellow/cyan border".)
This can then be applied to a box with a single click on the Item Styles palette.
If you export the Item Style, it creates a little file called ItemStyles.xis which you can then import into other documents, taking your box specifications with it.

Sarbjit Singh
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Sarbjit Singh » 22 Jan 2019, 02:31

You can set the default Tool Preferences using the following menu option:

Edit -> Set Tool Preferences from Selected

Return to “QuarkXPress 2017: General”