Footnote separators and Index entries as Hyperlinks

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2018 (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/
saratogacoach

Footnote separators and Index entries as Hyperlinks

Post by saratogacoach » 02 Mar 2018, 10:59

Hi,

Just pre-ordered QXP 2018 (update) and noticed a new feature: Footnote separators and Index entries as Hyperlinks.
Regarding "Index entries as Hyperlinks" what will this new feature mean for HTML5 publishing and index creation?

Could you provide additional information and details on how Index entries as Hyperlinks will work and what this will add for HTML5 publishing?

Thank you.

Sarbjit Singh
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: Footnote separators and Index entries as Hyperlinks

Post by Sarbjit Singh » 07 Mar 2018, 04:37

Earlier, the text inside Index created via QuarkXPress was exported as normal (un-linked) text in HTML. However, now index entries will be exported as hyperlinks. QuarkXPress has always allowed exporting Index entries as Hyperlinks in PDF. So, HTML is now at par.

saratogacoach

Post by saratogacoach » 07 Mar 2018, 08:01

Hi Sarbjit,

Thank you for your reply.

Maybe because I am still a beginner learning QXP, I do not know how to create an Index for HTML5 digital publications. When I try to use the index building dialog box in QXP 2017, it does not work when the project is for digital/HTML5 output.

I must be doing something wrong. Are there instructions for creating an index in a digital/HTML5 publication? Can you point me to these instructions so I can create an index for a digital/HTML5 project? Or, maybe this index creation capability will not be available until QXP 2018?

Please see my previous question about indexes: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=29163&p=126138#p126138

Again, thank you for your kind help.

Best Wishes,

Sarbjit Singh
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Sarbjit Singh » 07 Mar 2018, 08:57

You are correct, the index palette is disabled for Digital Layouts in QuarkXPress 2017. However, in to-be-released QuarkXPress 2018, we have enabled the palette for Digital Layouts as well.

If you are duplicating a Print Layout and Digital Layout, the index is maintained even in QuarkXPress 2017.

saratogacoach

Post by saratogacoach » 07 Mar 2018, 09:44

Thank you, Sarbjit,

From what I am understanding, I will be able to create/build an index in a digital/HTML5 publication using the new QXP2018.

Wonderful new feature for digital/HTML5 publishing! :)

Best Wishes,

saratogacoach

Post by saratogacoach » 13 Mar 2018, 19:23

A thought for a wish list item...

For digital/HTML5 publications, may be useful to have an HTML object, which can be inserted on a specific page or master page, for user word searching. In a non-fiction eBook or other non-fiction document, this would allow a reader to find other instances of a topic/word they are interested in, and if hyperlinked (a possible search box optional on-off feature), they could navigate there. Maybe an alternative to indexing in an HTML5 publication?

saratogacoach

Post by saratogacoach » 18 Mar 2018, 09:53

Possibly an easier way to have an optional text/word search in a technical publication: QXP developers could add/script it into the HTML5 web player (new function in PressRunWidgets.js?) as an optional player toolbar button (HTML5 Export Options>Reader Controls>new "Text/Word Search" checkbox).

Return to “QuarkXPress 2018: General”