Giving up on Xpress

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2018 and QuarkXPress 2018 Pro (Mac App Store variant).

For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/
eyoungren

Re: Giving up on Xpress

Post by eyoungren » 10 Jan 2019, 11:16

I learned XPress 3.0.3 in college. My first job as an Ad Compositor was using XPress 4.0.4.

I am a longtime user and advocate of XPress, but unfortunately due to budget was never able to get past XPress 8.5.1 in paid usage. At the time, version 8 was never optimized for PowerPC Macs and that's the hardware I was using.

I also realized that if I was ever to need another job I had to learn InDesign. So, under my own initiative I converted to ID in 2011 at work. Why not get paid to learn the program? I was never going to learn it on my own time.

I set about creating my own XPress shortcuts in ID. Just about everything I could replicate from XPress I did with ID. I even set up the interface so that keyboard commands would work when used (because ID palettes must be open).

It was a hard conversion and there are still things I hate about ID that XPress does better. Problem for me now is, that I am so far behind the curve with XPress that I don't know the tool anymore in it's present version.

But what I discovered is that XPress is oriented towards the keyboard while InDesign is oriented towards the mouse. Since I'm more of a keyboard person this irritates me with InDesign.

But in any case, having experience in both apps allows me to go anywhere.

Jiri Melnicky

Post by Jiri Melnicky » 10 Jan 2019, 13:05

Sirish Nair (Quark): Invoke Preferences dialog > Go to Key Shortcuts pane.
Correct answer: Be glad you work on MAC. Windows users do not have this option at all!
Eizo SX2461W, Dell XPS 8500 - Intel Core i7-3770, 12 GB RAM, Win 8.1, QXP3.1–QXP2018 (Czech version)

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 10 Jan 2019, 16:29

Jiri Melnicky wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 13:05
Sirish Nair (Quark): Invoke Preferences dialog > Go to Key Shortcuts pane.
Correct answer: Be glad you work on MAC. Windows users do not have this option at all!
Yes! This is one of those things that I would think could be classed as low-hanging fruit. It should simply be added (and the Mac-only vertical measurement palette).

Who knows? Maybe there will be a poll for those things...

Return to “QuarkXPress 2018: General”