Activation issue after BIOS upgrade

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2018.
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.
Jiri Melnicky

Activation issue after BIOS upgrade

Post by Jiri Melnicky » 12 Feb 2021, 13:38

After upgrading the BIOS on a Dell computer, all installed versions of 2016, 2017, 2018 require a new activation. When you try to reactivate, the software reports that the number of activations has been exhausted.
How the story went: I originally had version 2016/2017/2018 installed on a computer that stopped working after a few years (it didn't turn on at all). Therefore, it was not possible to transfer the license to the new computer. I had to buy a new computer and installed 2016/2017/2018 here. So I used the option of installing one license on second computer. During one year of use on a new computer, QuarkXPress has required reactivation three times for unknown reasons. It wasn't after upgrading Windows, the program suddenly stopped working and prompted me to activate it.
Today, after upgrading the BIOS, not a single version of QuarkXPress works for me. Chat support wrote me that I had exhausted all activations (I can even be glad that I have the option of 2 activations and I used 3).
This is a really incredible process - QuarkXPress has a bug because it requires a new activation for no reason (a distributor in the Czech Republic confirmed to me that I am not the first customer with this problem). Chat support, sent me the exact time and date when I reactivated. The support must certainly see that these reactivations, which I did not cause, are performed in one license on ONE computer. Nevertheless, she refused to cancel these activations so that I could use the program. I have three versions of the program that I really need for my work and none of the versions works.
Eizo SX2461W, Dell XPS 8930 - Intel Core i7-9700K, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 Pro, QXP3.1–QXP2018 (Czech version)

MikeWenzloff

Re: Activation issue after BIOS upgrade

Post by MikeWenzloff » 13 Feb 2021, 14:57

Hello Jiri,

Same thing happened to me after my Dell desktop updated the bios. Same response re activations. It took a day or two and a few back and forths via email, but Quark Support cleared the activations and provided new numbers. In my case, because I had each version back to QXP 9, I think 4 versions were affected. In my case, the 2020 version required a new activation after a QXP update.

I would encourage you to keep at it.

I have also written to Quark that like some applications I use, Quark needs to provide a web interface whereby we can activate/deactivate for ourselves. It would save both the customers' sanity and their time.

Jiri Melnicky

Re: Activation issue after BIOS upgrade

Post by Jiri Melnicky » 14 Feb 2021, 12:45

Thanks for the reply. The distributor in the Czech Republic requested the installation codes and promised to resolve the matter as soon as possible directly from Quark. I'm really upset, I need to work on periodicals. We probably won't see license management. QuarkXPress can be run without regular (for example, monthly) online verification, and Quark has no control on how many computers the software is installed on. Therefore, it is solved through authorization, but it is an absurd solution. Quark does not expect the computer to stop working completely. Then the license cannot be transferred. Then an unexpected Windows or BIOS update occurs and you're at zero! You look like a cheater ... QuarkXPress Bussiness has a license management, but it's an annual overpayment with an unacceptable price and terms. You don't pay, you don't run the program ...
Eizo SX2461W, Dell XPS 8930 - Intel Core i7-9700K, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 Pro, QXP3.1–QXP2018 (Czech version)

Return to “QuarkXPress 2018: General”