First feedback to QuarkXPress 2018

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2018 (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/
Jiri Melnicky

First feedback to QuarkXPress 2018

Post by Jiri Melnicky » 11 May 2018, 11:22

First impressions: Faster than version 2017. Speed approximately the same as version 2016. A significantly larger font preview - hurray! Unfortunately: After changing the font, it can not work for about 2 seconds with the program - it is very unpleasant. Inactive bookmarks in the palette are too dark. Pallets are bigger about sliders - they occupy more workspaces. Undocked measurement palette of is now huge and still too "magnet" to the edge - this solution is unusable for those who want to have a palette in the center of the monitor and not to the left. Quark developers, please allow us to move the items in the docked palette as needed by the user. Corel can do it for 20 years - inspire yourself!
Eizo SX2461W, Dell XPS 8500 - Intel Core i7-3770, 12 GB RAM, Win 8.1, QXP3.1–QXP2018 (Czech version)

Jiri Melnicky

Missing "Modify" dialog

Post by Jiri Melnicky » 11 May 2018, 23:54

The new Measurements Pallete of Windows results in another "sacrifice". After 30 years, the "Modify" dialog box disappeared, which could be called through the Ctrl + double-click mouse. This window opened at the CENTER of the screen. Now this offer has completely disappeared. Are Quark developers really thinking that the palette of measurement that forces us to have left bottom or top left is an ergonomic solution that suits everyone? Oh no!
Last edited by Jiri Melnicky on 12 May 2018, 00:46, edited 1 time in total.
Eizo SX2461W, Dell XPS 8500 - Intel Core i7-3770, 12 GB RAM, Win 8.1, QXP3.1–QXP2018 (Czech version)

Jiri Melnicky

Missing "Paragraph Attributes" dialog

Post by Jiri Melnicky » 12 May 2018, 00:42

The Paragraph Attributes dialog has also disappeared. The clear window with texts on the center of screen is now replaced with a completely unclear "Measurement Palette" with badly recognizable icons. Were you used to Ctrl + Shift + F? Now forget about it. These changes to the worse are a great disappointment to me. I would really like to see a single user who is excited about this change.

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: First feedback to QuarkXPress 2018

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 12 May 2018, 04:09

Hi Jiri,

we made that change on MacOS already a few versions before and most people enjoy the non-obstructing settings.

All shortcut keys are still the same, so command+shift+f brings you to the correct place in the measurement palette.

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Jiri Melnicky

Post by Jiri Melnicky » 13 May 2018, 13:29

I already understand this solution - the changes are displayed "live" and the values can be changed with the arrow keys. Which is good. Anyway, the measuring palette does not suit me - I have to constantly turn my head to the left. Why is the magnet in the pallet so absurdly strong? This solution does not allow the pallet to loosen and move more to the center of the monitor. At Adobe, this is solved very well - the palette magnetizes very gently at the edge.

Pierrot

Post by Pierrot » 15 May 2018, 01:55

Hello, Matthias,

1. Where the first part of the Item menu had gone - Modify, Frame, Runaround etc.?

2. Why when the program is just loaded, nothing shows until I click with the mouse?

I am under Windows.

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 15 May 2018, 03:03

Hi Pierrot,

all shortcut keys you mentioned display the appropriate tab in the measurement palette. So Command+B opens that tab, selects the first field, you can immediately type. Same for all other commands.

Your second question I do not understand, sorry. Can you please elaborate?

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Pierrot

Post by Pierrot » 15 May 2018, 03:21

Matthias,

Double click on the shortcut. The program begins to load and is finally fully loaded. At this moment the screen is light gray with nothing on it, excepting the tiny ribbon above with the titles of the menus. Only after I click on the screen the windows of the last program usage appear. I firstly thought that is quit loading until I noticed the ribbon with the menus titles.

P. S. By the way, at this moment the Quark site is in German.

Return to “QuarkXPress 2018: General”