Simple question for character style format

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2018 (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/
urs7000

Simple question for character style format

Post by urs7000 » 22 May 2018, 04:12

Hello, great to have Quark Xpress 2018!

Other layout programs such as InDesign and the Web know casadated paragraph style and character style . How can I use this in Quark Xpress ?

Example:
# Title with colored word
Continuous text with blue word.

The first line is the paragraph style 'Headline' with Arial 18 Pt black...
The second line is the paragraph style 'Normal' with Times 12 Pt black...

Now I want to color the words 'colored' and 'blue' in blue, all other settings like font size and so on should be kepted.

The character style format 'blue' that I can create requires the definition of font size and so on. I have to create two character style formats: one for Headline' and one for 'Normal'.

Is there no other solution?

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: Simple question for character style format

Post by Sirish Nair (Quark) » 23 May 2018, 00:17

Hi urs7000,

You just need to create one character style sheet 'blue' for words 'colored' and 'blue'. You need to create two paragraph style sheets 'Headline' and 'Normal' having embedded character styling. (Create a new paragraph style sheet > Go to General tab > Character style > Default)
Sirish Nair
Senior Technical Lead, Quality Assurance
QUARKXPRESS PUBLISHING R&D (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
A-45, Industrial Area, Phase 8-B, Mohali, Punjab, India Pin: 160059
sinair@quark.com | http://www.quark.com

Sarbjit Singh
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Sarbjit Singh » 23 May 2018, 08:36

urs7000 wrote: The character style format 'blue' that I can create requires the definition of font size and so on. I have to create two character style formats: one for Headline' and one for 'Normal'.

Is there no other solution?
QuarkXPress offers a "Based on" option while defining a new Style Sheet. You may use that and just change the attribute that you want, which is color in your case. So you can create a new style sheet based on Title, and change its color. You can then apply that to the selected words. However, you need to do this for all the style sheets you want to extend. The obvious advantage is that the changes made in the source style will be inherited by styles based on the parent style sheet.

QuarkXPress does not let you create style sheet with only a few attributes. You must define all of the attributes, even if the values are just the defaults.

urs7000

Post by urs7000 » 23 May 2018, 14:51

ok, now I understand it. But I think, that it is a disadvantage, if there are no cascading styles like in other programs. (Case closed)

Return to “QuarkXPress 2018: General”