PDF export issues with eps images

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2018 and QuarkXPress 2018 Pro (Mac App Store variant).

For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/
MarkyBoy

PDF export issues with eps images

Post by MarkyBoy » 23 May 2018, 10:58

Is anyone else experiencing issues with pdf export of eps images?

I am having a lot of random problems with eps image exports, lines looking thicker than they should be, parts of images cut off - then if I export again the problems disappear to be replaced by others (without making any changes to the quark file).

I am using the default 'press' setting.

I have also noticed that when exporting to pdf quark documents that use tables that some of the grid lines in the table disappear in the pdf unless I export the pages as single pdfs. - which also sometimes cures the eps problem above.

??

MarkyBoy

Re: PDF export issues with eps images

Post by MarkyBoy » 24 May 2018, 11:33

What would be the difference between using PDF/X and using the default PDF - Press Quality setting to send files to a printer?

UtahLlama

Re: PDF export issues with eps images

Post by UtahLlama » 25 May 2018, 05:45

PDFX info here
https://www.prepressure.com/pdf/basics/pdfx-1a

PDFX is a set of standards, you can still produce good pdfs without being PDFX, you can still produce bad pdfs that pass PDFX.

main difference to default (Press settings) is PDFX 1 and 3 will not allow transparency. PDFX 4 will allow transparency but demands certain color information that is at least referenced.

working in pre-press my preference is not to bother with PDFX, I'd always prefer pdfs to have transparency, and prefer cmyk+profile but happy with cmyk without profile.

Return to “QuarkXPress 2018 and QuarkXPress 2018 Pro: General”