New/Custom PDF styles not being saved?

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2018 (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/
amckinney

New/Custom PDF styles not being saved?

Post by amckinney » 09 Jul 2018, 08:40

In previous versions, when I create a new/custom PDF style in the PDF Export Options dialog box, it would be there permanently.

With QXP2018, if I want to create a new PDF style, it only survives until I quit the program. When I restart QXP, only the default styles remain...I have to re-enter the custom ones.

Is there any way to make these custom styles permanent additions once again?

MikeWenzloff

Re: New/Custom PDF styles not being saved?

Post by MikeWenzloff » 09 Jul 2018, 17:06

Hmm. I cannot remember any Q version where one could actually save a PDF output style directly in the Export PDF dialog.

One can "capture" changes to an already created style, and here they do survive an exit/restart event. But they are still temporary and once anything is changed those settings become the captured style regardless of clicking on the Capture Settings button. At least I think that's the past/current behavior.

One can create a PDF output profile that is then available to choose from at any given export to pdf event, whether in the current or future exports. However, say I have a PDF output style named "Mikey." I can choose it from the drop-down box in the PDF Export dialog. Once finished exporting, go back to do another export and it will always report as "Captured Settings" in the PDF Style: drop-down. I have requested this remember the actual name of the output style before but it hasn't happened.

Mike

Ramesh Yella
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Ramesh Yella » 10 Jul 2018, 03:44

There is an option to save current settings as new PDF output style in "PDF Style" combo in PDF Export Options dialog, however, it is working as previous. You can save PDF output style and same is still available after QXP restart.
amckinney, can you please confirm OS version and steps you are following?

Mike, the current behaviour of "Capture Settings" has a benefit of holding any overrides to the selected PDF Output Style. if we start remembering the name, we may have to handle both the cases one for override scenario and another saved output style used as is.

Thanks,
Ramesh
Buy at your favorite dealer – Or call us: http://goo.gl/olNirw – Or buy here: http://goo.gl/y8PbKO

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 10 Jul 2018, 07:22

Ramesh Yella wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 03:44
There is an option to save current settings as new PDF output style in "PDF Style" combo in PDF Export Options dialog, however, it is working as previous. You can save PDF output style and same is still available after QXP restart...
By gosh, it is there. I don't think I have ever noticed it. Thank you, Ramesh!
Ramesh Yella wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 03:44
Mike, the current behaviour of "Capture Settings" has a benefit of holding any overrides to the selected PDF Output Style. if we start remembering the name, we may have to handle both the cases one for override scenario and another saved output style used as is. Thanks, Ramesh
In the event that a pdf output style is not altered, though, it would be nice if the style used would be presented the next time. In the event that it was changed in any way, the PDF Output Style Name followed by [Modified] so...

Mike's Default [Modified]

Would be better than always presenting "Captured Settings." It is more descriptive and, well, accurate.

Thank you, Mike

Return to “QuarkXPress 2018: General”