The Beauty of QuarkXpress 2018

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2018.
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.
dannyrome9

The Beauty of QuarkXpress 2018

Post by dannyrome9 » 19 Aug 2018, 11:46

Hello all,

Just wanted to share my happiness with QuarkXpress. After years of using InDesign (and stopping at Version CS 5-I refuse to subscribe to my software), I made the decision to come back to QuarkXpress. I little bit of stumbling at first (unlearning a decade + of workflow and shortcuts and re-aclimating to the Xpress environment) but I am fully in the QuarkXpress world for my design work and use Affinity Photo and Designer. Big part of the switch was the magazine I Art Direct, "Skin Art." 100 pages each issue. The issue I just sent to press was the first completed cover to cover in QuarkXpress. Stepping out of what was my comfort zone and trusting QuarkXpress to deliver the goods. Very satisfying. Full disclosure, my freelance work is entirely separate from the print shop where I work full time. There, I work on a Windows 10 machine with the complete up to date CC and my personal opinion is that Adobe is coasting. There may be some features that InDesign has the I wish QuarkXpress had, but there's nothing hindering my designs. I'll also add that Quark support has been amazing and VERY responsive.
SkinArt170HiResCOVER.jpg
SkinArt170HiResCOVER.jpg (238.35 KiB) Viewed 5394 times

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: The Beauty of QuarkXpress 2018

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 19 Aug 2018, 16:09

Thank you, Danny, for sharing this. And great that you are happy with QuarkXPress.

May I ask please which features you are missing?

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

dannyrome9

Post by dannyrome9 » 19 Aug 2018, 17:10

Matthias,

Just some of the typography options (bevel and emboss, outer glow, inner glow).
Perhaps as I'm still discovering facets of QuarkXpress after being away so long I may not know where
some features are. Is there a feature that gives the option of having the type/text stroke on the outside of the character?
For some fonts if I increase the stroke beyond 2 points it "chokes" the character.

Only other feature (and I've tried this) is importing multiple images at once into a page layout. I've tried using the Script "Fldr to Select Pboxes"
and it doesn't work for me entirely. So far I've only managed to have that work with one folder with 4 images in it. I haven't tried
every folder I've got but 99.9% of the time I get the following error message: "Can’t make item 1 of {} into type alias. [-1700]"

As to the typography functions mentioned above, I'm just used to those features from InDesign. Not that big a deal.
If there's a solution to the stroke issue mentioned above, please inform me.

All that said, for me the pluses of using QuarkXpress instead of InDesign far outweigh the minor differences.
In the 9 months I've been using QuarkXpress I've produced the same level of finished work that I was producing with InDesign.

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 20 Aug 2018, 09:17

Excellent work, Danny!

Mike

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 20 Aug 2018, 10:19

Hi Danny,

bevel end emboss are not (yet) features in QuarkXPress.
They will be in the next survey, where users can rank importance of new features.

The same for stroke inside or outside, currently it is always "middle".

Have you tried "Image Grid" (Utilities menu)?

And please join our community on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/

I posted your post there too, but Facebook seemed to have removed it (maybe due to the cover photo?).

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

dannyrome9

Post by dannyrome9 » 20 Aug 2018, 10:28

Matthias,

I'm not one for Facebook. Perhaps they removed the post because they found the cover model showing so much skin objectionable?

As to the features discussed, I'm patient. The more I use QuarkXpress, the less I miss any of the features of InDesign.
I will look into Image Grid as per your suggestion.

pjanssen

Post by pjanssen » 21 Aug 2018, 06:33

A workaround for the stroke outside issue: make a copy of the text and put it directly on top of the text with the stroke and remove the stroke.

Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2018-08-21 um 13.32.40.png
Bildschirmfoto 2018-08-21 um 13.32.40.png (40.93 KiB) Viewed 5370 times

dannyrome9

Post by dannyrome9 » 21 Aug 2018, 08:05

pjannsen,

I actually do that now. I was wondering if there were a simpler solution, but thanks all the same. Great minds think alike.

Return to “QuarkXPress 2018: General”