find/change plain text to superscript

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2018 and QuarkXPress 2018 Pro (Mac App Store variant).

For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/
S-J

find/change plain text to superscript

Post by S-J » 18 Oct 2018, 03:38

I am not having success in find/change functionality when trying to find and change say H2O in a chemical formula where the 2 is to be subscripted.
The same happens with trying to superscript numbers. This happens in the process of copying and pasting MS Word technical papers into QX 2018 which loses the text attributes. Even if I import the paper through the QX import function the super/subscripts are initially retained but as soon as I apply the technical journal paragraph style, the superscripts/subscripts are lost and I then have to reinstate them manually. Either way of importing or copying the text into QX ends up with having to redo all super/subscripts manually.
I have exhausted all my knowledge of Quarkxpress 2018 but remain stumped on how to effect the above process with the find/change functionality.
I have done what I think is correct according to the user manual, namely untick ignore attributes and case. Then only have say '2' and text ticked in the find column and '2' and text, type style subscript ticked in change to column. That finds the relevant text but does not change when I click 'change, then find' button.
Really appreciate any suggestions, or am I just not seeing the obvious?

S-J

Re: find/change plain text to superscript

Post by S-J » 19 Oct 2018, 01:14

I am surprised there has been no response to my post and have to wonder if this is a shortcoming of QuarkXpress or a fault with 2018 to simply find some text and change it to super- or subscript. Just tried it with MS Word and there the operation is trivial, yet I cannot do same with QuarkXpress 2018.
User guide is of no help with this specific question and I just wondered if I am chasing a ghost by expecting Quark to execute what I consider to be a trivial operation.

S-J

Re: find/change plain text to superscript

Post by S-J » 21 Oct 2018, 02:42

Thank you to the Quark community for all your help (none), but I figured it out and it turns out to be due to an annoying default I had not suspected to be at play here. The issue is as follows, when one sets up a character style sheet the type styles are defaulted to
Character style sheet.png
Character style sheet.png (4.91 KiB) Viewed 298 times
P greyed in, and rest of the attributes white. Similarly, as soon as one ticks type style in the find change functionality, P is greyed by default with the rest of the attributes still black. I initially thought nothing of that as that is a similar behaviour to the edit type style window, then ticked on say subscript and that becomes greyed, which I assumed was the default behaviour to select subscript. Turns out I was wrong, one has to click on the subscript functionality a second time to switch off the greyed P (with the subscript still greyed) and then QX will superscript/subcript the text with find change.
I find this inconsistent behaviour between two identical looking functionalities annoying and just simply poor software design, unless someone can convince me there is a "higher" purpose behind this design. Certainly a non-intuitive time waster when one is relatively new to the software.

Return to “QuarkXPress 2018 and QuarkXPress 2018 Pro: General”