Arabic right left

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2018 and QuarkXPress 2018 Pro (Mac App Store variant).

For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/
Anthony Barnett

Arabic right left

Post by Anthony Barnett » 31 Oct 2018, 13:38

When I copy from another source and paste in an Arabic word whose glyphs correctly read right to left, the glyphs read incorrectly in Quark left to right. Why? And how do I stop that? Thanks

Anthony Barnett

Re: Arabic right left

Post by Anthony Barnett » 04 Nov 2018, 15:49

I'm sorry no one seems able to help with this. But, I have discovered that there is a further problem with pasting an Arabic word into Quark. Not only does it come out the wrong way round but also certain glyphs get changed. Why should this happen in Quark? It does not happen in, e.g., simpler software such as Pages or Word, where the pasting comes out absolutely correctly: correct glyphs in the correct right to left order.

Sergio62

Post by Sergio62 » 05 Nov 2018, 01:30

Hello Anthony,

XPress does not support writing the Arabic language from right to left.

There is this XTension: http://www.layoutltd.com/onlinestore.php

Anthony Barnett

Post by Anthony Barnett » 05 Nov 2018, 03:49

Oh, I see. Thank you, Sergio. At that price I'll stick to manually dealing with the glyphs in the few words I need.

Anthony Barnett

Post by Anthony Barnett » 05 Nov 2018, 03:57

It does seem quite odd that Quark does not support right to left without one having to buy an expensive extension. Especially considering that, as I said, simpler software such as Pages and Word do support right to left with correct glyphs and correct glyph placing.

Return to “QuarkXPress 2018 and QuarkXPress 2018 Pro: General”