Font bug in Quark 2018!

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2018 and QuarkXPress 2018 Pro (Mac App Store variant).

For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/
hansvdwoerd

Font bug in Quark 2018!

Post by hansvdwoerd » 13 Nov 2018, 05:48

Hello, just purchased Quark 2018. Try to select a native bold style of a font but then it's marked as bold. When i deselect the highlighted bold (under the font name) it's set to medium, so it's not the bold version of the type but a bolded medium.

This version is totally useless for me until this problem is solved.

hansvdwoerd

Re: Font bug in Quark 2018!

Post by hansvdwoerd » 13 Nov 2018, 06:27

When export to pdf in quark 2018 I get a warning about 'bolded’ text.
When saved to previous version (2017) all my bold texts are bolded (B under the fontname marked). So I must manually replace this to normal bold.

This is a unacceptable bug - shame on Quark - and want to claim a refund if this problem is not solved soon.

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Sirish Nair (Quark) » 14 Nov 2018, 00:50

Plain, Bold, Italics buttons in the measurement palette/ style sheet dialog and Plain, Bold, Italics with angular brackets in Usage dialog indicate the font face of a font style.
Previously, font styles were not mapped to their true font faces. All font styles were mapped to Plain font face. Hence you had an Avenir Heavy or Arial Italic font style mapped to Plain font face. This was an incorrect behavior. Even, though the behavior was incorrect, it didn't create a visible difference on the layout or output. But if you clicked a Bold or Italic button, then Bold/ Italic styling would get applied on the Plain font face. If the font family had a font style which had a Bold or Italic font face then the font style would change to that font style. But, if the font family didn't have a font style which had a Bold or Italic font face, then faux bold or faux Italic would get applied. Additionally, if the applied font style had a bold/ Italic font face, then on clicking Bold/ Italic button, faux bold or faux Italic would get applied. For example, clicking Bold button if applied font was Avenir Heavy, would result faux bold getting applied. Faux bold or faux Italic is not advisable during print output, hence it was advised not to click Bold, Italic button for print safe file.
Faux styling is indicated on the Bold/ Italic button using a small warning icon (yellow triangle icon) over the button and in Usage dialog.
Now, in QuarkXPress 2018, font styles are mapped to their true font faces (i.e.) the font face available within the font style, hence the chances of inadvertently faux bold or faux Italic getting applied have reduced. Font styles like Bold, Black, Heavy, Semi Bold, SemiBold Condensed- all contain Bold font face (hence bold type style button will be selected). If a font family doesn’t have a font style having a Plain font face, and the user applies Plain type style then font style field will display as blank.
Be assured, that if a Bold or Italic button gets pressed on selecting a font style, or Bold or Italics is displayed in the Usage dialog within angular brackets, then the font style itself has a bold/ Italic font face. You don't need to click Bold/ Italic button to remove it. You just need to use the font styles menu. Leave the Bold/ Italic buttons aside. If you use the Bold/ Italic button, there are chances that faux styling get applied if font family doesn't have a font style with a bold/ Italic font face.
Sirish Nair
Senior Technical Lead, Quality Assurance
QUARKXPRESS PUBLISHING R&D (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
A-45, Industrial Area, Phase 8-B, Mohali, Punjab, India Pin: 160059
sinair@quark.com | http://www.quark.com

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Sirish Nair (Quark) » 14 Nov 2018, 00:51

hansvdwoerd wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 06:27
When export to pdf in quark 2018 I get a warning about 'bolded’ text.
When saved to previous version (2017) all my bold texts are bolded (B under the fontname marked). So I must manually replace this to normal bold.

This is a unacceptable bug - shame on Quark - and want to claim a refund if this problem is not solved soon.
Kindly share the project and fonts with you are experiencing the warning issue during PDF export. You can mail to me at sinair@quark.com
Sirish Nair
Senior Technical Lead, Quality Assurance
QUARKXPRESS PUBLISHING R&D (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
A-45, Industrial Area, Phase 8-B, Mohali, Punjab, India Pin: 160059
sinair@quark.com | http://www.quark.com

Return to “QuarkXPress 2018 and QuarkXPress 2018 Pro: General”