I need some help exporting to JPEG

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2018.
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.
johnnyvn

Re: I need some help exporting to JPEG

Post by johnnyvn » 25 Mar 2019, 20:32

MikeWenzloff wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 18:58
Hello back at you...

I highly recommend using a PDF generated from QuarkXPress versus exporting to a JPG file.

Another of the three files is the GRACoL 2006 ICC profile. I don't know whether you already have this profile. I included it just in case you don't have it. I also don't know what OS you use as to installation procedures. I use Windows. So in Windows you can extract the ICC profile to your desktop. Then select it, right-click on it and choose Install...

The other file in the ZIP is an output profile (it's an XML file type). Moo wants a PDF/X-1a type of PDF, and using the GRACoL ICC color profile. This is how this output profile is set up. But it depends on the GRACoL profile being installed. You can import this color profile into QXP and it will be all set up properly for exporting to PDF and choosing this PDF output profile.

If the above makes sense, you're all set. However, if you need any help, please feel free to ask questions and we can help you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xq2wyqv97n5ku9o/Moo.zip?dl=0

Take care, Mike
Mike, again, thank you. I've placed the GRACoL 2006 ICC profile in its proper place on my Mac. But when does it come into play? For instance, when I'm exporting to PDF and I choose "Options" at the bottom of the Export window, I can choose the PDF/X-1a. So far so good. But is there some place that I'm supposed to enter - or see a menu item for - GRACoL 2006? If, while still in the Export window, I choose "Color" in the left hand menu, I don't see GRACoL in either of the pull down menus. I only see Mode: Composite and Setup: defaults to "Composite CMYK and Spot".

So what I'm not understanding is where this GRACoL profile is supposed to play a role in my process.

Might you know what I'm missing?

Thanks much,

John

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 25 Mar 2019, 21:26

Hi John,

Did you import the Moo.xml output profile?

If not, with the GRACoL profile installed, do so. I use Windows so there may be a difference to the screen shot below.
To access the output profile, the screen shot shows I have accessed the Output Styles window. On Windows, it is under the Edit menu near/at the bottom of it.

Once you open that Output Styles window, press the import button and navigate to it (if you have not removed it from the ZIP, do it beforehand). Then you will see the following:
capture-002604.png
capture-002604.png (47.61 KiB) Viewed 1501 times
Then, if you have just now installed the output style, when you go to export a PDF, use the dropdown for PDF Style and other than turning marks on or off, etc, the profile will use the GRACoL profile.
capture-002605.png
capture-002605.png (44.76 KiB) Viewed 1501 times

johnnyvn

Post by johnnyvn » 26 Mar 2019, 16:28

Mike,

Thanks so much once again! Using your excellent instructions, I was able to import the MXL file (which I had overlooked, as you suspected).

Now, I see that I can choose that, and when I export the PDF, it does look like the CYMK version of the business card. I'm still not happy with the limited color options of CYMK, but that's another issue entirely. At least this PDF looks like my CYMK Quark file in terms of color.

Thank you! Let me see if I can move to the next step...

John

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 26 Mar 2019, 18:29

Excellent, John. Thanks for reporting back.

BTW, I don't know if you use Facebook or not. There is a closed QuarkXPress group that is fantastic and answers are quick.

Take care, Mike

johnnyvn

Post by johnnyvn » 26 Mar 2019, 19:30

Thanks, Mike. I do use Facebook; when you say "closed" does that mean I have to know someone to gain entry to the group? Do you have any sort of link on that?

Here's another question. I wrote to another online print company (similar to Moo) and asked them for a link to their color specs for submittal. I was given this link:

https://www.december.com/html/spec/colorcmyk.html

However, if I choose a color on that chart, for instance, way down on the page, on the left hand side, there is a color called "Cat Eye", and if I duplicate those settings onto the CMYK settings of a color in Quark, what I see on the MacBook screen doesn't look the same coming from Quark as it does when I view the color swatch on that link.

Why would that be, given that I'm viewing both of the colors on the same RGB MacBook Pro screen?

John

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 26 Mar 2019, 23:24

If that link is what a printing company sent you, I would run away from them. I'm serious. To give the company itself the benefit of the doubt, it could have been a completely clueless individual giving out that link. But no, and I mean no, self-respecting print establishment would give that link to anyone.

They are using RGB values. So if you defined color as RGB, they should look the same/extremely similar. But that doesn't help you at all.

There use to be good CMYK swatch books available. Pantone has CMYK swatch books still, but the other ones were better in my opinion. The ones I like have have been out of print for several years. However, swatch books may not help you as much as they could oncee upon a time because they were printed using an offset printing method versus how low-cost digital presses print. And there is a difference even among good digital presses.

Color varies from establishment to establishment, from one type of equipment to another, one technology to another. Swatch books were/are printed using specific equipment (offset presses) using particular inks onto specific types of paper. So unless one prints using the same equipment/ink and paper, there would be variance using a different setup (heck, time of day and moisture content at the same establishment can affect a job. Good shops may calibrate a couple times a day). But what swatch books do is to give a good idea of what a certain color mix can/would look like.

May I suggest getting a sample? You may have to contact them directly if they don't actually provide that service. I wouldn't send the actual job. Just a normal page size with no bleed and boxes of your colors printed to the same type of paper. Do note Moo might not do a sample.

By closed, I mean one needs to join the group. Quark has two Facebook "pages." One is for the company's presence and is not a closed group. The other is the one I mean and is right...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/

johnnyvn

Post by johnnyvn » 28 Mar 2019, 18:36

Thanks, Mike! I knew that chart was too good to be true! Darn....

johnnyvn

Post by johnnyvn » 28 Mar 2019, 21:10

OK, onto my next issue.

I've pretty much settled on my CMYK colors and have the business card designed. Now I'm ready to export from Quark to PDF and upload to Moo.com.

But here's a new problem. When exporting from Quark to PDF, a couple letters of one font keep getting corrupted. Attached here are two screenshots; one showing the font in Quark...notice the nice rounded curves. The other showing that same file exported to PDF; notice the corruption of the letter O especially, but also the A and perhaps others in smaller ways.

I have opened Font Book on my Mac and selected "Verify Font" and all seems fine there.

Any ideas of what could be causing this problem?

BTW, the font is called Walkway UltraBold

Thank you!

John
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 7.03.16 PM.png
Font as showing in Quark
Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 7.03.16 PM.png (38.47 KiB) Viewed 1451 times

johnnyvn

Post by johnnyvn » 28 Mar 2019, 21:12

Not sure if my last Attachment made it through. Here's the PDF export again.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 7.04.46 PM.png
Font following export to PDF from Quark
Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 7.04.46 PM.png (30.64 KiB) Viewed 1451 times

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 29 Mar 2019, 06:57

Hi John,

Judging from the age of the font, I would surmise something is corrupt in the font.

From which on-line place did you obtain the font?
Did you convert to curves (called boxes in Q)?

I can look inside the font itself and see if something is up.

Mike

Return to “QuarkXPress 2018: General”