Is there a mouseover for pdf files?

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2018.
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.
BruceHarris

Is there a mouseover for pdf files?

Post by BruceHarris » 21 Sep 2019, 10:04

Can one create a mouseover with text box popup?

Hover over a difficult word to see popup w/definition

In publishing a children's book there may be some difficult words to understand.
In web design one can easily make a mouseover popup w/words > like a small text box with the word/definition. In this way they can learn a new word and move on without sending them to a "glossary" in the back of the book.

examples:
contenders > a person or group competing with others to achieve something
dispensary > "a room where medicines are prepared and provided"
[examples may be a little strong for kids, just trying to give an example]

Thank you for your time

MikeWenzloff

Re: Is there a mouseover for pdf files?

Post by MikeWenzloff » 21 Sep 2019, 11:54

No, that concept isn't really a supported PDF construct.

That said, one likely could make something akin to a pop-up using Acrobat and hidden layers that can be viewable upon a mouse-over event, but otherwise hidden from view. It would take a lot of manual work, though, and likely not usable using any pdf reader other than Adobe reader and likely not on mobile devices.

Personally, I would use hyperlinks to a back of the book glossary...or build an HTML5 publication to emulate the effect.

BruceHarris

Post by BruceHarris » 22 Sep 2019, 10:33

Thank you for your time MikeWenzloff!

BruceHarris

Post by BruceHarris » 22 Sep 2019, 14:05

Personally, I would use hyperlinks to a back of the book glossary...or build an HTML5 publication to emulate the effect.
Yes, a book built for html5 is a great option and much more interactive.

The problem I am having is if you have a text link to send a child (8-10 yrs old) to the back of the book for enhanced information on a subject word "how do you get them back to where they were reading." There is no back button. Acrobat Reader DC has a "back button" but not for links.

I do not want dumb down the vocabulary in the children's book just because there is no back button to a glossy, nor the original thought of a simple text hoverer to solve such a simple thing.

Return to “QuarkXPress 2018: General”