Doc created in qe2017 not working in qe2018 with pantone colors

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2018.
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.
purplehouse

Doc created in qe2017 not working in qe2018 with pantone colors

Post by purplehouse » 26 Sep 2019, 08:22

Using quarkxpress2017 I had previously output a pdf of a book using three colors, black, pantone 1797c (red) and pantone 347c (green). The illustrations were created in photoshop using three channels, one for each color. The pdf was created perfectly, the book printed fine.

I'm now trying to output the book using quarkxpress2018. The pdf has many pages which are incorrect. Some only have two colors, either the red or green is missing, some have the colors swapped, red where green should be and vice versa.

Looking at the illustrations in photoshop which have problems being output in quark (they look perfectly fine in photoshop), I can see that the channels are defined in different orders. For example (and remember this didn't matter for qe2017 so I didn't realize it was an issue) on most channels I have the first channel defined as black, then green, then red. The ones with issues have them in a different order.

Why does the photoshop channel order affect the colors output by quark now when it didn't previously matter? It's as if you use the first illustration's color order and the rest of the book has to follow suit, even if defined differently in photoshop.

purplehouse

Re: Doc created in qe2017 not working in qe2018 with pantone colors

Post by purplehouse » 26 Sep 2019, 08:37

I'm finding that even after I standardize the order of the colors in photoshop, then update the illustration in quark, that it still isn't being displayed properly. So I have to cut the picture and import it again for the colors to show up correctly.

purplehouse

Post by purplehouse » 26 Sep 2019, 09:07

One illustration was used in two places. The first instance is two colors, the second instance is three colors.

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 26 Sep 2019, 10:39

Hmm. I've never made such a file before.

How about exporting a pdf from PS and trying that. That's what I generally use.

Return to “QuarkXPress 2018: General”