What a true perpetual license would mean

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2019.

For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/
contentedquarker

What a true perpetual license would mean

Post by contentedquarker » 26 Jun 2020, 14:14

A true "perpetual license" for buying another copy of Quark would mean dispensing with the "must buy a new copy every year" system. A true perpetual license would mean you could do a file > save as > and choose any version of Quark, like (you used to be able to do in?) Illustrator. Older versions of Microsoft Word have a free add-in where they can open, edit and save newer .docx format Word files. That's called a real "perpetual license." In order to open a Quark 9 version file in Quark 14 and then save it to Quark 9, you have to own a copy of Quark 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, and 9. That's hardly different cost-wise from Adobe's "perpetual rental" system of software marketing.

Quark is an astounding program -- I use 9.5 every day, even for editing html because of its powerful search and replace ability. I purchased Quark 9.5 and, some years later, purchased Quark 2017. I've never used Quark 2017 -- once I saved a file, I'd be unable to open it in Quark 9.5 again. So how about it, Quark? Make Quark truly "perpetual", able to back-save (or even forward-save) to any version, and I'll feel like buying a new copy.

amckinney

Re: What a true perpetual license would mean

Post by amckinney » 24 Jul 2020, 12:45

I do agree, only being able to down-save a single version has always been annoying, ESPECIALLY now that "the competition" has been able to down-save INDDs to IDML for ages, now (making their files backwards-compatible all the way to ID CS4).

You mentioned Illustrator. It no longer down-saves to every old version, but it does down-save to many of them: All versions of CC, All versions of CS, versions 8, 9 and 10, and version 3). And, of course, Photoshop compatibility can still go waaay back, if you enable it.

Markzware USED to make a MarkzTools Xtension that enabled down-saving QXP documents all the way back to v 3.3, but that software only worked as far as version 7.5, I seem to recall.

One question, though: If you have QXP2017 (which, IMO, is excellent), unless you're using two different computers (which makes it understandable), why on earth would you want to go back and open it in a "legacy" version? Technically, I have two versions of XP on my Mac right now (2018 and 2017, with 2016 sitting on the shelf), but only use the 'new' one.

As for "forward-saving", that's not something that's even necessary. The newest versions of XP can open old files just fine, (though for really-old files--you do have to use the FREE Quark Document Converter app), so your 2017 version (or the new 2020) should have no problem opening any old 9.5 documents you have.

Why did you buy 2017, then never use it? Was it a fear of a learning curve? Just curious as to why spend money on software that never gets used.

firelight

Post by firelight » 10 Sep 2020, 11:50

QX should be able open files, at the very least, 2 versions forward. Barring that, backward save 3 version back should be the bare minimum.

After a horrible experience upgrading from 9 to 10. QX10 kept crashing and tech support was completely unable to help. I spent many hours trying to get it to work, I finally gave up and didn't upgrade QX until 2019.

firelight

Post by firelight » 26 Oct 2020, 18:20

Quark is putting patches (fixes to bugs) into version updates. These updates also contain "Features". According to the download page, you don't get to download an update unless you are a current Advantage Plan Member. That means your version will be perpetually defective unless you perpetually subscribe.

Worse, Quark is fixing defects in the NEXT version of QX without fixing the version where the bug was first reported. That means your version will be perpetually defective unless you perpetually subscribe AND perpetually update to the newer version and all the new bugs that come with the new version.

Return to “QuarkXPress 2019: General”