Spell Check Misses stuff

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2019.

For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/
SteveH

Spell Check Misses stuff

Post by SteveH » 15 Oct 2019, 15:20

Can someone please spell check this sentence:
These rights apply to a non-criminal matters. If you are questioned about a criminal matter, contact an AGoA attorney immediatly.

The spell check in my web browser flags it properly, but QX2019 misses it. Even after I added the mis-spelled word to the aux dictionary, QX2019 STILL said it was OK.
Very embarrassing when the client catches it, and all I can say is my professional publishing problem says "all is well"...

Any suggestions ' solutions for a better spellcheck?

MikeWenzloff

Re: Spell Check Misses stuff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 15 Oct 2019, 16:59

immediatly

This is flagged by 2019:
Capture_000274.png
Capture_000274.png (22.12 KiB) Viewed 7880 times
As well as the AGoA acronym.

But if you add the misspelled word to the aux dict., it likely won't flag it as you've told Q it is correct.

SteveH

Post by SteveH » 15 Oct 2019, 17:35

Thanks for taking the time to look at this post.

I'm glad to know your's flagged it correctly. I even removed my Aux Dict and ran it again and the dialog went immediately to Spell Check Complete.
Do you know where the default Quark dictionary file is located/named? I'm wondering if my default file is corrupted.

This is not the first file this has happened to with me.

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 15 Oct 2019, 17:39

Oops. My language in the character style was set to English (International) which is why it got caught. Changing to English (US) missed the word.

However, I rarely use Q's native spellcheck. There are two spell check XTs for Q. I use the one by Creationauts,

https://www.creationauts.com/products/s ... -xtension/

so I can use various Hunspell dictionaries, the OS dictionary or QXP's dictionary. Which I shut off for the test and didn't realize the language thing. Spell Checker Pro also adds the red squiggly lines under misspelled words.

SteveH

Post by SteveH » 16 Oct 2019, 15:28

If you get a chance, I (in my frustration) made a dictionary file, and posted it in the forum, with a link to it in my Dropbox.

I sent it to QX support as well with this thread. See if it works for you. It has something in excess of 39,000 words.Of course I'm counting on them all being correct from the GitHub source where I found them!

I'll check out the extensions you recommended.

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 16 Oct 2019, 19:59

I went ahead and downloaded it. The text file has 370,103 words.

There are a lot of misspelled words, words that are only correct if capitalized, chemical and drug names. I figure, after looking at the file for an hour or two, that I would prune 100,000 of the words if I was to use it and properly case those that should be. It would be a true labor of love.

The XTension is perhaps a better solution, at least for myself.

SteveH

Post by SteveH » 17 Oct 2019, 10:51

WOW! Quite kind of you to take so much time. (And I knew the 39,000 was a typo after I hit send!)

I have put your suggested extension on my "buy"list, but in the meantime...
• The tech support at Quark has allowed me to send them the file to look at. Perhaps it will be improved there.
• I will take your input and do a bit of massaging of the file, but I don't know if I have that much "love" and time to update it all!
• While not perfect, it seems that it may catch a few more issues than the built in version, so if anybody else chooses to use it, just think of it as a "Beta.1" version.

And by the way, thanks for all your active involvement here on the boards. I have been in pre-press, and now full time design, for many years and have come back to Quark after being fed up with Adobe, and being forced into yet another subscription. Back in the day Quark was the heavyweight, and I really want it to be so again. I also just want it to be better!! Its a pleasure to talk with others who seem to share a similar spirit.

firelight

Post by firelight » 06 Feb 2020, 15:25

This was an eye opening topic for me and I thank you SteveH for posting it. I've been a QX user for years, and always knew the spell check would tag correct words, particularly plurals, as wrong, but I find it very alarming that it is completely missing common words that are misspelled. I also find it troubling that 3 months later, spell check still does not flag immediatly.

firelight

Post by firelight » 20 Feb 2020, 14:20

Update: I have submitted the bug to Quark tech support.

firelight

Post by firelight » 18 Mar 2020, 17:19

Update: I have been told by Quark Support that this issue has been resolved with 15.1.2

Return to “QuarkXPress 2019: General”