Font Collect for Output issue: exporting loads more fonts than used in the doc

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2020.

For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/
psst

Font Collect for Output issue: exporting loads more fonts than used in the doc

Post by psst » 19 Oct 2020, 09:00

Long time Quark user since 1992! In Quark 2020 (16.1) when I go to Collect for Output, Quark is dumping 74 extended font families into the export folder when only a few font weights of one family are used. Quark seems to copy every possible variation of the font name in my library, along with a bunch of Helvetica's which I'm not even using in the layout. "Interactivity Assets" and "App Assets" are unchecked for collection. Surely this is a bug? Please fix to just export only used doc fonts. MacOS Mojave 10.14.6. I am using Suitcase Fusion 18.2.4 font manager.

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: Font Collect for Output issue: exporting loads more fonts than used in the doc

Post by Sirish Nair (Quark) » 19 Oct 2020, 23:24

Font Management in QuarkXPress 2020 is one of the most useful features. The Collect for Output feature for Collect Fonts has been enhanced in QuarkXPress 2020.

1. While collecting fonts during Collect for Output, even if one or two font styles of a font family have been used in the layout, the complete font family will be collected.
2. Collect for Output now collect the fonts used even in the boxes on the unused Master pages
3. Collect for Output now collects the fonts applied even in unused style sheets

These enhancements are part of the new Font Management feature. Kindly refer to Font Management feature documentation in the What's New document:
https://www.quark.com/documentation/qua ... 12ccb1d4ab

Document fonts have the highest priority, followed by Application Fonts and then System fonts which have the last priority during font enumeration. If the same font family is available in more than one font location: Document fonts, System fonts; then only those font styles available in the font folder having the highest priority among them will get enumerated even if the number of font styles in these folders differ.

Therefore, if only used font styles like Bold of a font family are collected during Collect for Output; then on opening the project from CFO folder (Collect For Output Folder), only those font styles of that font family while get enumerated in the font menu even though other font styles of that font family are available on the system. Hence, the Collect Font behavior was enhanced to collect all font styles of a font family even one or two font styles of that font family are used in the layout.
Sirish Nair
Principal Engineer QA, Quality Assurance
QUARKXPRESS PUBLISHING R&D (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
A-45, Industrial Area, Phase 8-B, Mohali, Punjab, India Pin: 160059
sinair@quark.com | http://www.quark.com

psst

Re: Font Collect for Output issue: exporting loads more fonts than used in the doc

Post by psst » 20 Oct 2020, 01:48

While I appreciate Quark's effort to handle font management, which has been very problematic for a long time, you have created some nightmarish problems here. I will try to wrap my brain around this new, completely unrequested "feature", but my print vendors do not need every single variation of the font family, let alone different foundry's versions of the same-named typeface too! Before, when I sent one roman, one bold, and one italic to a printer, I didn't need to worry about them making author's corrections but accidentally choosing the wrong font weight/style, or even a completely different foundry's version of the typeface, which always differ in subtle ways. By collecting every different font variation and sending all those to my printer, you are forcing me to HAVE get the quark layout back from the printer to make the simplest of type corrections, just so that I make sure they don't use the wrong fonts. Or, as I had to do several times today, trash all the unwanted collected fonts which they absolutely do not need to have! And what do you expect me to do on my end, I work on hundreds of individual Quark files for multiple clients. I cannot possibly isolate those layouts in job folders with only the fonts intended for that particular job. What on earth have you done?

Plus I am sure that font sellers and font licensing companies would not appreciate us sending entire font collections of their typefaces, along with other foundry's font collections as well, to every printer we work with.

I will try to understand how Quark 2020 is handling font management, but this does not look good to me.

firelight

Post by firelight » 26 Oct 2020, 18:39

I completely agree. Including fonts not used in the actual document is dumb, confusing and will lead to many errors.

Why collect all fonts in the font family, when maybe only two are used? Why collect fonts from unused master pages? Why collect fonts from unused Style Sheets? - I can hardly believe it is also collecting fonts from other foundries just because they have similar/same names. That's crazy!

The new font handling features have caused so many other problems I can't use it and I've "downgraded" to QX2019.

Personally, I never had any problems managing my fonts.Why did Quark think I needed them to manage my fonts. I can install and uninstall my own fonts. I don't need Quark's "help".

psst

Post by psst » 07 Dec 2020, 11:10

firelight, thanks for backing me up on this. If others agree they need to make a statement here as well. IMO Quark now needs a new option to ONLY EXPORT FONTS USED IN THE DOCUMENT, or a separate export method to only export the fonts used. One example is attached here. This is a simple card job that uses Bembo roman, caps & small caps, and italic. Nothing else. Why on earth would I want to send all these fonts to printers (or anyone else that might process the job)? I can't even tell which version of the font I am using without checking info for each, and the list goes on. There are multiple foundries here. And no Helvetica anywhere in the job. This is the stupidest thing to come from Quark, ever.

Return to “QuarkXPress 2020: General”