Warning: Quark 2020 is now a subscription plan model

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2020.

For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/
psst

Warning: Quark 2020 is now a subscription plan model

Post by psst » 05 Mar 2021, 13:43

Be warned, when your subscription ends, you will no longer be able to launch the app or open your design files! This, DESPITE the claim on the Quark web site which says, "QuarkXPress is a Perpetual license for Windows and MAC users". This is either pure FRAUD, OR, sadly, behind our backs, and buried in some User Agreement which no one ever reads, Quark switched to the Adobe Subscription model. Or is Quark Support and my appointed Quark sales rep just trying to blackmail me/force me into renewing? My appointed sales rep literally emailed this just yesterday:
"As your active Quark Advantage Plan has Expired on 2/28/2021 and post that you will not be eligible for a further feature and version updates, as your Account Manager for your company and your first point of contact at Quark, I wanted to reach out to you with some amazing renewal pricing as listed below: [....]
Advantage Plan Includes
Lifetime License – Your creative work is not kept hostage to the subscription"
The next day, when I explained to my appointed sales rep that I had been locked out of Quark 2020, he replied, "I completely understand your situation, however your advantage program has expired, and the system can't let me change anything from my side. ... I can help you with a price that is affordable and not available on the website. The [old validation] code you have sent will not work as your plan has expired. Only help is to get approval from my Manger on a better price only for you."

IS THIS PURE, OUTRAGEOUS FRAUD??

The only reason I, and I am sure many Quark users, stuck with Quark through thick and thin, is because they offered an alternative to Adobe's subscription model. Now that most printing companies don't even support Quark, I don't see why new users would even try Quark. If Quark changes to a subscription model, they are nailing their own coffin shut. Users beware!!! :!:

March 5th, 2021, the QuarkXPress web site CLEARLY STILL STATES, "New Users/Upgrade: QuarkXPress is available as a perpetual license, which means you will always own the software. QuarkXPress with Advantage plan makes sure you are always using the most recent, feature-rich and bug-free version."

I am hoping this is a just misunderstanding and technical issue which Support will rectify. I submitted a ticket and will report back.

Last edited by psst on 05 Mar 2021, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.

MikeWenzloff

Re: Warning: Quark 2020 is now a subscription plan model

Post by MikeWenzloff » 05 Mar 2021, 19:42

If you updated to a bug/feature release past the end of your Advantage period, QXP will not run without paying to renew your Advantage subscription.

Quark should not allow these updates without at least a dialog warning that a renewal is necessary.

Under the present circumstance, your install count may be affected, but you may be able to uninstall, reinstall a version prior to the end date of your Advantage period, enter your Validation number and be all set. If this works for you, do make sure to switch the Updates to Manual. Also, make sure to update the application to any updates that occurred prior to the end of your Advantage period.

However, if the install count equals two or more, you'll still be locked out without Quark resetting the install count.

Mike

psst

Post by psst » 05 Mar 2021, 21:36

Thanks for your tips, Mike. I searched online and found a fairly old Help page for completely uninstalling Quark from my Mac, including hidden preferences. Not 100% sure that worked. I trashed and rebooted, and downloaded an earlier December (16.2) version of QXP2020 and installed that, then tried to reactivate using the new validation code I was given by online support yesterday, and received an error that said my "subscription had lapsed". Then I tried my old 2020 validation code and got a warning that it was "invalid". There's no way to edit the license code to change the serial # for the new validation code I was given, so I am officially locked out of all my Quark 2020 files. Also, not helpful at all, Support just responded to my trouble ticket by forwarding it to my appointed sales rep, who has already said that he could not do anything on his end and my only option is to renew my subscription. IE. hand over your money and you'll get your files! It doesn't seem like support are able to resolve this, and the sales rep certainly has no interest in resolving this. The current arrangement feels carefully designed to force Quark users to renew their subscriptions to use the app and access their files, whether they want to or not, and despite the now outdated marketing claiming Perpetual licenses!

Anyone who knows they won't want to renew their Advantage Plan subscription, be sure to go to Quark Update Settings under the Quark menu, and turn off Automatic updates before your plan ends. You may even want to Uninstall the Quark Updater utility (search for it). Also be sure to Uncheck Auto-renew your Advantage Plan when you log in to your account, don't Cancel the Advantage Plan, since that may cancel your current license and you may be locked out like I am. This is a complete mess and I am one furious ex-customer. I will try online support again on Monday to see if they can reset the installation count, but based on recent support experience, I am not optimistic.

psst

Post by psst » 06 Mar 2021, 00:39

Update, I tried a different online support help ("Raj") and she said that I can install version 16.0 and confirmed which validation code I can use. She sent me a download link for that version, which, by the way, was created May 25th, 2020, just less than 3 months after I paid for 1 year of software updates. I installed that version, but cannot activate the program as there is no way to enter my new or upgrade serial number in a blank, grayed-out box, so the Setup Failed. I must now try support again, though in her link email, Raj warns, "We would not be able to assist you further as your advantage plan has expired." So, in summary, Quark took my update and Advantage Plan money while I was using Quark 2019 in late February of 2020, then automatically updated me to Quark 2020 around May of 2020, then deactivates the program in Feb 2021 when my Advantage Plan expired. So all the outdated wording on the Quark web site about "perpetual license" is complete and utter bullshit and totally fraudulent. I see now that Quark was purchased by California-based Parallax capital Partners in 2017 https://parallaxcap.com/quark-acquired- ... ed-growth/ Who have obviously outsourced operations to India, no doubt with the goal to maximize profits regardless of all the work of loyal past Quark customers, just like Adobe did way back when. I also see now that Quark is available on the Apple App store, with clear wording regarding pricing that Quark is available by monthly or annual subscription, until cancelled. No mention there about perpetual licenses. The app also gets a lot of negative reviews. Well, at least I (we) now know what we are dealing with. We have been duped and scammed. QuarkXpress is now subscription only. So long, Quark!

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 06 Mar 2021, 09:02

You cannot use an installer later than the end of your Advantage period. Period.

You can get to the updaters via the Quark download page. I believe they are full installers, or give that choice, if there is no installed version.

I am using installed versions back to version 9.

psst

Post by psst » 06 Mar 2021, 11:38

Luckily I was able to resolve this with a far more understanding and helpful online support person who got me back up and running with the current version of Quark (16.3.1). Nothing happens when I go to "Quark Update Settings", which is a bit of a worry, since I don't want any future updates that might kick me out again. I had removed the Quark Updater app from the System Preferences pane. I'll keep an eye on this, fingers crossed. [update, after a restart the Quark Update Settings were restored and I switched to manual check]

Back to your last response Mike, my Advantage Plan ended Feb 28, 2021 using 16.3. I uninstalled Quark and installed the December 2020 Update (16.2), but that would not activate, "subscription ended" or something like that. Then I tired installing version 16.0 (the very first QXP2020 from May of 2020) which yesterday's support person said I could run. But the Set Up failed, and when I reached out to online help today, the nice, friendly gentlemen restored my access very quickly and without any fuss. (I wonder if my rant here helped?)

So perhaps I should change the title of this post to something like, "Advantage Plan members be very careful with subscription end dates", but I don't see a way to edit the title.

Now that Quark is available on the Apple App store, for monthly or yearly subscriptions, it seems obvious that Quark would switch to subscription only, like Adobe. But either the software needs further work so as not to boot off those of us who joined under the premise/promise of perpetual licenses (the only reason I stuck around), OR, Quark needs to update all their sales and marketing to remove the promise of perpetual license ownership, if that actually is their intention.

I hope this matter is resolved and some of this helps any of you. I apologize if my language above was rough. This was extremely aggravating.

grafiksol

Post by grafiksol » 13 Mar 2021, 12:48

Yes, I have encountered this issue myself. Spending several hundred dollars on a "perpetual license" to a Quark product only assures you of "updates" to that product as long as you have an active "Advantage Plan." So you spend that money on a product, which then is determined by the developer to have issues that need updates to fix, but in order to fix those issues you have to spend additional dollars. The purchase of a perpetual license for a product (ie QXP2019 or QXP2020 or whatever) should include all updates necessary to keep that product fully functional. Alas, that is not the Quark of today.

And with that customer "unfriendly" policy in place, the QXP "update" process should NEVER allow a customer's application to be updated beyond what Quark considers the to be "entitled" to run...yet it does. Then that customer has to struggle with getting a previous version installed that will once again launch. But ah yes, another source of revenue from Quark's perspective...too bad for the customer!!!

Perhaps a boycott of any new QXP purchases or any new "Advantage Plan" purchases in in order, until Quark fixes this outrageous policy and method of operation???

psst

Post by psst » 22 Mar 2021, 10:57

MY OPERATING VERSION OF QUARK 2020 WAS JUST DEACTIVATED AGAIN. I had started saving some back-up copies in 2019 because I was afraid this would happen, but I didn't save down backups to all recent jobs. I AM DONE WITH QUARK!

grafiksol

Post by grafiksol » 22 Mar 2021, 10:59

Have found a (possible) very suitable alternative to QuarkXPress, given their current policy of requiring continual payment for "Advantage Plan" coverage to keep previously-purchased products updated (ie fixing Quark-caused "bugs"). Affinity Publisher looks quite promising, and is most economical and once you "own" the product you are entitled to all updates to that product.

Have a look:
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/publisher/

firelight

Post by firelight » 02 Apr 2021, 10:56

Not much to add, except to second some valid points made.

1) Quark should not, under any circumstances, auto-update to a version beyond your Advantage Plan end date and then terminate access after a trial period without a very, very simple way to roll back to your previous paid version. No exceptions. Anything less than that is criminal.
Here's what I consider best policy:
  • Always turn off auto-update, no matter the software.
  • Always go the the download page and download all versions you are entitled to, no matter the software. - Yes, that is a lot of GB, but storage is cheap. Also make a back-up copy of all "mission critical" software installers.
  • Never ever loose your validation code!
  • Quark's only supports the last three current versions. After that, all downloads are disappeared.
2) Quark needs to be held accountable to provide patches for bugs and these patches need to be made available to all rightful owners.
  • I have been fighting for updates to QX2019 (and QX202) to fix bugs. Some were finally fixed in 15.2.5 for Windows, but it takes Quark about 10 months to ever fix a problem, and my experience is you have to be pretty insistent to get anything fixed.
  • I voiced my concern that their current patch method, that is, the overly-long time frame and their so-called "added features" makes bug patches unavailable to expired Advantage Plan holders. The response from Support was assurance that they would provide patches beyond the Advantage Plan expiration to a valid license holder.
  • We should hold them to this.
If you need to roll back to a previous version of Quark, here are steps, unedited, as provided by Quark Support, to uninstall Quark2020 for Win10 in order to roll back to a previous version:

Delete the QuarkXpress 2020 from the locations given below :

1. Go to progarmms and features and uninstall the QuarkXPress 2020.
2. Delete QrakXPress2019 from drive C>program files>quark>QuarkXPress 2020.
3. Go to run>type %localappdata% > Quark> Delete QuarkXPress 2020.
4. Unhide the files from C drive, then go to progarmeData>Quark > delete QuarkXPress 2020.

And then you can install 2020 older version from link below:
https://www.quark.com/Support/Downloads/

End quote.

Thanks to Mahesh M. for the quick a support! - Also you will need your validation code to install the previous version. And make sure updates are turned off.

Return to “QuarkXPress 2020: General”