Massive Font List

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2020.

For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/
grafiksol

Massive Font List

Post by grafiksol » 12 Mar 2021, 11:07

I have just begun using QXP2020, and am totally confused by the incredible number of "fonts" that are available. I have NO fonts installed in Library:Fonts, none in ~/Library/Fonts and only the "minimum required" in System:Library:Fonts. Using Suitcase Fusion (latest version) I have thirteen font families activated (old standards, like Palatino, Optima, Futura, etc). Yet the QXP2020 "Character" font list shows an incredibly large collection, with names like Baloo Regular, Gotu Regular, Shobhika,etc. What the hey?

As stated, my System:Library:Fonts folder contains only the minimum required fonts, none of which carry names like those showing as installed and available.

My search for a folder of fonts that may have been installed (somewhere) by the QXP2020 installation (like Adobe insists on doing) has so far revealed nothing.

Screenshots are attached showing System fonts, Suitcase activated fonts and the QXP list. I am most hopeful someone can perhaps clarify for me where these extraneous fonts live or are coming from so that I can remove them!

And a second question...is it possible to turn off or disable the QXP2020 auto activation feature (as I continue to use and like Suitcase Fusion as a font manager)?

Thanks so very much to anyone able to offer some assistance and/or clarification.

Kindest regards,
Jeff Anderson
Attachments
System-Library-Fonts.png
(646.3 KiB) Not downloaded yet
QXP Project Font List.png
QXP Project Font List.png (1.04 MiB) Viewed 781 times
Suitcase Fusion Fonts.png
(398.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: Massive Font List

Post by Sirish Nair (Quark) » 12 Mar 2021, 12:25

Hi grafiksol,

The fonts which you mentioned and for which have attached the screenshots are system fonts from Apple. These are fonts for different scripts/ languages. These fonts are available under '/System/Library/AssetsV2/com_apple_MobileAsset_Font6' on Mac. There are 103 such Apple fonts installed on Mac OS Catalina and 139 fonts installed on Mac OS Big Sur.
You can feel rest assured, that these fonts are not installed with any QuarkXPress installation.
Sirish Nair
Principal Engineer QA, Quality Assurance
QUARKXPRESS PUBLISHING R&D (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
A-45, Industrial Area, Phase 8-B, Mohali, Punjab, India Pin: 160059
sinair@quark.com | http://www.quark.com

grafiksol

Post by grafiksol » 12 Mar 2021, 13:49

Sirish...
Thank you very much for your reply. Are you aware or have knowledge of the possibility to simply remove (delete) those "assets" and macOS Catalina continuing to run normally?
Jeff Anderson

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Sirish Nair (Quark) » 12 Mar 2021, 13:57

grafiksol,

For more understanding on Mac fonts, you can refer to this link:
http://www.jklstudios.com/misc/osxfonts.html
Sirish Nair

grafiksol

Post by grafiksol » 13 Mar 2021, 11:59

I continue to work on learning more about this issue, and a possible resolution. It is obviously quite cumbersome to have a QXP font menu containing 240 totally useless fonts. A case with Apple Software Engineering has been opened, and I hope to hear back from them next week. I attempted to advise Quark about the issue by opening a case (details below) but because I do not have a current "Advantage Plan" they told me to piss off and immediately closed the case. Now that's what I call awesome customer support!

================================================================================
While QXP2020 is deemed "ready for Catalina" it seems there is an issue relating to the font selection menu. For "unknown" reasons, MacOS Catalina has 240 "hidden" fonts in the following locations:
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FontServices.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Fonts/Subsets (103 fonts)
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FontServices.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Fonts/ApplicationSupport (59 fonts)
/System/Library/AssetsV2/com_apple_MobileAsset_Font6 (78 fonts)
Apple's applications (Pages, Numbers, Text Edit, etc) seem to have the necessary code present such that font menus ignore those fonts. However QuarkXPress 2020 obviously does not have the necessary coding to ignore those fonts, so they all appear in the font selection menu. There appears to be currently no way to permanently disable those 240 fonts, but I am working with Apple Software Engineering to learn more about the situation. In the meantime, perhaps Quark software engineers should also investigate the issue.
Screenshots are attached of a partial QXP2020 font menu (obviously the list is very long) vs an Apple Pages font menu. And Suitcase screenshots are attached showing the active "client" fonts and the active (normal) "System" fonts
MacOS Version: macOS 10.15.7 (19H524)
Only the minimum required fonts are located in: /System/Library/Fonts
No fonts are located in: ~/Library/Fonts
Suitcase Fusion Activated Fonts: 15 Families (76 Fonts total)
================================================================================

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Sirish Nair (Quark) » 13 Mar 2021, 14:01

As I mentioned in previous reply, the large list of fonts which you had mentioned about that appearing in the font menus in QuarkXPress are Apple fonts. Apple has over a period of time moved the language specific and even Roman fonts into different folders other than the traditional font folders: Root Library > Fonts folder, System > Fonts folder, User Library fonts folder.

Many these fonts are available at time of the OS installation itself, while many of them are in downloadable state and can be downloaded via Font Book. It is not advisable to filter out these fonts and many users might be using these fonts in their documents and publications.

In case, you do not wish to use these fonts, you can use a font management utility like Font Book and disable these fonts. Have you just tried disabling them through Font Book. These fonts can be easily disabled though font book.

Kindly note, none of the applications: Adobe InDesign, Affinity Publisher, Text Edit > Show Fonts, Pages filter out these fonts.
Sirish Nair

firelight

Post by firelight » 02 Apr 2021, 13:03

Windows has "bloat fonts" too. Windows bloat fonts cannot uninstalled. You can hide them in the Windows Fonts folder but they still show in Quark. Can this be fixed so Quark ignores these hidden fonts?

grafiksol

Post by grafiksol » 07 Apr 2021, 12:46

It would certainly be good if QuarkXPress did filter out these fonts (and as claimed to be such a "Professional" page composition application SHOULD).
I have discovered that with (some) installations of macOS Catalina these fonts are not active, but with other installations they for some reason are.
I also have discovered that you can either "disable" or "remove" them using Apple's Font Book.
A "right click" on any of them produces options as shown in the attached screenshot.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 12.42.38 PM.png
(835.4 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “QuarkXPress 2020: General”