Query about Output Style

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2020.

For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/
iain robinson

Query about Output Style

Post by iain robinson » 16 Mar 2021, 02:59

Hi

I have noticed that in QXP2016 (and the trial version of QXP2020) that if I export an Output Style for customers to use, the path to the ICC profile used by this preset (ResourceUsage="FinalTargetDevice") is spelled out in full in the XML file and is platform specific (ie different for Windows and Mac). This seems problematic - we make this preset (and the ICC profile) available to customers on our website and don't want to have to have separate versions for the two systems. I don't have the same version on both Windows and Mac so I can't fully test it here but a customer using QXP2018 (Windows) has complained that they can't import our output style .xml file which was made QXP2016 (Mac).

We've been doing this for years and I'm not aware of any problems so it makes me wonder if this is a change in recent versions (>2016?). Why is the full path listed in the XML file at all? Is the idea of exporting and importing settings not all about allowing users outside your organisation have your settings?

Anyone have any info on this?

Thanks,
Iain

MikeWenzloff

Re: Query about Output Style

Post by MikeWenzloff » 16 Mar 2021, 10:31

As far as I recall, a path has been always present. Downloads of output styles I have done have almost always included both Mac/Windows versions. Over the years, a couple times I needed a preset that has been made on a Mac--I use a Windows computer--and never needed to deal with a path.

On Windows, I either need to (typically on older Mac output styles) add the .xml extension or change the file list to All Files (*.*) when importing them.

I just dug up from my archive an output style from about 2006 made on a Mac, no file extension, changed my Import dialog to All Files as mentioned above, and it came into QuarkXPress 2020 just fine.

I can test one of yours in versions 9-2020 on Windows if you would like.

Mike

iain robinson

Post by iain robinson » 16 Mar 2021, 13:10

Hi Mike

Maybe I have just been lucky and people have always downloaded the version I provided on whatever platform it was made on, which would depend on whatever platform we had purchased the latest version. We now use it exclusively on the Mac and the problem was being experienced on Windows.

I can't see the benefit of having a platform-specific full path to the profile hard-coded into the file - the profile is either available to the system or it isn't. Anyway, thank you - I will make separate Mac and Windows versions of my presets. I'll test them out as best I can but if I have trouble I may take you up on your kind offer to test them out.

Thanks and best wishes,
Iain

iain robinson

Post by iain robinson » 15 Apr 2021, 04:34

Hi again Mike

I have created a couple of Windows-specific presets on Quark 2020 (trial version) and they seem okay to me (installed them under a separate user account in Q2020 and they certainly installed as expected). However the customer who had the problem with my original presets was still having problems with one of the two files, however they are having other issues with Windows/Quark so unsure whether that is a reliable indicator or not.

You kindly offered to test my presets previously - does that offer still stand and if so how would I best get them to you? Via private message?

thanks,
Iain

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 15 Apr 2021, 08:15

Hello Ian,

Absolutely.

If you can private message me with a link to a dropbox zip filr, that would be great. If that doesn't work I'll provide an email address in a reply (and remove it once I receive your email).

I turned on notifications for this thread, so I should be able to respond quickly.

Take care, Mike

iain robinson

Post by iain robinson » 16 Apr 2021, 06:16

Thanks Mike - I have PM'd you

iain robinson

Post by iain robinson » 19 Apr 2021, 04:48

Just to update the group - Mike very kindly tested my presets and they were okay. Thank you Mike!

Iain

Return to “QuarkXPress 2020: General”