Top Ten List of Customer/Ad Rep Annoyances

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 21 Oct 2005, 18:22

I had yet another ad yesterday where the ad rep was no help and I decided to post my ten most irritating points about customers and ad reps here. Feel free to add to the list....

1. All the customer sent was a flattened .jpg., but the ad rep wants you to move the art and copy in the ad. You can't get the native files because the company fired the ad agency and the .jpg is all they ever had.

2. The customer sent a PDF that was RBG color. Black text is breaking across all four plates and it's a full page car ad.

3. The customer sent a B&W PDF and the ad is a full color car ad. The PDF is the wrong size and the ad rep want you to add color. BTW, it was a proof from a different newspaper so they can't get you the original files.

4. Even worse, points two and three are flattened files.

5. The customer has no art, no copy, and no logo. Make us something great!

6. The customer's logo is 1"x1" at 72dpi, looks bad to begin with and they want it prominently displayed in a large ad size.

7. The customer works in a related industry and sells those servics by advertising in your newspaper, but is incapable of sending a non-blurry, color balanced PDF.

8. "You have to rebuild this ad based on the PDF they sent you!" Why do I have to when I can edit the PDF to get what I need?

9. "Oh, I'm sorry, I guess the customer DOES have the native files! Can they send a PDF?" After the third time of asking. Why would I take a PDF if they can send me the native files?

10. You have to do this ad exactly the way I told you to do it (the way I THINK the customer wants it). Why don't you hire a compositor then!

So, tell me what your frustrations are....

jonesy17

Post by jonesy17 » 22 Oct 2005, 07:42

I can equal and in some cases top most of those... but I don't want to get fired!

Thanks for letting me know these issues are experienced elsewhere as well. Cheers for cheering me up. :wink:

Robert

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 22 Oct 2005, 12:48

Glad to see I am not alone either. I might just say my post covers issues that my boss already knows about in relation to a particular ad rep and some customers. In short, I'm not revealing anything he doesn't already know, nor am I complaining just venting.

I might also add that because of these problems I have gathered way more experience in the innards of PDF files and and production workarounds over what I had when I first started in the business. Secondly, my last two jobs have also given me a wealth of experience with the printing process in regards to color seperation. My first job was at a major and we didn't have to worry about RBG images and trapping because the very expensive RIP and two story press took care of it all.

I had another frustation to add to the list, but right now it escapes me. Guess I'll have to post it later....

BlackFlute

Post by BlackFlute » 24 Oct 2005, 11:08

Often, these folks don't have the original files because they shafted their designer/ad agency! I'm often asked to 'just scan in' hard copy (and change text ect.).

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 24 Oct 2005, 12:10

BlackFlute, I hear you. I've had that request and more. Often they want you to scan the logo off an ad in the phone book.

Oh, and just this morning: "make the picturer clearer." The picture in question has a motion blur because people in it are moving, which therefore is an intentional effect! You have to wonder about ad reps sometimes.....

seetomtype

Post by seetomtype » 24 Oct 2005, 14:19

One of my favorites is the picture that needs to bleed, but the client
dosen't want to lose any of the photo's content. :roll:

NESprepress

Post by NESprepress » 25 Oct 2005, 09:57

My favorite is:

Q. Can't you just scan it and use it???

A. Sure... copy is weak/washed out, looks like it came off a dot matrix printer, has a coffee ring through logo, is on an cream/ivory stock, should have been on press last week (but sat on sales rep desk for 10 days) and we have to deliver it by lunchtime (it's now 11:15am) to a bigwig at that company for a major presentation.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 25 Oct 2005, 11:11

I should be so lucky that the ad reps would even touch a scanner! One partciular manager we have simply refuses to use email, so we have to print out all her stuff three times a day AND email proofs out. Never mind she's perfectly capabale of USING a computer and deleting importand stuff- she doesn't DO computers! And of course if the customer doesn't see that proof in their in box, it's our fault, despite the fact that the sent email didn't bounce back.

jonesy17

Post by jonesy17 » 25 Oct 2005, 11:18

[strong]eyoungren:[/strong]And of course if the customer doesn't see that proof in their in box, it's our fault, despite the fact that the sent email didn't bounce back.

That's one of the reasons we don't do email... out, or in. :wink:

Robert

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 25 Oct 2005, 14:26

I should be so lucky! :D

Return to “Sofa Threads”