Top Ten List of Customer/Ad Rep Annoyances

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
Emma

Post by Emma » 30 Apr 2008, 03:56

I wonder if this will tip over and create a new page 5???

So, my rant is slightly different, but still about customers.

We produce a twice yearly, 400+ page product guide. All the prices are linked to the product code via XCatalog so that the prices can be updated at the last minute. All we ask from the customer is for an Excel file with 3 columns - product code, price, price for quantity discount.

Sounds simple? Aaaagh. They send these enormous files, full of redundant columns, hidden stuff. Loads of irrelevant (to me) calculations that take hours to open (well, minutes...) Headings like: 'Average Realised Selling Price for Cat Qty'. Some prices they just type in 'leave as last year' or 'no change'.

When I finally strip out what I need from all this junk, I find half the products aren't there, there are a load for products which have been discontinued....

And... this file has been promised for weeks.

Another customer seems to be quite incapable of supplying prices in any coherent way, and asked that we key them all in and supply them back to them!

Sorry, that's probably not a relevant rant to most of you... But I feel better for it.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 30 Apr 2008, 10:16

[strong]Emma:[/strong]Sorry, that's probably not a relevant rant to most of you... But I feel better for it.

Good for you. That was the whole point of my original first posting. I was ticked at the time and I was wondering who else out there had to deal with idiot customers/ad reps/ad managers, etcetra.

For some reason there is (it seems to me) this assumption by outsiders that our industry (books/newspapers/catalogues/et all) is real slick. We all come in to the office (with mood lighting) with our cappucino's and sit down in front of gleaming Macs/PCs on gleaming desks, push a button and presto the catalogue/ad/brochure, what have you is instantly done, proofed and on the press. Then we break for lunch and go off to see our highly-paid clients whom we speak to in the voice of God.

In reality, all you have to do to find out about our reality is read these forums!

thing

Post by thing » 30 Apr 2008, 11:17

Hey well done Erik! Welcome to page 5! :lol: 8)

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 30 Apr 2008, 11:22

Me?!

That was my trained monkey! I was over here drinking my Starbucks cappucino and pressing buttons!

Glenn McDowall

Post by Glenn McDowall » 30 Apr 2008, 11:34

[quote:ae3bf9a6ae]Whilst not created by customers I've discovered something that's really bugging me now - the lack of time account handlers allow for proofing! They seem to think a PDF sent by the printer is an acceptable proof ... it's not! Yesterday I received a low res PDF as a so-called proof - in fact it was a low res version of the high res PDF I'd sent to the printer! They hadn't even renamed it.

Whilst I'm with you on proper hard copy proofs, there usually isn't the money or the time these days

thing

Post by thing » 30 Apr 2008, 11:45

I agree with your last statement wholeheartedly - and it's sad. Jobs I see going through here are frequently substandard because no one will pay for proper physical proofs. Yet they will then, begrudgingly sure, pay for reprints! Crazy isn't it.

And I agree (plus didn't mean to insult printers in general, it's not their fault) that the whole PDF proof thing is customer not printer lead. But surely to take a supplied high res 4c PDF that's perfect then resaving it as a low res version without even removing the HR at the end of the file name and sending it back to me as a proof is a bit wild!

Frankly I can't see the point in PDF proofing besides a chance to make sure the copy and general layout is correct. Can't proof colour. But then I (or we, Glenn) seem to be shouting to deaf ears. Hey ho.

Greg

PS If I have to have a spot I don't want to print I do call it 'don't print' or 'notes' or similar but then I also supply a text file explaining what it's for. I like to make sure there is no uncertainty and true to make life as easy as possible for the printers I work with. And being confident in my ability I also make sure they have a direct line contact straight to me so if there is a problem if can get dealt with swiftly.

shaun

Post by shaun » 30 Apr 2008, 12:44

I haven't had any of those major problems - more like little niggly ones:

Scruffy bit of paper with small pencil logo drawn by customer's daughter at school...

"Yes, madam, I can put that logo on the letterhead, but if I blow it up to the size you would like it may well lose quality in the process."

And a picture of a church that's to go on a draw ticket -
camera pointing up, all verticals leaning in, and 72dpi ...

S

carla_k

Post by carla_k » 30 Apr 2008, 13:43

[img]../../themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif"> [strong]shaun:[/strong]I haven't had any of those major problems - more like little niggly ones:

i have customers who output a pdf i've sent them on their $40 printer, hold it up to their pc monitor --- with their web site on the screen --- and complain that the colors in the pdf don't match what's on screen. "can't you match it to my web site? just go to www. ...[/img]
they don't understand that i'm not seeing the web site colors exactly as they are... and they don't understand that my eyes see everything thru pms485: frustrated-designer red.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 08 Jul 2008, 04:46

OK. New one for you guys. Come in yesterday, my coworker cannot print to our color ink jet. This printer is currently attached to a PC in the Ad Manager's office (that's right, the boss forced her to email and use a PC AND put it in her office about a year ago).
So. we restart her PC. We restart my coworkers G4. Nothing. Just as I am about to go and take a look at the problem PC/printer the Ad Manager tells me SHE can't print. Can I please look at her PC, BECAUSE SHE MOVED IT! Which means she disconnected all the cables and had no idea where to plug them back in!

So. I take a look and guess what. She's crammed the printer's USB cable into the serial VGA montor port! It's connected to one of the rows of pins she managed to jam into the cable!
This is a new one on me.

rcantin

Post by rcantin » 28 Jul 2008, 05:00

That's a good one Erik. You want more?In my workflow, CIP3 files are routed to the presses for faster setup. Pressman can see on a monitor the proportion of ink for each color and all this kind of technical stuff.Yesterday a guy came to install a new device for the administration server. Nothing to do with the Prepress Server. Guess what? No more CIP3 visible on the network. I came to the server room to see what is happening and of course the guy claimed that he did nothing at all but the cable linked to the press was in this hand AND unplugged!

Return to “Sofa Threads”