Top Ten List of Customer/Ad Rep Annoyances

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 28 Jul 2008, 05:26

People sometimes! Red-handed and he didn't do anything. Right. Got it. [;)]

Glenn McDowall

Post by Glenn McDowall » 28 Jul 2008, 21:43

Very small revenge here for pre-press. Our CIP3 data (.ppf) is sent to our presses on a very old style flash card. We called these DIM (for Digital Ink-duct Management of course) cards and its stuck. Even Heidelberg engineers thought it funny once they figured out what the printers were actually talking about.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 30 Jul 2008, 04:07

Glenn. You guys actually made German engineers smile?! I'd say that's a bit more than a small revenge....[;)]

Jeff Jungblut

Post by Jeff Jungblut » 03 Aug 2008, 00:22

Thanks so much for this thread. I assume we're in similar positions where we work. I've had all those experiences. Some of mine...

* Ad reps who are overly specific about the images they want you to use for a mockup of an ad for a Very Important Client that the ad rep hasn't actually even met yet. Such as.. "I want one car, two SUVs and a truck in the center, two young attractive guys on the left smiling, with one looking at the camera, and two women in cowboy hats on the right walking a dog..." Um, no, here's the catalog of our available free stock photos. Tell me which ones you want and I'll put them in the ad.

* Ads supplied in Word or Powerpoint. Either typeset in Arial or Times New Roman, or fonts we don't have.

* "Scan his logo off his business card..." ...yes, the logo he circled several times in black ink and put a staple through to attach it to the ad submission sheet.

* "Resize their full page ad (10.5" x 13") to a quarter page (4.5" x 5.875") and add these four paragraphs of text, but keep the text large so it's readable..."

* "He built his ad in Publisher, can we open that?" Same answer as the last 34 times you were told... NO!

* "They want a full page glossy ad. Here's eight words of text and a phone number. No they don't have any images or a logo."

* "Here's a JPEG with a lot of text on top of a detailed photo. Replace all the text. No she can't get the original photo." Oh, but wait, she'll have more text changes the next day, and then more the next day... and when that's all done, she'll send you a similar ad (but different, and the wrong size, of course) from another paper and demand you to use THAT ad instead, but again replace all the text (on another flattened JPEG, natch)... on the day the ad goes to press.

* Ad reps who lead you to believe you're designing an ad based on what the client requested, when it's really the ad rep's lame idea, which is invariably rejected by the client, so I end up building the ad twice, the first time just to waste time and money.

* Ad reps who submit ad work well after the production deadline has passed and backdate their paperwork to before the deadline, like we're stupid and won't notice they're sneaking in ad work on the day the paper goes to press.

* "Here's her photo for her ad. She wants to look 10 years younger, can you do that?" No problem... Filters > Enhance > Botox.

shaun

Post by shaun » 04 Aug 2008, 04:22

Jeff Jungblut wrote:
* "Here's her photo for her ad. She wants to look 10 years younger, can you do that?" No problem... Filters > Enhance > Botox.

Or maybe Filter > Adjust > Buttocks ...

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 04 Aug 2008, 05:57

Yet again I see that I am not alone in my frustrations!
Just this morning the Ad Manager had to involve herself in the print production process. We provide color proofs to our pressmen so they can adjust color on the press. I corrected a small typo and reprinted our black plate. I didn't see a reason as to why I had to reprint the color proof as copy is not what the pressmen are looking at. Because she doesn't see the typo fixed on the color proof our Ad Manager is asking questions! I'd be so-so with that if she knew anything about what she was talking about. Or if she retained at least a quarter of all the things I've repeated to here AD INFINITUM for the LAST FOUR YEARS!

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 23 Dec 2008, 05:02

Anyone know an easy way to tell people who have no business using Photoshop for ads how to create a PDF with embedded fonts? Yet again I get another clueless customer who's only response to "your ad is a flattened image with fuzzy type, send me a PDF with embedded fonts" is empty silence!
I use PS7, which actually has an "Include, or embed fonts" option in the PDF save dialogue boxes. CS1,2, and 3 seem to omit that step and it's hard to communicate what you need when the customer can't find an embed fonts option. Why does Adobe have to make things so complicated sometimes?

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 23 May 2009, 12:25

My last post reminded me of another pet peeve of mine. I might have mentioned it earlier, but if I did, here it is again. Clients who work in similar industries but have no idea what they are doing.
One customer this week provides us with an RGB flattened Photoshop PDF for a black and white ad. It's got a lot of copy in it, but of course being flattened it's now been rasterized. Thankfully I didn't have to edit anything, but the pet peeve comes in when I discover that this ad is for someone in a similar field as what I do. One it's bad. Two there is an excessive amount of copy talking about the minutiae of what you do and third, obviously you have no clue about how to save out a PDF from PS with embedded fonts. And you did the ad in RGB color?!

Glenn McDowall

Post by Glenn McDowall » 26 May 2009, 01:30

eyoungren wrote:
Anyone know an easy way to tell people who have no business using Photoshop for ads how to create a PDF with embedded fonts? Yet again I get another clueless customer who's only response to "your ad is a flattened image with fuzzy type, send me a PDF with embedded fonts" is empty silence!
I use PS7, which actually has an "Include, or embed fonts" option in the PDF save dialogue boxes. CS1,2, and 3 seem to omit that step and it's hard to communicate what you need when the customer can't find an embed fonts option. Why does Adobe have to make things so complicated sometimes?

As I understand it CS1, 2, 3, 4 don't have the option because (like InDesign) they have to include the fonts. I'm guessing also that they see other Distiller Settings Files which may have 'Embed All Fonts / false' in the text (e.g. Smallest file size), get them to select Press Settings or use a PDF-X standard. Also be aware that Pitstop didn't report or couldn't edit or something (sorry for vagueness, I only recall this being a yippee moment fix[:D]) exactPhotoshop embedded fonts properly until version7.
Its a pet hate of mine that PDF Settings files are re-written by the Application that Saves them last, so you set Distiller to fail on a missing font then InDesign rewrites it to warn. I've taken to naming them carefully and locking them with the Finder.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 09 Jun 2009, 19:49

Hey Glenn. Finally had a chance to really look at this. My problem with PDF settings is not that these programs offer these settings, but most of the customers I deal with have no clue what they mean or how to use them. I've encountered plenty of designers who should know better, but sadly don't. And don't even think about trying to explain PDF-1Xa. What started all this was dealing with the POed owner of a local design firm who was furious that I had issues with his PDF. After I finally got him to get the actual designer on the phone she located a copy of Photoshop 7 and saved me out a proper PDF. My pet hate with Adobe's PDF setting is that the defaults specify color management. Since we aren't using that, I end up getting a bad PDF from a good setup.
I actually took screen shots of PShop CS3 (trial version) just to show what I needed. The problem is disseminating that information in easily understandable terms to the type of customer that I deal with. This customer is the kind of person that will tell you "I did my ad in Adobe!"
Uh, yeah, which ONE?! Adobe is a company, not an application!

Return to “Sofa Threads”