Top Ten List of Customer/Ad Rep Annoyances

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
Emma

Post by Emma » 09 Jun 2009, 21:37

eyoungren wrote:
After I finally got him to get the actual designer on the phone

I hate how hard it is to actually talk to the 'real workers'. Getting fobbed off by reps/client services personnel saying 'Oh no we can't do that'. Finally you get to someone on a Mac who says 'Oh yes, no problem'. (This is more related to getting people to supply coherent, consistent data than pdf's but I think it's a general thing)

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 10 Jun 2009, 04:19

I agree Emma. But a lot of the time when I actually get to that person I find that even then they don't know what I'm talking about. The designer I spoke with was completely unaware that PS7 had the embed fonts option for PDFs. At the time I was unaware as to what setting to tell her to use in PS CS3. I understand that as designers/users we all cannot be expected to know every minute detail about the applications we use. But I can at least expect people who should know better to know (or at minimum be aware of) the basics.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 11 Jan 2010, 04:37

[strong]HERE WE GO AGAIN![/strong]
Customer can't open a JPG! Can we please send Adobe file! WTF! Which program? Adobe makes like 20+ different programs all with their own formats! If you want a PDF, WHY DON'T YOU SAY SO!?
Good God! And this kind of customer of course will know EVERYTHING there is to know about graphic programs I'm sure!

Glenn McDowall

Post by Glenn McDowall » 11 Jan 2010, 04:54

Dear Customer, I sent Adobe the file and they confirmed that they could open it. Kind Regards Erik :)

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 11 Jan 2010, 04:58

Good one Glenn! I needed that!

XPressUser

Post by XPressUser » 21 Feb 2010, 05:57

Working in a graphic service bureau one night back in the 90s...customer comes in and hands me a disk...doesn't fill out our simple form..just hands me the disk. So I ask him a few questions about what he actually wants...he doesn't have very good answers...best part is when I ask him if he included the fonts for the job...and what font(s) he may have used. His answer:Ummm...Quark font.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 21 Feb 2010, 06:19

Uhm, cause the fonts were there in Quark right? Sheesh!

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 08 Jul 2010, 14:32

I got [strong]this[/strong] link a while back from a friend. It's updated frequently and really good if you feel alone in what you do.

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 08 Nov 2010, 06:26

OMG! I'm hearing that song... you know, "I'm not alone"!

Thank you Erik for sending the link to this post. I'm a new-comer on this forum, I have to read a lot (it serves me right!)
Well, one day, one of my company's CEO came to my office to bring some CDs. He doesn't like computers, almost hate them. On my desk, there are two workstations, a Mac and a PC. He seated on my chair and, looking to the two monitors starts to scream: I didn't do it, really I didn't! You didn't what?, I asked. One of these is damaged, look, the screens are different! OK pal, you're right!!!
Another day, anothes boss. Seating in my chair. I'm trying to view some separations in RIP, on other workstation. Hei, open, please, "Printer and faxes" on my PC, is this printerthe the default one? How?, he asks. I try to explain: put the mouse on Start, then... Suddenly, he takes the mouse from the desk and put it on the monitor's screen... Hei, stop it! Put it down! OMG!
Another day, one pal from selling department: I need you to make me a beautiful A2 poster for this travel agency! OK, do you have a sketch or a draw, something? Yes, look here... And I have also a beautiful picture for the poster! Where is it? Here, in my phone! (just a low-quality jpg, 640x480px!!!, for one A2!!!)
Another day. The client: this catalogue hase a lot of tables, a lot of pictures, 320 pages A4 size..., but I have not any typed text. OK, I said. Let's go! After four days of hard work, I've got it finished. My client: well, seems to be OK, but I was wrong four days ago: the final size must be A5, not A4... (well, it's easy to resize a pdf, but @!&^#*($#@!!!)
And so on, and so on....

lewaw

Post by lewaw » 08 Nov 2010, 07:46

Interesting topic,
I can see that in USA, and in Europe it is simmilar.
In my country customers can...
- Did books in photoshop (I don't know how? but can.)
- Did all books in Word, and are surre that everything is ok and file is "ready" for offset print.
- Did files "ready" for printing in Power Point.
72dpi, RGB, big compresion it is standard.
Can't prepare clear text for dtp operation always there are errors.
Can't see difference between vector and raster, graphic.
Can't see difference between trapping, and bleed. even print-houses.

Use photoshop as dtp program, it is new trend.[:D]
But ON THE OTHER HAND customer is not expert.
I'm not a dentist therefore I don't know how do filling.[:D]
Regards

Return to “Sofa Threads”