Top Ten List of Customer/Ad Rep Annoyances

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
Emma

Post by Emma » 17 Nov 2010, 19:12

For a lovely saga on this topic, I strongly recommend going to http://www.27bslash6.com/bob.html
Very funny, very true.

PS Work safe!

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 18 Nov 2010, 13:07

That's funny Emma! I'm going to have to remember my jumping frog fee! [:O]

rcantin

Post by rcantin » 19 Nov 2010, 00:46

Thank you Emma,I did spent the day on this site (27b6) and found it very funny indeed. Please design a logo for me. With pie charts. For free. makes me laugh to the tears.One of my favorites now.

eyoungren

Re: Top Ten List of Customer/Ad Rep Annoyances

Post by eyoungren » 19 Nov 2014, 16:44

For a completely shameless resurrection of this thread I'm going to post a recent one from a friend, who's long since moved to InDesign (former member here) but who I am Facebook friends with (more than one member I met here and became FB friends with).

Anyway, customer says her proof was great. But please rotate one of the images 360º!

Apparently the customer was stressed. :D

Another designer I know was told that his business cards were great, but the client wasn't so keen on the overuse of white background. :o

Anyone else want to contribute to this nine year old thread? :D
Last edited by eyoungren on 19 Nov 2014, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.

omegaman

Post by omegaman » 19 Nov 2014, 19:21

eyoungren

This thread brought back memories.

Invariably and unfortunately the client never completely makes up their mind until the jobs printed.

I've seen stickers printed and used as patches for a single line of text to avoid a reprint. Lot of work slicing up twenty five lines of text per sticker with a scalpel. Not to mention sticking them down in place on a couple of thousand brochures!
27 inch iMac / Intel Core i5 / 2.66 GHz / 16 GB Memory / System: Yosemite 10.10.5 – PRINCIPAL DESIGN SOFTWARE: QuarkXpress 9 and 2015 / Affinity Designer / Affinity Photo / Acorn / Pinegrow Web Designer
http://www.e-assistance.com.au

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 19 Nov 2014, 21:02

I was never part of this thread, but it's been a hoot reading a good.bit of it. The customer I remember that gave me the most frustration never did communicate what he wanted for a small series of themed brochures. It went something like...

Him: I like what you did. Could you make a small change here?
Me: Sure thing. What is it that you don't like about it?
Him: I don't know for certain, but I'll have a better idea if you just make a change.
Me, the next day: OK, how's this?
Him: Hmm. Still not right. Would you change these two things?
Me: Sure, we agreed on three revisions in the contract, so please take both these back to the office and live with them a few days. Mark them up and fax the changes to me.
Him: Three revisions? Well, let's go back to the first version and I'll look at them better. I'm sure we can finalize the designs by the third revision that way.
Me: If you would like to go back to the first designs and revise from there, that would be fine. Please understand this would be the third revision as per the contract.
Him: Even if we start again from the first set?

Y'all can figure out the rest. Needless to say that the next time he called for some work I recommended another shop.

I was once told something by a good friend as regards being a contractor. "Some days it's cheaper to just go fishing."

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 19 Nov 2014, 22:56

omegaman wrote:eyoungren

This thread brought back memories.

Invariably and unfortunately the client never completely makes up their mind until the jobs printed.

I've seen stickers printed and used as patches for a single line of text to avoid a reprint. Lot of work slicing up twenty five lines of text per sticker with a scalpel. Not to mention sticking them down in place on a couple of thousand brochures!
Oh, ouch!!! That must have been tedious!

I saw a job once, four color brochure, big box full sitting in one of our offices at an old job of mine. EVERY line on the brochure had defaulted to Courier! Yet, it got shipped out!

If I shared that in this thread before, I apologize…it's been a few years! ;)

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 19 Nov 2014, 23:04

MikeWenzloff wrote:I was never part of this thread, but it's been a hoot reading a good.bit of it. The customer I remember that gave me the most frustration never did communicate what he wanted for a small series of themed brochures. It went something like...

Him: I like what you did. Could you make a small change here?
Me: Sure thing. What is it that you don't like about it?
Him: I don't know for certain, but I'll have a better idea if you just make a change.
Me, the next day: OK, how's this?
Him: Hmm. Still not right. Would you change these two things?
Me: Sure, we agreed on three revisions in the contract, so please take both these back to the office and live with them a few days. Mark them up and fax the changes to me.
Him: Three revisions? Well, let's go back to the first version and I'll look at them better. I'm sure we can finalize the designs by the third revision that way.
Me: If you would like to go back to the first designs and revise from there, that would be fine. Please understand this would be the third revision as per the contract.
Him: Even if we start again from the first set?

Y'all can figure out the rest. Needless to say that the next time he called for some work I recommended another shop.

I was once told something by a good friend as regards being a contractor. "Some days it's cheaper to just go fishing."
That's hilarious! Some people just don't get it – or they do, but they think anybody can do our jobs so they don't have problems with doing stuff like this.

Which reminds me!

One customer a few weeks ago asks if he can send his ad on Tuesday morning! No sir, the newspaper goes to the print at 5pm Monday evening (we're a weekly). Guy delivers an ad at 3:30pm Monday!

Two weeks later my boss has booked space for him. He runs a full page, full color ad. He tells my boss at 3pm that he's going on PASS on running an ad this week!!! WTF! Now we have an entire page to fill two hours before deadline!

Not a big deal, but it's the attitude that was just jaw dropping. He did it AGAIN this week, but my boss anticipated him and had a backup plan.

No idea if he's going to be running next week or not. :cry:

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 20 Nov 2014, 00:20

Oh, here's another one…

In this day and age everyone's a designer. :roll: :twisted:

Apparently a lot of customers think that anything they find on Google is A-OK to use in their print ad! Right. So, rip off that copyrighted image you just snagged on Google images and wait for your lawsuit to roll in because you didn't pay for the image! Good one!

Even city governments get into the act. A few years ago the City of Glendale wanted to run a map of an area of the city. Hey Google Maps right? So the editor calls the city and finds out they have no freaking clue about any letter from Google allowing them to reprint maps. They weren't even aware that Google Maps is copyright.

Some people…

Jean-Marie Schwartz

Post by Jean-Marie Schwartz » 20 Nov 2014, 04:40

:D
The fun is that people I'm asking for authorization are sometimes surprised! Kind of "Oh it's the first time one asks me for authorization!" Well it's so obvious to me. :)
Jean-Marie Schwartz

= Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel 2.8 GHz • 10 Go 1066 MHz DDR3 • Mac OS 10.10.5 • QuarkXPress 9.5.4.1 + QuarkXPress 2017 • Adobe CS5 =

Return to “Sofa Threads”