Job Scheduling Software

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
ronwel

Job Scheduling Software

Post by ronwel » 24 Feb 2009, 05:09

Hi there,
Does anyone have any reccomendations for a really good job scheduling program? (Preferably something that can be web-based...but that is not a major concern.)
Thanks!

marcusstringer

Job Scheduling Software

Post by marcusstringer » 24 Feb 2009, 09:12

It depends on how much you are willing to spend.What you want it to do etc etc

ronwel

Job Scheduling Software

Post by ronwel » 24 Feb 2009, 09:34

We are looking for a basic job scheduler. Something that we can use to allocate time on one specific press, and keep track of what is going on. Ideally we would like it to be web based, so that our customers or other people in the company can log in and see where their jobs can run. It would have to be fairly inexpensive ( under $1000.00) for management to approve it easily.

marcusstringer

Job Scheduling Software

Post by marcusstringer » 24 Feb 2009, 09:52

I guess you could try here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pr ... oftwareThe ones I had in mind were way out of you ball park, as these programs are expensive.I would really think twice about allowing client to:1. have access to anything, this will give you no comeback to "why isn't my job printing now, when you said it would?" "why haven't you prioritised MY jobs, aren't I your most important client"2. the ability to see your other clients/their competitors.

ronwel

Job Scheduling Software

Post by ronwel » 25 Feb 2009, 01:27

Thanks...
You make some pretty good points. I had thought about that, but management thinks that it is a great "selling feature" to show customers when their job is on the press. However, I'll bring up what you said and perhaps they will see how dangerous letting the cusomter see what is going on and when.
We are basically looking for a glorified spreadsheet that we can update as the day and week goes on. Nothing fancy. I've managed to find software that looks after EVERYTHING, but nothing simple and direct. I'll check out wikipdia and see what it has to say.

charlieartist

Job Scheduling Software

Post by charlieartist » 26 Feb 2009, 05:33

Depending upon your needs and skills, it may be possible to set something up in FileMaker (they also have Web options). The third-party apps can be quite expensive--I know of firms that bemoan this after purchase. If you have a good programmer, it may be possible to do something quick-and-dirty via PHP/MySQL. At least this is free--from the software end. Programming could be a different matter...

Return to “Sofa Threads”