Quark Marketing: File this under "we still dont get it"

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
ttlcntrlprint

Post by ttlcntrlprint » 27 Jun 2013, 13:11

Hi Gavin, sorry, but although I was anticipating QXP 10, you can now keep it.i've been loyal to Quark for a bloody long time and patiently waiting for my initial UK 3600 to be worthwhile (three seats). I will not be throwing GOOD money after BAD and neither will my company LondonPrinting.com.Adobe's improved DPS for CC, at least we know what we're going to be paying for - Id, Ic, Ps, Ai, Dw, Muse, Acrobat 11 & Distiller.Regards. Christian

stump

Post by stump » 01 Jul 2013, 17:59

And *POOF* its gone.*sigh*. Sorry, you guys still just dont get it.CC is announced 2 months ago, first available for download 2 weeks ago and thats all the time any older Quark user had to evaluate/decide to either be forced into the monthly Adobe fee or upgrade their older Quark.WHO CARES if this offer has been running on an off for 4 years -- theres been very little "older users" upgrading because (sadly) for Quark users theres been no compelling *reason* to update. Everyone is/was/had moved to ID. So updating Quark wasnt a priority. And then Adobe helped you with that by offering the silly CC option. We are now literally "stuck" with the monthly CC fee for the rest of our lives. Oh, but I only have 2 weeks to decide. Ugh.So those of us still using 8 like me (or even 6.5 which I have 2 more licensces for) now have a compelling reason to *maybe* come back to Quark. What about older users, that stopped with Quark 3 and switched to ID -- now using ID 3 or 4 or 5? Wheres the incentive for them to dump the CC option and move to Quark 9? Oh yeah, there isnt one. Ive got 3 workstations with copies of Adobe CS 3 and I want to switch to Quark 9. Whats my cost? $2700. Thats the same cost as 2 YEARS of CC @ $90 a month.Heres what those Adobe users are saying "Hey Im not gonna pay Adobe for the rest of forever, let me see what Quark is offering..." And whats Quarks offer to those users? Nothing. Your "data" is outdated. Theres *never* been a time in Quarks history like there is now. You need to throw that data out and start catering to what new users need/want. Your 5% figure was before CC.No ID users are going to come here and talk about how they are "interested in the switch". Because thats a $850 decision. Im not sure what more there is to say,

omegaman

Post by omegaman » 01 Jul 2013, 18:34

Sorry, but its not Quark's fault that Adobe is implemented an unpleasant policy and people are now scrambling for alternatives.
I personally took advantage of the $349 QuarkXpress upgrade about 2 years agofrom 6.5 to 9 after seeing the writing on the wall. I'm now using QuarkXpress more and more

Ira

Post by Ira » 02 Jul 2013, 00:07

stump wrote:And *POOF* its gone.
*sigh*. Sorry, you guys still just dont get it.
CC is announced 2 months ago, first available for download 2 weeks ago and thats all the time any older Quark user had to evaluate/decide to either be forced into the monthly Adobe fee or upgrade their older Quark.
WHO CARES if this offer has been running on an off for 4 years -- theres been very little "older users" upgrading because (sadly) for Quark users theres been no compelling *reason* to update. Everyone is/was/had moved to ID. So updating Quark wasnt a priority.
And then Adobe helped you with that by offering the silly CC option. We are now literally "stuck" with the monthly CC fee for the rest of our lives.
Oh, but I only have 2 weeks to decide. Ugh.
So those of us still using 8 like me (or even 6.5 which I have 2 more licensces for) now have a compelling reason to *maybe* come back to Quark. What about older users, that stopped with Quark 3 and switched to ID -- now using ID 3 or 4 or 5? Wheres the incentive for them to dump the CC option and move to Quark 9? Oh yeah, there isnt one. Ive got 3 workstations with copies of Adobe CS 3 and I want to switch to Quark 9. Whats my cost? $2700. Thats the same cost as 2 YEARS of CC @ $90 a month.
Heres what those Adobe users are saying "Hey Im not gonna pay Adobe for the rest of forever, let me see what Quark is offering..." And whats Quarks offer to those users? Nothing.
Your "data" is outdated. Theres *never* been a time in Quarks history like there is now. You need to throw that data out and start catering to what new users need/want. Your 5% figure was before CC.
No ID users are going to come here and talk about how they are "interested in the switch". Because thats a $850 decision. Im not sure what more there is to say,

The subscription system is the only way to go.

remote

Post by remote » 02 Jul 2013, 00:31

>Sorry, but its not Quark's fault that Adobe is implemented an unpleasant policy and people are now scrambling for alternatives. I personally took advantage of the $349 QuarkXpress upgrade about 2 years agofrom 6.5 to 9 after seeing the writing on the wall. I'm now using QuarkXpress more and moreNo one implied it was Quarks fault "Adobe is implemented an unpleasant policy and people are now scrambling for alternatives".Instead the way Quark handles this opportunity is met with criticism. It is not so much the "what" - it seems to be "ok" to change the upgrade policy. It is the "how" that makes people regard Quarks move as hostile. 2-4 weeks of notice is not a friendly offer it is pointing a gun at your customers head and saying: feel free to choose :)It feels even more hostile when you consider that Quark is actually actually forcing people to buy a release they do not know anything about (anyone buying now, is buying Q10 basically). Quark could have easily allowed upgrades to Q10 until the end of 2013, that would have given people enough time to evaluate the new release. If Q10 was a great release, why the hurry to force people into buying "a pig in a poke"?Surely more people would upgrade if a sane transition window (e.g. end of 2013) for the new upgrade policy was introduced. To me, the likely explanation of why people are forced into the "upgrade to Q10 from any version" option before the release or even any substantial product information becomes available, is that Quark does not have much faith in their own work. Sad.

omegaman

Post by omegaman » 02 Jul 2013, 15:22

I think you
remote wrote:>Sorry, but its not Quark's fault that Adobe is implemented an unpleasant policy and people are now scrambling for alternatives. I personally took advantage of the $349 QuarkXpress upgrade about 2 years agofrom 6.5 to 9 after seeing the writing on the wall. I'm now using QuarkXpress more and moreNo one implied it was Quarks fault "Adobe is implemented an unpleasant policy and people are now scrambling for alternatives".Instead the way Quark handles this opportunity is met with criticism. It is not so much the "what" - it seems to be "ok" to change the upgrade policy. It is the "how" that makes people regard Quarks move as hostile. 2-4 weeks of notice is not a friendly offer it is pointing a gun at your customers head and saying: feel free to choose :)It feels even more hostile when you consider that Quark is actually actually forcing people to buy a release they do not know anything about (anyone buying now, is buying Q10 basically). Quark could have easily allowed upgrades to Q10 until the end of 2013, that would have given people enough time to evaluate the new release. If Q10 was a great release, why the hurry to force people into buying "a pig in a poke"?Surely more people would upgrade if a sane transition window (e.g. end of 2013) for the new upgrade policy was introduced. To me, the likely explanation of why people are forced into the "upgrade to Q10 from any version" option before the release or even any substantial product information becomes available, is that Quark does not have much faith in their own work. Sad.
I think the message here is that Quark are not forcing people to do anything Its your choice whether you keep up to date with upgrades or not Version 9 is the last version to open files lower than version 7 and if you upgrade to 9 you get version 10 free so what's the problem if you don't like 10 you still have 9 which is not a 'dog' when it comes to an alternative to Indesign.

UtahLlama

Post by UtahLlama » 09 Jul 2013, 09:55

Earlier today had an new email from Gavin, taking up suggestions of changing the cut off date for upgrade from v8 to the end of 2013. Also extending upgrade period for v3-v7 users a little longer too. Well done for the suggestions and well done to Gavin for listening.

omegaman

Post by omegaman » 09 Jul 2013, 13:14

UtahLlama wrote:Earlier today had an new email from Gavin, taking up suggestions of changing the cut off date for upgrade from v8 to the end of 2013. Also extending upgrade period for v3-v7 users a little longer too. Well done for the suggestions and well done to Gavin for listening.

Yes, I thought this was a good move on Quark's part. Well done Quark.

remote

Post by remote » 15 Jul 2013, 22:26

@GavinDrake:
Thank you for listening and removing the customer unfriendly pressure from the upgrade "offer" (formerly perceived more as a threat).

Needless to say that damage to our relationship with Quark has already occured, funny or sadly enough mirroring how Adobe destroyed their standing in our company by introducing the exact same eat-or-die policy change with the exact same unjustified timely pressure (a few weeks before DEC 31st and on the verge of a new major version release). They also adjusted the policy afterwards, leaving us who swallowed the pill in the worst situation (premature upgrade, outdated version only months after). I would hope Quark will not continue to repeat Adobes mistakes down the road - the thought of Quark CC makes me shudder ;)

Anyway - better late than never, so thank you for this upgrade policy adjustment and including Q10 in the deal.

Rosemary

Post by Rosemary » 29 Jul 2013, 11:31

Congrats on getting a useful reply. Me, I've contacted Quark Customer Service with what seems to me to be a pretty straightforward question, and they sent me a form letter bouncing me to Tech Support. Sheesh. All I want to know is will I be able to upgrade to 10 for free if I already have 9.5 (and have had it for a long time)? Simple question, right? Yes or no. But they have to turn it into a deep, dark mystery. Can anyone here help me out with an answer? I'd hate to think I've been loyal to Quark all these years, only to get screwed now for not having needed to use their offer upgrade to 9 in order to get 10 for free.

Return to “Sofa Threads”