Adobe goes subscription only. What do you think about that?

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
creativeschoise

Post by creativeschoise » 08 Jun 2013, 04:22

I'm very happy with that! It's time that they pass away.....

creativeschoise

Post by creativeschoise » 09 Jun 2013, 01:24

Hi MatthiasPlease more Information about the QuarkXpress Maintenance. Has it to be bought together with a QuarkXpress License or can it be bought later separately too?I mean can I bought Quark Maintenance after an year for my existing QuarkXpress 10 to get extended support and future Versions for free?regardsCreativesChoise

omegaman

Post by omegaman » 09 Jun 2013, 13:03

Check out the following info about QuarkXpress Maintenancehttp://www.quark.com/en/Buy/QuarkXPress_Sales/Maintenance.aspx

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 09 Jun 2013, 21:44

Hi creativechoise,
the link says it all, thanks omegaman.

Quark Maintenance is available for purchase within 90 days of your QuarkXPress full license or upgrade purchase. However to get your free QuarkXPress 10 license you don't need it, as we are offerign that to everybody who bought after May 6.
If you want free technical support for longer than included or your next upgrade of QuarkXPress included, then Quark Maintenance is a great option.
Thanks
Matthias

creativeschoise

Post by creativeschoise » 09 Jun 2013, 22:21

Thanks omegaman & MatthiasYes, Quark Maintenance seems to be an useful option and the 2 year price is a bargain .

shaharaperil

Post by shaharaperil » 10 Jun 2013, 03:28

I don't like being forced to upgrade. I still use Mac OS 10.6.8 on one of my Macs and what happens when their programs no longer support it? Does that mean my subscriptions are worthless unless I upgrade my OS? What if I don't want to upgrade my OS on THEIR schedule? Also, I like having more than one version of a program on my hard drive so I can test various things against each other. On one computer, I go back as far as Quark 7. If updates are automatic, then I lose control over my system and how I like to work. And what if my internet service goes down...which it does a lot with Comcast? Does that mean I can't do any of my work because I can't access "The Cloud?" Sometimes I like to drive deep into the woods where there is no wi-fi and do my work in peace and quiet. It's not reasonable to think I'm always going to have wi-fi available if I need to reinstall a program. Adobe has been getting on my last nerve for years and I find myself using their programs less and less. It's really becoming not worth the effort.

shaun

Post by shaun » 11 Jun 2013, 04:22

Not happy at all - especially since I am thinking of getting the new MacPro on which I can run up-to-date software. And I can't get CS6 at the upgrade price - I have CS4. So it's "Cloud" or full price!
At the moment I am still running a (non-Intel) G5. A move to the new MacPro will therefore require me to update Quark (I have version 7.5 - unless it will run on the new beast), Photoshop (etc) and a couple of other major applications. I prefer a system where I have everything on my desktop and don't have to rely on having a connection to someone else's 'cloud' to be able to run a program.

shaharaperil

Post by shaharaperil » 11 Jun 2013, 05:21

I have Quark 7.3 on an 2.66 Dual Core Intel Mac running OS 10.6.8. It does launch, but I would get the 9.5 upgrade and the free version of 10 because Quark will let you upgrade from 7.5 for $349.00. That would be worth it to me to have access to all 3 versions.

remote

Post by remote » 11 Jun 2013, 22:43

sounds like a good plan and while it is tempting, we'll likely hold out until we know to some degree where the focus for QXP 10 has been placed. not really keen on buying a product without any knowledge on whats in the box. frequent crashed aside, QXP 8.5 is doing a good job for old fashioned, boring print designers ;)

waamsy

Post by waamsy » 17 Jun 2013, 10:30

I hate this new Adobe CC subsription only policy. I am an independent contractor, and I freelance. I stay with versions until I am presented with a reason to upgrade. I switched to Indesign when it was the only publisher available on OSX all those years back. I stayed with Quark for as long as I could but the migration to OSX was just too dang long. My entire work was in OSX and I hated using Cocoa to get back into OS9. This disruption in my work I felt was uncessary and threatened my way of making a living.
Honestly, I have never thought about switching back to Quark until now. What Quark did back then sucked for me, however what Adobe is doing now is unforgivable.
My migration back to Quark is hit by these few very real snags however.
1. My main printer, and back up printer too don't even have a back up copy of Quark to load onto their systems. However, they too are pissed off about CC so there could be change here? I'm not betting on this yet.
2. A full version of Quark is very expensive. A possible competitive upgrade might entice me, and especially the people I need to have Quark most, the printers and other designers.
3. One look at the Quark interface, and I can say, I am totally out of my element here.

Return to “Sofa Threads”