Adobe goes subscription only. What do you think about that?

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
waamsy

Post by waamsy » 17 Jun 2013, 10:30

I hate this new Adobe CC subsription only policy. I am an independent contractor, and I freelance. I stay with versions until I am presented with a reason to upgrade. I switched to Indesign when it was the only publisher available on OSX all those years back. I stayed with Quark for as long as I could but the migration to OSX was just too dang long. My entire work was in OSX and I hated using Cocoa to get back into OS9. This disruption in my work I felt was uncessary and threatened my way of making a living.
Honestly, I have never thought about switching back to Quark until now. What Quark did back then sucked for me, however what Adobe is doing now is unforgivable.
My migration back to Quark is hit by these few very real snags however.
1. My main printer, and back up printer too don't even have a back up copy of Quark to load onto their systems. However, they too are pissed off about CC so there could be change here? I'm not betting on this yet.
2. A full version of Quark is very expensive. A possible competitive upgrade might entice me, and especially the people I need to have Quark most, the printers and other designers.
3. One look at the Quark interface, and I can say, I am totally out of my element here.

remote

Post by remote » 17 Jun 2013, 11:54

1. your printer should work with pdf, not raw layouts2. I believe quark has done crossgrades fro adobe users before? dont know really, but I agree that a full quark license for new users is not competitively priced compared to the adobe suite(!)3. we switched to indesign recently (before the CC disgrace went down) and had the same issue ... now we can work with both. We still prefer the Quark UI to Indesign, so I guess this is largely down to what you are used to and not a matter of one being better.

omegaman

Post by omegaman » 17 Jun 2013, 12:42

I agree. I send nothing but PDF's to the printers and the newspapers everyone here (Penrith, NSW Australia) that I deal with can handle PDF's even the smaller print shops. You do not want Print Shops messing with documents and fonts that's asking for trouble. If you have doubts about using high end PDF's obtain a film proof to check everything is as it should be.

waamsy

Post by waamsy » 17 Jun 2013, 14:17

I have sent PDF's to my printer many times, however I have a pretty good relationship with them, and I have never had any problems sending indd files to them. It's actually helped me with many of my documents because I bleed a lot. Perhaps I have been missing something all along about bleeds in PDF's?
Anyway, I was joking with them last week saying I might jump ship and he told me to tell him how it went so he too is monitoring events.

shaun

Post by shaun » 18 Jun 2013, 04:36

shaharaperil wrote:I have Quark 7.3 on an 2.66 Dual Core Intel Mac running OS 10.6.8. It does launch, but I would get the 9.5 upgrade and the free version of 10 because Quark will let you upgrade from 7.5 for $349.00. That would be worth it to me to have access to all 3 versions.

Sounds like the best bet; and rather than miss the offer by waiting for the new MacPro to be on sale I've got hold of a second-hand Mac Intel laptop so I can download etc and then transfer to a newer computer later.

snailman

Post by snailman » 13 Aug 2013, 12:09

I used QXP 3/4 in mid 90's to 2001 for dissertation and my first book, then ID 1, 3, briefly tried 5 which almost knocked out 10 years of work (saved by back-ups). CS3 was rock stable on my 1291 page, 1042 figs. book published last year, but does not run on the newer macs (no rosetta). Cloud is a no-go, as I work regularly out of internet access in museum collection and libraries all over the world. Adobe clearly screwed up.So QXP 9/10 here I come! Hope Quark will last for my next >1000 page-books to see the press in 10-15 years. I very much like the non-profit pricing available.

Lamin

Post by Lamin » 12 Sep 2013, 20:24

I have switched from Indesign in Adobe Creative Cloud (CC) to Quarkxpress 9 (with free upgrade to 10:). I love Quarkxpress so far (look and feel, UI, e-book tools...), and it feel good to "own" my studio tools. After leaving CC, my set up, or what I would use if I needed it, looks like this:- Indesign is now Quarkxpress- Photoshop is now Pixelmator- Illustrator is now Sketch- Flash is Hype- Lightroom is now Aperture- Premiere would be Final CutIf I have a choice, I will never again pay rent to be able to access what I create.

Return to “Sofa Threads”