How easy is it for users to go from 6.5 to 9?

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
jonmoore

Post by jonmoore » 06 Aug 2013, 22:41

Hi. Let me say first that I'm not a Quark user myself, but I've got the job of looking at how we can upgrade tools we use in various parts of our business. We have some people who do some content editing with Quark 6.5. They are not designer or expert users - rather, they've been taught procedures for carrying out particular tasks as part of some content generation workflows. While we're looking in the longer term at completely revamping the process, in the short term I'm interested in how easy it would be to upgrade these users to a supported version of the software. They are in a very busy department with a lot of througput, and setting aside time for significant retraining would make things more difficult - I'm hoping for a quick win.
So my question, which I hope someone here can answer: how different is version 9 from 6.5, from the point of view of this type of user? If at some point there's been a major revamp of the application, menus rearranged, etc., then I'm probably looking at some significant retraining. If, however, all the functionality of 6.5 works pretty much the same way in 9, with the changes between versions being largely additive, then I may have a quicker and more agile approach open to me.
I'm not looking for a detailed comparison, just a high-level steer - I don't use Quark myself, and I've had a hunt for screenshots, videos and tutorials which would give me some sort of comparison, without much success. If I were to sit a non-expert 6.5 user in front of version 9, would 6.5 functionality basically work as they are used to, or would they feel lost and need to resort to training materials to get going?
Many thanks if you're able to help me.

omegaman

Post by omegaman » 07 Aug 2013, 11:51

jonmoore wrote:Hi. Let me say first that I'm not a Quark user myself, but I've got the job of looking at how we can upgrade tools we use in various parts of our business. We have some people who do some content editing with Quark 6.5. They are not designer or expert users - rather, they've been taught procedures for carrying out particular tasks as part of some content generation workflows. While we're looking in the longer term at completely revamping the process, in the short term I'm interested in how easy it would be to upgrade these users to a supported version of the software. They are in a very busy department with a lot of througput, and setting aside time for significant retraining would make things more difficult - I'm hoping for a quick win.
So my question, which I hope someone here can answer: how different is version 9 from 6.5, from the point of view of this type of user? If at some point there's been a major revamp of the application, menus rearranged, etc., then I'm probably looking at some significant retraining. If, however, all the functionality of 6.5 works pretty much the same way in 9, with the changes between versions being largely additive, then I may have a quicker and more agile approach open to me.
I'm not looking for a detailed comparison, just a high-level steer - I don't use Quark myself, and I've had a hunt for screenshots, videos and tutorials which would give me some sort of comparison, without much success. If I were to sit a non-expert 6.5 user in front of version 9, would 6.5 functionality basically work as they are used to, or would they feel lost and need to resort to training materials to get going?
Many thanks if you're able to help me.
Made the switch a year ago. Learning curve was basically zero for me. I doubt you will have problems making the adjustment. Download a trial and try it.

jonmoore

Post by jonmoore » 07 Aug 2013, 21:55

Thanks. I would try it myself, but I don't know the product at all myself. If they're as similar as you suggest, it's probably worth giving it a quick try out with one of our users.

ampegg66

Post by ampegg66 » 14 Aug 2013, 08:51

I would agree that it should be a fairly painless transition. There are some new tools and functions, and the interface has a different look, but the main tools, dialog boxes and menu commands should be very familiar. The trial version is fully functional, so you could easily turn a user or two loose for 30 days before committing.

Return to “Sofa Threads”