So, what's the verdict?

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
thing

So, what's the verdict?

Post by thing » 01 Jun 2008, 21:59

On the new forum - good, bad or just plain ugly?

I'm 50/50 at the moment. It's wider on my screen, so that's good. But so far, it seems, the only way I can do line returns and paragraph breaks is to actually type the tags myself! That's not good. Having to type a less-than symbol then br then a greater-than symbol for every return, and twice for a para break) is a pain. Where's the WYSIWYG editor?

Then the latest posts lists is a little less user friendly - but I suspect I'll get used to that.

Found a few bits that either don't work or simply upset the place a bit too.

However it's still much better than Adobe's! I still can't figure why 'they' didn't embed a phpBB forum though - in my opinion that's a superb freebie forum option!

Good luck all ... enjoy typing those tags! Unless I'm missing something ...

Greg

thing

So, what's the verdict?

Post by thing » 01 Jun 2008, 22:15

Ah ... look ... in Firefox (Mac) I've got a 'proper' WYSIWYG text editor. No manual tags required!
In Safari (Mac) I haven't got the editor. That'll be a bug then guys. Looks to me like the editor is the TinyMCE job - I've had mixed results with that and Safari. There are lots of other editors available, whenever I've run a board I've popped several editor options in and allowed the user to choose which one they use.
Good luck!
Greg

Sunburst369

So, what's the verdict?

Post by Sunburst369 » 01 Jun 2008, 22:24

and the votes from the Scottish jury are - a bit cheesy

Emma

So, what's the verdict?

Post by Emma » 01 Jun 2008, 22:55

Have I missed something, or has the 'posts since you last visited' feature gone? I can read 'posts you have not read' but that isn't what I want. Also this view doesn't tell me which forum the post is from.

For instance, I don't use Interactive Designer or Dynamic Publishing (whatever that is....) so I don't want to bother clicking on threads in those forums. Now, I can't tell where a post is.

Perhaps I can change a setting somewhere....

And yes, I'm going to have to use Firefox, which is a pain as I usually just have the one browser running.

InDesigner

So, what's the verdict?

Post by InDesigner » 02 Jun 2008, 01:34

Being the old fart I am, I'm not a fan of change. But this is an improvement over the old forums.

Tisha Biondy

So, what's the verdict?

Post by Tisha Biondy » 02 Jun 2008, 01:59

It's ok. The text is too small. How do I enlarge It?

Emma

So, what's the verdict?

Post by Emma » 02 Jun 2008, 02:00

I'm not getting email updates!

And I'm sure I had a lot more posts than that to my credit!

Scripting_Ace

So, what's the verdict?

Post by Scripting_Ace » 02 Jun 2008, 02:47

Well, for my part being an "old farth" does not mean I do not welcome changes. It is only fair to say that we will all prefer certain thing better with this forum and wish that all thta we liked about the last one would be present here as well. But thta would only be possible if we were living in Utopia.
Her is my list of "faults" I transmitted to the forum administrator:
[olist][*]I wish for a way to mark very posts in a forum as read.[*]Would like to see the board take the whole width of my web browser. I paid good money for a wide screen display and hate having all that real-estate go to waste.
[*]The new server speed is not consistent.[*]Too much "vertical" real-estate is wasted when we browse the content of a forum. Rows are too high.[*]Even more "horizontal" is wasted when browsing a forum since the right side is not getting used.[*]Isn't there anything that could be done to re-link all those "board-to-board" redirection. I mean, you took the stuff from 1 database to pour it into another. Those link are specified by using what, post ID? There is got to be a way to relink those. If that was a Filemaker Db I'd be able to do this in an hour.[*]Private Message notification. Could we we a popup warning us of these?[*]Changing the sort order returns a "Page Not Found" error. (Was not able to reproduce this)[*]Threaded view produces "Page Not Found" error.[*]Links to oher website should open in a new tab or a new window.[*]Any reason why polls are no longer accepted/supported?[*]Any way we can get the "Bread Crumbs" further down th page, like just below the "Rating", "Email Subscription", "Change View" button. This would tie in much more with the last version of the forum.[*]"Previous" and "Next" button points to a "Page Not Found" error.[/olist]That said I do like some of the new features al well:
[olist]
[*]Forum subscriptions[*]Having the ability to hide forum that bears no interest to me[*]The WYSIWYG editor makes poting a lot easier.[*]We can now see form reading each other's posts who is currently online without having to go the Forums home.[/olist]I say we give them a bit of time to iron the bugs out and/or maybe implement new feature...

Until then, happy posting !

Emma

So, what's the verdict?

Post by Emma » 02 Jun 2008, 04:03

I have email subscription enabled but haven't received any emails today. And I am on the correct work account, email address is correct.

Anyone else?

Scripting_Ace

So, what's the verdict?

Post by Scripting_Ace » 02 Jun 2008, 04:04

Scripting_Ace wrote:
[olist][*]I wish for a way to mark very posts in a forum as read.[/olist]

Guess I was wrong, there is a way but it is hidden way deep into theis new UI.
[olist][*]Browse any given forum and move to the bottom of the page
[*]Click on the "More Option" button.[*]There is the "Mark All Read" button.[/olist]It had to be somewhere, this was just unheard of

Return to “Sofa Threads”