Anyone using the New MacPro with Quark ?

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
shaun

Anyone using the New MacPro with Quark ?

Post by shaun » 26 Jun 2014, 04:09

Just wondering if the new MacPro makes Quark any faster ...
And if anyone here has actually bought one yet ...

UtahLlama

Re: Anyone using the New MacPro with Quark ?

Post by UtahLlama » 27 Jun 2014, 16:23

Not got around to trying Quark10. But do have access to a Mac Pro.

Had one at work for a few weeks, an entry level spec with upgraded Dual AMD FirePro D500 GPUs with 3GB of GDDR5 VRAM each. Bought to run CC since CS6 was soooooooo slow on Intel Core2 Duo. The Mac sits there looking remarkably shiny, from those who know what it is, it draws "oohs" and a compulsion to touch (similar to the alien monolith in "2001", or Stonehenge or a piece of Moon rock); from those who don't know what it is you get the inevitable conversation... "What's that?"… "It's the new Mac"… "You're joking?"… "No it's really the new Mac" … :o .
Sadly its main use seems to be to use Microsoft Remote Desktop to update our MIS on a virtual PC. Its a bit like poking a snail with a stick, doesn't matter whether the stick is wooden or space age anodised a shiny tungsten shade of grey, you are still just poking a snail.
It's too advanced to run the Prinergy/Preps combo until we get an upgrade later this year.

Today I did stretch its legs with a 33 layer photoshop file 1.2GB in size, only cutting pasting and moving layers about, but it was fluid and without hesitation, it also saved the file in a couple of seconds. Every so often I get a catalogue supplied in InDesign with about 12GB of Links and it can take up to 30-40minutes to create the pdf on my older mac so will be interested to see how the new one compares.

Sarbjit Singh
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Sarbjit Singh » 02 Jul 2014, 08:28

The new Mac Pro does have some amazing specs!!

You may want to try the 30-day Test Drive for QuarkXPress 10. If you do, do let us know how you find it on the new Mac Pro.

shaharaperil

Post by shaharaperil » 22 Oct 2014, 15:54

I recently got one of the new "trash can" Macs and there is very little that is slow on this computer. 3.5 GHz 6-core with 12 GB of memory. There are sometimes when I perform an action and it's done before I even lift my eyes off the keyboard. I feel like I should be controlling satellites from this computer.

shaun

Post by shaun » 22 Oct 2014, 16:07

That's the sort of speed I would like - but it'll take a while to save enough for one!

Return to “Sofa Threads”