Which version of QuarkXPress was your first?

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.

Which version of QuarkXPress was your first one?

Quark XPress 1
3%
QuarkXPress 2
14%
QuarkXPress 3
66%
QuarkXPress 4
7%
QuarkXPress 5
No votes
QuarkXPress 6
No votes
QuarkXPress 7
No votes
QuarkXPress 8
No votes
QuarkXPress 9
7%
QuarkXPress 10
3%

Total votes: 29

UtahLlama

Re: Which version of QuarkXPress was your first?

Post by UtahLlama » 23 Jul 2014, 17:20

FontWizard XT (also free from quark worked with v4) embedded fonts in EPS, mine of useless information 8-) 8-)

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 23 Jul 2014, 18:18

UtahLlama wrote:
eyoungren wrote: And seriously? You'd really want an OS X version of QuarkXPress 4.x? No dropshadows, no PDF import no PDF export, no PSD import, no AI import, no font embedding when exporting EPS, no transparency, no compatibility with Suitcase X1, let alone Fusion, Fusion 2, 3, 4 and 5. You really want to go back to the era of doing all your artwork inside Photoshop and then importing, going back and forth between the two apps to tweak your layout? XPress 10 so far doesn't even offer stroked text! It's still text to box!
There were Apps for that before the word App or Higgs Boson :D they were known as XT
no dropshadows; Shadowcaster… noPDFimport or Export; PDF Filter (free XT from Quark v1.6 worked** with Quark4.04 (but not if you only had a 68k version)
**worked being used in the loose sense that you could import and export pdfs as long as you weren't too fussed about them matching. but then things didn't really improve till v8, and probably got worse when JAWS was introduced.
no font embedding when exporting EPS;can't remember but surely Creo had an XT… no transparency;give you that one ;) no SuitcaseX1 etc:Suitcase10 worked fine and as a bonus :lol: the XT worked properly too.

Going back and forth between apps; Today I spent a couple of hours creating a cutter then pulling a pdf apart with pitstop to create bleed and remove trim marks editing text back and forth with InDesign Illustrator and Pitstop, really same old of rubbish just different apps :evil:
Yes, XTensions. I had a few of the ones you named. Badia had a free utility bundle too which gave you the ability to embed fonts, but there were also others. The PDF Filter XTension sucked though because you had to have an Acro 4 or less PDF with no transparency. And exporting to PDF was simply hiding the fact that it exported a PS file and dropped it on to Distiller. Which meant you had to have the full version of Acrobat to use it.

While I complain, Quark really did start trying to turn things around with 6.0. A lot of what was XTensions is now part of the core. Heck, they even bought A Lonely Apprentice and one of the former ALAP engineers I know has been in Quark's R&D unit for a long time now since that happened.

Every version has improved and I am very glad that we've gone from the dark days of multiple devs building XTensions to Quark taking that in house. It makes for a more finished and polished product that is more versatile and useful. I'd never want to go back to 4!

And I hear you with regard to ID, Acrobat and Pitstop. It is indeed the same thing, but that's because customers provide crappy PDFs that we have to fix or make work. But honestly, how much time do you spend in Photoshop tweaking backgrounds anymore or even worse dropshadows?

No, I hear you. But going backwards to 4. is going backwards, not forwards!

UtahLlama

Post by UtahLlama » 24 Jul 2014, 17:33

oh yes back in those days about half my working day might have been spent in photoshop, spotting and cropping raw scans, dust and scratches hadn't come along yet, retouching to creatives marked up sketches or QC's colour correction "-2yellow in mid tones" to justify them having a job, seemingly endless clipping paths. these days photoshop is a tool I'm more likely to use on my own photos at home sorting out bad exposures, maybe once a month at work I might have to colour correct a batch of pictures in a pdf

omegaman

Post by omegaman » 24 Jul 2014, 19:21

Don't get me started about the bad ol' days of deep etching cars for a full page ad an then trying to RIP the ad through a Linotronic 330 imagesetter! Clipping paths were a pain in the ass! The there were the workarounds, which usually took three times longer than etching and producing the original ad. QuarkXpress 3.3 reigned supreme then, but I had Pagemaker at home and used it quite often on my own stuff.
27 inch iMac / Intel Core i5 / 2.66 GHz / 16 GB Memory / System: Yosemite 10.10.5 – PRINCIPAL DESIGN SOFTWARE: QuarkXpress 9 and 2015 / Affinity Designer / Affinity Photo / Acorn / Pinegrow Web Designer
http://www.e-assistance.com.au

Jimco

Post by Jimco » 25 Jul 2014, 13:21

Q 2.0. Still have the floppies for 2.1. Also have v1 backed up on CD somewhere. PM1, Ill1, PSD1 (also precursors - Digital Darkroom, Photomac). Pretty much there from the beginning - started on a 512K Mac in '84 at U of N. Fla. Probably the first school in the country to teach hands-on Mac graphics.

LTD

Post by LTD » 26 Jul 2014, 10:49

I think I was at version 1 (what ever version was out early 1989). That's 25 years for me!

shaun

Post by shaun » 21 Sep 2014, 08:01

3.3.2 for Mac, followed by 4, plus some lowly apprentice stuff to fix window, then 4.1 using old (pre OSX) 8.6; jumped to 6, then 7, 7.5 on PPC; now 9 & 10 on Intel.

shaharaperil

Post by shaharaperil » 22 Oct 2014, 15:45

I think I stared in the mid 3s. That was back in the days before PDFs, when we had to print everything out and use that toxic glue spray to create the layouts that we sent to press. I remember how mad everybody used to get when somebody would spray that stuff without opening a window first. I wonder how many brain cells we killed back then trying to put out a newspaper? :lol:

Return to “Sofa Threads”