Older version Quark files..can you help me?

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
firefly

Older version Quark files..can you help me?

Post by firefly » 23 Oct 2014, 10:55

Good morning, I have some quark files from 2004 with some artwork that I had someone do for me. I had them send me the files for my records. I tried to call them but they are no longer in business. I have decided to try and use them again but the file extension on them was just .file. I found out from someone that the files are older version Quark files. I just downloaded a 30 day free trial of Quark to see if the files are still usable. I can not seem to get them into the free trail version. Any ideas on how I might be able to see what I have on this cd????

Thanks so much and have a good day!

Andy

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: Older version Quark files..can you help me?

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 23 Oct 2014, 10:59

Hi Andy,

if they are before version 7, then QuarkXPress 10 can't open them.

Here's how you can try:
1) Rename all files to *.qxd please.
2) Use the QuarkXPress Document Converter to see if they are valid files: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=26842
3) If yes, then the converted file will open in QuarkXPress 10.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

firefly

Follow up from firefly

Post by firefly » 23 Oct 2014, 11:00

It just occurred to me that maybe these files were created on a MAC operating system....could that be part of the problem???

Andy

firefly

Post by firefly » 23 Oct 2014, 11:02

Thank you for your warp speed response. I'm out the door right now but will try what you suggest when I return. Thanks again!

Andy

firefly

Post by firefly » 23 Oct 2014, 11:10

I went in to rename the files and had trouble...so I looked at the properties of the file and it said something about Adobe Illustrator....
Huum, Do you think I'm headed in the wrong direction??? Seems like the info I got was incorrect and maybe they are Adobe files.

Does that sound right to you?

Thanks again!

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 23 Oct 2014, 11:27

The issue can be one of the file association being wrongly associated with AI...but it also could simply be an AI file. If you don't end up being able to get any open, would you ZIP up one file and upload it here? Then we can take a look.

Mike

firefly

Post by firefly » 23 Oct 2014, 11:31

Thanks Mike,

I guess I'm looking at downloading a trial version of Adobe next. I'll try to get my hands around this in the next day or so. If I can't figure it out I will do what you suggested.

Thanks for you help! Have a good day!

Andy

firefly

Post by firefly » 26 Oct 2014, 12:51

Hi Mike,

Well, I was able to open one file in AI. The others seem to be quark files. When I try to look at them in Quark Express 10 it says they are locked and that this version of express can not open them. I have attached one of the files for you to look at...I renamed it a qxd file. I'll look forward to your comments. I just tried to upload the file but it says the file extension qxb is not allowed???? I'll send you a copy of the original. Each time I try to send you a copy of the original file it says the extension is not allowed. I'll try to send the whole file. Nothing seems to be working. I can not attach anything to this message.

Have a good day.

Andy

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 26 Oct 2014, 12:58

Hi Andy,

ZIP (compress) the file and try uploading it using the Upload Attachment tab when replying.

Otherwise, upload it to wikisend.com (no account needed) or dropbox.com and provide the download link.

Mike

firefly

Post by firefly » 27 Oct 2014, 09:08

Good morning Mike,

Here goes...I zipped it!
Attachments
1.5 inch label.zip
(30.96 KiB) Downloaded 639 times

Return to “Sofa Threads”