Top Ten List of Coworker Annoyances

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
shaharaperil

Top Ten List of Coworker Annoyances

Post by shaharaperil » 21 Nov 2014, 15:56

1. When someone is claiming we should switch to Indesign because Quark "can't" do something that is has been able to do since version 4.

2. When someone has a technical problem and I ask them what they tried to do to resolve it and they say, "Nothing. I just called you."

3. When someone designs a piece using a font they found on CrazyUglyFontsDesignedBy10YearOlds.com and they wonder why they're getting errors with their text every time they try to make a PDF.

4. When managers don't understand why you can't Borg everybody, so that they can do everything you do.

5. When somebody says they need something right away and you give it to them and it sits on their desk for 4 weeks collecting dust.

6. When someone claims an image that is 3000 pixels x 3000 pixels is "low-res" just because it's saved at 72 DPI.

7. When people keep explaining things to you after you say, "Okay. I got it."

8. When someone puts a giant lunch bag in the refrigerator and the only thing inside of it is a tuna sandwich.

9. When you send someone an e-mail asking them if they want to go with the blue cover OR the red cover and they reply with, "Yes."

10. When someone claims they need more memory for their computer because that will make everything go "a lot faster."

eyoungren

Re: Top Ten List of Coworker Annoyances

Post by eyoungren » 21 Nov 2014, 16:11

• When someone comes to you with a computer issue and they respond "No" when you ask if they've tried restarting their computer
• When the Ad Manager goes on and on about a simple ad. I'm not a three year old. I can read and follow directions.
• When the Ad Manager forgets to include a full page ad on the run sheet and the Publisher has to take your page dummies back to rearrange pages – AFTER you've laid in ads and formatted copy.
• When you're told "I take pride in my work" and then open a document that proves exactly the opposite.
• When the Ad Manager submits ads months ahead of time and then comes back days before publication because "there's a change."
• When the Ad Manager and Sales rep STILL F*ING ask what the frickin' weekly deadline is!
• When the Ad Manager and Sales rep want changes on an approved ad that's already been placed.
• When the Ad Manager and Sales rep can't say NO to the customer and don't understand why you can't make the impossible happen.
• When the Ad Manager INSISTS on interrupting you when you are trying to get out the newspaper on deadline that has HER ADS RUNNING IN IT!
Erik Youngren • Pueblo Publishers, Composing Manager
2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro | InDesign CC17 | Suitcase Fusion 7
erik.youngren@erikyoungren.com
Quark forum member since 2001

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 21 Nov 2014, 19:50

Good lists, Erik.
1. When someone is claiming we should switch to Indesign because Quark "can't" do something that is has been able to do since version 4.
And yet y'all switched ;^)

My list of annoyances would actually be concerning employees. I've mostly been either my own business or a single contractor. I did go insane for a 3 1/2 year period and went to work for my then best client when I sold my first design shop in 1998. But it was a pretty autonomous existence and everyone, and I mean everyone, was great to work with.

With only a little rewrite, though, both your lists could fit so many employees I had (first list) or some clients I had over the years (second list). My worse client over the course of a single year (still don't know who fired who) was an agency. So many points in your second list fit the manager I interfaced with. Argh, it was frustrating at times. In all fairness, he probably felt the same way with his client wanting changes to something that was "set in stone" prior to me ever seeing their art department's renderings.

At this point, I would (almost) chuck it all to work for someplace where my name was on my shirt...especially after this week being chewed apart with dumb, and I mean dumb, changes to a low-dollar ad campaign. Some days it's all worth it. Some days, perhaps not as much.

Mike

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 21 Nov 2014, 22:40

MikeWenzloff wrote:And yet y'all switched ;^)
Well…true.

But not for any reasons you might think.

I tried switching in 2010 or so, but quickly went back. However, at a point in early 2012 certain things had happened at work (pay cuts, hour reductions) that had me looking for other potential places of employment should I ultimately lose my job (which fortunately did not happen).

I realized that in my area the only firms hiring wanted InDesign experience. At the time, the only thing I could reasonable say was that I'd opened the program. One particularly nasty experience in 2006 where I had to work with a complicated file and no idea what I was doing was traumatic enough. Anyway, I work for a small company (ten employees) and I've always been given wide lattitude as long as the papers get out and the work gets done.

So, I made the decision to switch to InDesign, specifically ID CS4. I did that because I knew that the only way I was ever going to learn the program was if I was paid to do it. On my own time I avoided the program.

So…I essentially gave myself paid training. The first two months or so was extremely painful as I discovered just WHAT ID can and cannot do and how irritating it's GUI/Mouse, palette-happy interface is. I'm a keyboard shortcuts person. My palettes and keyboard shortcuts then have been arranged as closly to how XPress has them as I can get them.

Still there are thing that drive me nuts with ID. I hate that there is only ONE keyboard command to get into the Control pallete, where as XPress has at least three. It's also irritating that the Control palette feels it has to offer what it considers to be the appropriate controls based on the tool you are using. I am often adjusting the size of text frames while I have the text tool selected. I had to resort to a different palette and keyboard shortcut because the Control palette keeps presenting controls based on the text tool.

It's also irritating that you cannot select and replace fonts using the keyboard. You have to use the mouse first to select the font you want to replace.

Anyway, I have a laundry list of things I hate about ID. I still love XPress and use it when I can, but at this point I still have way more XPress experience than I do ID.

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 23 Nov 2014, 11:37

Yep, I've read some of your previous posts about the switch to ID.

I don't have the luxury of one or the other (or yet two other layout applications). Being a contractor, I typically need to use, and return the native files, for whatever the client specs. Mostly that makes me a jack of all trades, master of none, so to speak. I truly enjoy the weeks where I am in only one layout and one vector application.

I am mostly software agnostic. I have preferences, but when it comes down to it, I don't really care. While I often have tight deadlines, I have never worked under the types of regular stress I imagine a newspaper incurs. My stress most often comes from ads that I turn over to newspapers and even those that generate the stress are usually ads going to English newspapers...and that is mostly due to the time differences being so much greater than say the US East coast papers (I'm on the West coast).

Mike

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 23 Nov 2014, 12:12

I had a big old long reply to this, but then I hit the wrong key and bam…all gone.

So, I'll just say, I'm not software agnostic as I learned on XPress so I'm partial to it. I hate Illustrator (I'm a Freehand fan) but I learned it because that's what the industry uses and Adobe killed Freehand. But I've had the luxury of being employed at one place for a few years at a time so I've managed to develop preferences.

Interestingly enough, when I worked at a daily (my first job) the deadlines were far less harsh because the ads we were doing were for days or weeks in advance. Now, at a weekly I'm doing ads for the current week.

BTW, I'm only a bit over from you. I work in Glendale, Arizona so our time difference would not be so great.

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 23 Nov 2014, 13:42

FH was a great application.

My first layout job was a series of tech manuals. I used Ventura Publisher, speaking of companies that fill-off good applications. Of long documents, it still can run circles around both QXP and ID. There are things the tech book world can do in VP as a matter of course neither application has ever done. Sigh.

And I still mostly do long documents. XML is used a lot--speaking of killed-off things. Beginning with version 10, that was killed. So work is mostly done in QXP 9. While XML is certainly a different work procedure in QXP versus ID, I prefer it.

Speaking of that thing known to the design-world as Adobe Illustrator...I cheat, even when I need to turn over art in Illy format. As much as possible (which typically is 100% of the work, unless I need certain effects), I do the work in either Xara Designer Pro. Sometimes I'll use CorelDraw. Then get it into Illy and resave it as an AI file. I am vastly more efficient deisgning vector stuff in XDP than the others, though CD is close. I began with CD in 1990, so it is easy enough for me to use.

There are times I work at one of a couple local print establishments in their pre-press departments. Overflow from them. At one of them, a couple of the employees often debate these things, one of them far preferring all things Adobe, the other QXP and FH. It's entertaining.

My overall preference is simply earning my doggie beans from whomever using their specified applications. That has helped me become software agnostic.

Mike
(who's sorry for hijacking the thread)

shaharaperil

Post by shaharaperil » 24 Nov 2014, 14:50

Speaking of beans, I’ve used ID and I don’t understand why some people think of it as a magic bean that is going to sprout into a beanstalk that leads them to a goose that lays golden eggs. It eventually got the job done, but it crashed more in two weeks than my Quark has in the last 5 years. All the claimed benefits of speed and stability just weren’t there.

My coworkers come down with the fever to switch at least once a year, but practicality usually causes them to go right back to using Quark. Even though the new staffers claim to know ID, they don’t really know it well enough, so switching would mean creating an entire department where nobody is an expert on the main tool we need to use and everyone is fumbling to overcome the learning curve without any knowledgeable support resource to speed things along. There isn’t enough time in the day for that.

They want me to reprogram some of my automated process for ID to make their lives easier and I can probably do it, but I won’t have time to even think about it until mid-January. By then, they could have finished their projects in Quark using the automated processes we already have. Plus, they decided they don’t want subscription versions of Adobe software, so they may eventually have to abandon ID anyway. I’m not sure they realize how impractical it is to invest time and money recreating everything for a program they’ve decided they no longer want to upgrade.

Which leads me add #11 and #12 to my list:

11. When people want to climb every mountain like the von Trapp family and they assume they only need 5 minutes to figure out how to do it.

12. Reinventing the wheel just because. If your bright idea doesn't make things cheaper, faster or somehow better, then it's not really a bright idea.

shaharaperil

Post by shaharaperil » 19 Jun 2015, 10:54

I have a new one to add... when you hand over a document to a coworker for some minor changes and you get it back and it has 50 different fonts in it that weren't there before.

Return to “Sofa Threads”