QuarkXPress 8 to QuarkXPress 9 upgrade pricing is UNFAIR

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
everson

Post by everson » 23 Feb 2011, 01:53

I see at http://www.quark.com/About_Quark/Press/ ... ?ncid=1337 that the Quark-8-to-Quark-9 upgrade price is EUR 399 (GBP 279). But at the same time I see an article in MacWorld http://www.macworld.com/article/158019/ ... 9news.html which says that the Quark-8-to-Quark-9 upgrade price is USD 299.
In the first place, the GBP 279 price is not equivalent to EUR 399.
USD 299 = GBP 192 = EUR 231
GBP 279 = USD 435 = EUR 336
EUR 399 = USD 517 = GBP 332
I think it is unfair -- indeed simply *wrong* -- that as a Quark user living in Ireland I should have to pay USD 517 for software that would only cost me USD 299 if I lived in the United States.
I was an early adopter of Quark 8, which I bought in February 2009. Later on Quark offered two Quark 9 upgrades for the price of one. I don't need two seats, but that's basically offering people a 50% discount. Last November Quark offered the Quark 8 upgrade with the MarkzTools bundle, worth EUR 199. As an early adopter, I didn't benefit from that offer either.
I have been a loyal Quark user since 1988. I have defended Quark's excellence for years -- even during the dark times when Quark's reputation was pretty low. Quark is so much better and easier to use than InDesign.
But the idea that I am "taxed" by Quark with a higher price based on where I live makes me very angry.
I don't get any extra functionality or service for the USD 218 extra that I have to pay, do I?

redbarn

Post by redbarn » 23 Feb 2011, 04:04

When Enda Kenny becomes Taoiseach all Co. Mayo and the whole of Ireland will be getting free Quark upgrades for life!! I, too, have been fairly peed off about the Quark upgrade policy, especially that email which tells you of the fabulous deal you could have had except the email always come after one has just shelled out fortunes on an upgrade. They never tell you before the event, strange that.

Kryten

Post by Kryten » 24 Feb 2011, 05:48

I agree Everson, but it has ever been thus. Adobe particularly, who have similar pricing policies. Their argument being that operating in Europe is more expensive, even though you are dealing with India. I never got Quark 8 to run on my MacPro (10.6.6) so I gave up. I only got Quit on startup every time. In the end I lost patience and confidence that one day I might have a major problem with Quark 8 files and have to lose them - a nightmare scenario. I was freelancing at a digital press house who used InDesign, and I fell in love with it. InDesign CS5 is awesome. I purchased it and a Markzware Q2ID plugin and have now converted all my Quark files to ID CS5, which incidentally has never crashed once.
But the worst part is Quark would not let me sell this useless upgrade (that never worked) from Q7.5 to Q8 by assigning the serial number to a new Quark user. So they've lost a user after 20 years as I will certainly never upgrade again in Quark unless they can get Q8 working for me, then I might consider Q9.
Kryten

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 24 Feb 2011, 23:25

Just to add here. Australia is in the same boat as you guys. I have a friend in Victoria who got a brand new MBP a few months ago and wanted the CS5 Suite. The difference in upgrade price between Australia and the U.S. was well over $300. He was seriously considering wiring me the money and having me ship him a U.S. copy. In the end, because of his relationship with his supplier, whom he threatened to leave, he received the U.S. upgrade price from them.

everson

Post by everson » 25 Feb 2011, 02:28

Write to the CEO and Marketing VPs and tell them you're unhappy with the pricing structure. The more people who do, the more likely they will listen.

s.caaty

Post by s.caaty » 28 Feb 2011, 03:14

Why would want to write to Quark's CEO? If they agree to your point, they'll up the prices in the US :-P-scaaty

rv-

Post by rv- » 02 Mar 2011, 00:27

The prices of goods are not similars in every country so you should compare with the upgrade from XP7 to XP8. I live in France and the pricing is exactly the same as it was about 3 years ago with XP8. Isn't it Fair? I think it is :)
My Badia and Markzware XT upgrades will be together about the same price as my main program, surely there is less code line in them.

Glenn McDowall

Post by Glenn McDowall » 03 Mar 2011, 00:12

Noticed Apple have knocked 100 off the 1st gen iPad last night on the UK store, I think it was only $100 in the US. So... if quark can follow suit I'll wait for Quark 10 to be announced before upgrading to 9. ;)

harleyg98

Post by harleyg98 » 11 Jan 2012, 07:25

Having received an email from Quark inc offering me an upgrade "from any version of Quark" for $299 (around 186) - I tried to upgrade to 9 but was taken to the UK site where 279 was requested.I wrote to the UK marking department and was informed by the writer, Michelle Turner, that she knew nothing about the US offer of an upgrade from ANY version, (note: not any 'US' version). Having sent her a copy of Quark's email offer she promised to get back to me.She didn't.It is particularly frustrating being an early adopter. I've had every Quark version going right back to day one. It used to be a case of those that had the most recent version paid less - which is only fair. Now it seems that early adopters are always treated worse - being unable to claim the second copies offered to new users and/or lower upgrade prices for later adopters.The idea that companies charged pound sterling for the same dollar might hold water for hardware, where increased import duties and potential support issues arose. But for software, particularly upgrades for seasoned users it should be a case of whatever the exchange rate is on the day you order.Before I buy any other software I check the US price and regularly order direct from the States, and all I've paid has been the dollar price converted to sterling.Refreshingly all users have been given a couple of 'thank you freebies' recently from Quark - so things are hopefully looking up.Come on Quark - do the decent thing here.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 11 Jan 2012, 11:19

Email Matthias. He can probably help you.

Return to “Sofa Threads”