Page 2 of 3

Re: Hello Again

Posted: 18 Jul 2017, 18:21
by eyoungren
Yeah, had to leave Facebook. My choice, no one pressuring me, but for my own reasons I had to.

Do miss you guys though which is one of the reasons I'm hanging around online in forums more again.

Re: Hello Again

Posted: 18 Jul 2017, 18:59
by MikeWenzloff
Hi Erik.

I was a reluctant joiner of FB. I only do the Quark closed group thing. Mainly because I'm addicted to helping people and hardly anyone uses the Q forum. If this place was half as active as the FB group, I likely wouldn't have joined it.

Take care, Mike

Re: Hello Again

Posted: 19 Jul 2017, 01:54
by max.peter
Hi Erik!

Everything is OK I guess.

I really miss your posts here, I do appreciate your experience.

Re: Hello Again

Posted: 19 Jul 2017, 02:45
by Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Hi Erik,

have you tried QuarkXPress 2017 yet? It's a different beast. Would love to hear your opinion.

And to get a head start, you can just copy and paste your objects from InDesign over, they become fully editable.

Thanks
Matthias

P.S.: We have many German customers who do not want to share anything on Facebook. After having heard how vibrant the QuarkXPress Facebook Group is, some are using avatars now. "George W." or "Batman" seem to be available ;-)

Re: Hello Again

Posted: 19 Jul 2017, 03:59
by Jean-Marie Schwartz
eyoungren wrote:Yeah, had to leave Facebook. My choice, no one pressuring me, but for my own reasons I had to.

Do miss you guys though which is one of the reasons I'm hanging around online in forums more again.
Hi there! Nice to hear from you, Erik! Thought well it was your decision to leave FB even if I didn't really know wether you left or threw away some friends for some reason. Anyway it is your decision and I respect it plainly, really! And as far as I'm concerned so many times I thought of leaving also. Some links are still tighting me :?
I miss you on FB. This said, I don't want Quark Forums to become an ersatz of FB :D
Keep in touch!

Re: Hello Again

Posted: 19 Jul 2017, 11:44
by eyoungren
MikeWenzloff wrote:Hi Erik.

I was a reluctant joiner of FB. I only do the Quark closed group thing. Mainly because I'm addicted to helping people and hardly anyone uses the Q forum. If this place was half as active as the FB group, I likely wouldn't have joined it.

Take care, Mike
Hi Mike.

I hear you. Time was the forum here was happening. A lot of the people you are seeing in this thread are all people I met here. The Quark forums was the first place I came to know designers from outside my own little world and it's been great.

I liked the interaction I got on Facebook, but it seemed more and more to me that my focus there was becoming something I didn't like. From the standpoint of how I was seeing myself, not anything to do with any of my friends.

I also left Twitter, but was forced to go back as it's the only means to contact T-Force (T-Mobile is my cell carrier) outside of calling them and calling them is a catch-22.

Re: Hello Again

Posted: 19 Jul 2017, 11:49
by eyoungren
max.peter wrote:Hi Erik!

Everything is OK I guess.

I really miss your posts here, I do appreciate your experience.
Max, unfortunately experience is largely XPress 4-8. Unless everyone starts using those apps again I can only offer general advice. But, thanks for that!

I think Mike's experience and willingness to help has been a good benefit to the forum. Mike has a lot of insight and knowledge I don't possess because I haven't been a freelance guy like he has. Most of the stuff I deal with is specific to my situation whereas Mike has had to deal with a lot more stuff.

But you've done well too Max. Loads of experience on your part as well.

What version of XPress are you using now?

Re: Hello Again

Posted: 19 Jul 2017, 11:50
by eyoungren
Matthias Guenther (Quark) wrote:Hi Erik,

have you tried QuarkXPress 2017 yet? It's a different beast. Would love to hear your opinion.

And to get a head start, you can just copy and paste your objects from InDesign over, they become fully editable.

Thanks
Matthias

P.S.: We have many German customers who do not want to share anything on Facebook. After having heard how vibrant the QuarkXPress Facebook Group is, some are using avatars now. "George W." or "Batman" seem to be available ;-)
Matthias, I might give it a shot tommorrow or Friday.

The fact that I can just copy and paste makes a huge difference! Thanks for that!

LOL about the avatars!

Re: Hello Again

Posted: 19 Jul 2017, 11:53
by eyoungren
Jean-Marie Schwartz wrote:
eyoungren wrote:Yeah, had to leave Facebook. My choice, no one pressuring me, but for my own reasons I had to.

Do miss you guys though which is one of the reasons I'm hanging around online in forums more again.
Hi there! Nice to hear from you, Erik! Thought well it was your decision to leave FB even if I didn't really know wether you left or threw away some friends for some reason. Anyway it is your decision and I respect it plainly, really! And as far as I'm concerned so many times I thought of leaving also. Some links are still tighting me :?
I miss you on FB. This said, I don't want Quark Forums to become an ersatz of FB :D
Keep in touch!
JMS! I have your phone number remember? :D

Nah, I left because I was having issues with myself not because of anyone else. Greg emailed me and so did Emma, although she didn't reply to my reply. But I have everyone's email anyway.

Yeah, some of the stuff on there now…I had to mute some of my own family members because I didn't agree with their political views.

And since I've left Zuckerberg and FB itself I've seen do a few things I'm not totally happy about.

Anyway, glad to see you back here Mr. Applescript man! :D

Re: Hello Again

Posted: 19 Jul 2017, 14:37
by max.peter
What version of XPress are you using now?
I am working now with QXP 2017. Really, I have to say this version brings a brand new, totally different experience. You'd try it, there are a lot of new things.

Thank you for your appreciation. I can say I was lucky enough to work in a large printing works with a lot of clients and with various kinds of layouts and products.