InDesign cannot replace Quark

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
charlieartist

Post by charlieartist » 30 Jan 2008, 11:03

[strong]almaink:[/strong]I used to think this way, until Quark 7 came out. Since it's inclusion of transparency wasn't implemented properly, we had no choice but to drop support for version 7. We still except Quark 6 files, but back-saving doesn't work from 7 for transparency and flattening can also cause rip issues so, currently we only except press ready PDF's from customers who have either bought, or upgraded to version 7. That way it's the customers responsibility to check anything that does get flattened in the PDF and either fix it, or find another way to achieve the desired effects.

Interesting--but not surprising. This is probably why I find more printers switching to a full-PDF workflow. I see enough transparency issues with Quark, ID, and AI--mostly user-created.

As for Quark being embedded in the industry, well, here in the DC area, most shops I contact have been moving to ID. I use both. Sure there are diehards, like some designers that didn't want to make the shift from paste-up to digital, and now from print to Web.

But hey, the Greeks had already observed that change is about the only constant in this reality...

rcantin

Post by rcantin » 30 Jan 2008, 11:49

[strong]almaink:[/strong],we had no choice but to drop support for version 7.

We work with our customers like partners do. Telling them Fix it or go away is not in our philosophy.

britsmith

Post by britsmith » 30 Jan 2008, 12:59

Before abandoning Quark altogether though, remember this: without Quark there would be no-one to keep Adobe on its InDesign toes. There would be no competition, and no incentive to advance and improve. If we want to keep Microsoft on its technological toes we by some Macs ... but that's another story! 8)

almaink

Post by almaink » 30 Jan 2008, 15:02

[strong]britsmith:[/strong]Before abandoning Quark altogether though, remember this: without Quark there would be no-one to keep Adobe on its InDesign toes. There would be no competition, and no incentive to advance and improve. If we want to keep Microsoft on its technological toes we by some Macs ... but that's another story! 8)

U do what U want with your business, but after extensively testing Quark 7, we found it will not work in our PDF workflow.
Our 2 customers that use it understand this and supply PDF's, perhaps if Quark would support PDF transparency export, without flattening, we would upgrade and support it again, butsince that doesn't seem to be happening, we may never know.

charlieartist

Post by charlieartist » 30 Jan 2008, 19:05

[strong]almaink:[/strong]if Quark would support PDF transparency export, without flattening, we would upgrade and support it again, butsince that doesn't seem to be happening, we may never know.

Alma, is this transparency technology perhaps proprietary to Adobe?

As an example, I remember that for years, Canon had an edge on Nikon in their SLR autofocus systems because of a patent they held. Then, there was some type of technology swap, and the field was leveled a bit. Unfortunately, unlike Nikon, it doesn't look as if Quark has something they could use as leverage to deal with Adobe...

Tony Morse

Post by Tony Morse » 31 Jan 2008, 01:44

[strong]rcantin:[/strong] [strong]Tony Morse:[/strong]The vast majority of printing facilities have moved to InDesign as the program of choice and I know many that no longer work with Quark at all.

Wrong.

Printing facilities uses the program the documents are created with. Printing facilities refusing Quark document is a fantasy.

Sorry, I didn't realize my personal experience was trumped by your omnipotence.

rcantin

Post by rcantin » 31 Jan 2008, 08:34

[strong]Tony Morse:[/strong]Sorry, I didn't realize my personal experience was trumped by your omnipotence.

No offense! :lol:

almaink

Post by almaink » 31 Jan 2008, 08:51

From what I can gather from web pages I've posted below, JAWS newest version does support transparency in PDF version 1.4. Why Quark can't integrate it into their PDF export feature is beyond me. I need live transparency in PDF's that use it, because flattened PDF's can't be trapped effectively if they are flattened, trying to select a bunch of pieces in my trap editor is just to time consuming. Adobe has the means to export press ready live transparent PDF's, Quark could as well, it seems, if they would just use the current technology available.
Check out these links-

http://tinyurl.com/yqh9nv
http://tinyurl.com/ytkdqz

Jim Oblak

Post by Jim Oblak » 31 Jan 2008, 11:36

Isn't QuarkXPress sending art to JAWS via PostScript, which does not handle transparency at all? Until Quark changes the way it moves data to the JAWS interpreter, we're stuck with flat art.

I doubt this will change. It would be reckless for Quark to engineer its app to export live transparency to be used by a third party PDF generator (if that is even possible). This could all fall apart if the third party stops licensing its product. Quark seems too dependent on JAWS to do any of their own PDF authoring engineering.

almaink

Post by almaink » 31 Jan 2008, 11:42

Yes you are correct. Unless Quark changes it's export to use the JAWS engine, the same way that Adobe's applications use the Adobe PDF Engine for PDF's, Quark will never support transparency.

Return to “Sofa Threads”