InDesign cannot replace Quark

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
almaink

Post by almaink » 31 Jan 2008, 11:42

Yes you are correct. Unless Quark changes it's export to use the JAWS engine, the same way that Adobe's applications use the Adobe PDF Engine for PDF's, Quark will never support transparency.

sboutin

Post by sboutin » 01 Feb 2008, 11:26

Is this transparency issue a problem if you print to postscript and use distiller?

:)

almaink

Post by almaink » 01 Feb 2008, 11:38

Postscript doesn't even know what Transparency is so it needs to be Flattened before it can go to postscript. Thats the problem. You can see this flattening effect if you open the PDF in Acrobat and select all. Everywhere transparency was used and every object in contact with it will be broken up into many small pieces.

sboutin

Post by sboutin » 01 Feb 2008, 11:48

Thank you for that information. I work at a publishing company that prints on cannon printers. Black and white loose leaf pages. The company has lots of web products but I just do print and create pdfs. I do see this but I never knew why it was doing that.

I edit pdfs with illustrator. We get pdfs from outside sources that I put into quark as eps.

Jim Oblak

Post by Jim Oblak » 01 Feb 2008, 12:03

The obvious irony is that this thread is revealing that 'Quark cannot replace InDesign'.

In SherylLB's situation (and many of our own), two licenses (QuarkXPress and Illustrator) are used to simply do what InDesign could do alone.

almaink

Post by almaink » 01 Feb 2008, 12:06

Amen Jim :D

sboutin

Post by sboutin » 01 Feb 2008, 12:19

Well I really don't care for Indesign, many reasons mostly the look and feel. So when the time came to change or upgrade we upgraded to Quark 7. Its been fine. Whatever issues have been solved by old troubleshooting measures dragging pages to a new document with thumbnail, exporting the text back to word, and Fontnuke

We have had adobe illus., and photoshop and acrobat so we upgraded and we stuck with Quark. We have about 20 users on a server with quark server licensed adn a server license for suitcase so the fonts work well too. We have a catalog that is created in Quark in house by designers who send as far as I know pdfs to Quad.

I don't much care for acrobat either. We have some interactive forms that are printed on color paper using manual feed. I ended up just using the Quark file.

Return to “Sofa Threads”