Design Contest!!!

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
Scripting_Ace

Design Contest!!!

Post by Scripting_Ace » 14 Sep 2005, 15:40

[strong]longtimedesigner:[/strong]I'm a licensed Quark user. I just haven't used it in several years. That gives me the right to say what I please about Quark. I paid my dues.

Quit whining and taking things so personally. You said this was supposed to be fun. I'm having fun. Why aren't you?

I take it personnaly because I started this thread and I specifically asked for no trolls. You are clearly not welcome.

Now go play with your dolls, this is the grownups area.

longtimedesigner

Design Contest!!!

Post by longtimedesigner » 14 Sep 2005, 15:42

Quit being a baby and lighten up. You don't own this thread.

willmark

Design Contest!!!

Post by willmark » 15 Sep 2005, 07:43

You know what would go along way in my eyes and others I would guess:

1)No more proclamations of the transcendent superiority of Xpress 7 (which to me is so much vaporware) over ID CS2. Quark can either put up or shut up. The last 3 versions were supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread and were still waiting to be wowed.

2)No more childish mailings claiming the superiority of Xpress 6.5 over CS2, because most of the claims were at best disingenuousness and at worst outright lies.

3)No more proclamations from Uber Spin Meister Extraordinaire Glen Turpin about how Quark is all about open standards. This is total BS. IF thats the case then remove your proprietary lock file from Quark 5, 6, 6.6 and presumably 7 files that prevent ID from opening up. Otherwise youre the heights of hypocrisy.

4)As I mentioned previously a new website, redesigned logo and endless proclamations about how this is the new Quark is not going to make a bit of difference unless you come clean.

What would work in my eyes:

1)Admit as a company you screwed up royally everything Quark and Xpress from the abomination that was Quark 5, to moving tech support offshore, to Freds tirade to the lingering problems with 6- 6.5. So in other words for every thing during the last of 4 years, sound about right? Admitting the problem instead of pretending that there isnt one would be a major step forward.

Do that and you might have a chance. Do you truly think your customers are that dumb? Freds tirade has to be the worst of all, insulting your customers that built you? People dont like having the livelihoods screwed with and I suspect that many people stuck with Xpress since there was no alternative.

In closing Quark is now reaping that which the sowed in the 90s. The peasants revolted, and moved on. Need proof? Look no further then the new Quark; if they were not in second place they would never being doing this in the first place. Quark is no longer dominant. The magazine industry has all but abandoned it.

And regardless of what rabbits Quark attempts to pull out of their hats Quark is not even in Adobes league anymore. Adobe is now a heavyweight and Quark a lightweight. And in about 2 years time when Adobe rolls the technology from Macromedia into their version of the creative suite the game is really up. ID isnt even their biggest seller, Acrobat is and it is starting to approach MS Office in terms of familiarity to the general public.

So in essence Quark has a two-year window to right itself because times are not good for them even now. Where I live very few people/businesss/firms etc.. even use Quark anymore, and those that do still use 4.11 or 3.32 and none of the local colleges including RIT even teach it anymore, they havent for about 3 years the writing is on the wall.

In closing I used it for about 12 years, liked it, never raved about it and moved to something better when it came out. Unfortunately for Quark Im the position that when it came to the decision I was the one who mattered the most being the Systems Administrator. I have a feeling there are plenty of people out there with a similar story.

Mark

JeffSteele

Design Contest!!!

Post by JeffSteele » 15 Sep 2005, 14:02

Maybe you guys haven't seen this yet....

scottisharts.org.uk

I think I smell a lawsuit...

willmark

Design Contest!!!

Post by willmark » 15 Sep 2005, 15:34

What the logo? Yep we're all waiting to see how this pans out.

Mark

Scripting_Ace

Design Contest!!!

Post by Scripting_Ace » 15 Sep 2005, 17:14

[strong]willmark:[/strong]What the logo? Yep we're all waiting to see how this pans out.

Mark
Don't hold your breath, I don't think it will now. You see a very generous TROLL has ruined it for everyone...

longtimedesigner

Design Contest!!!

Post by longtimedesigner » 15 Sep 2005, 17:33

Grow up.

If people want to post logos on this thread, they can post logos on this thread. I'm not stopping anyone.

And since you're crying so much in every post, here's another stylized Q logo, just for you!

http://www.geocities.com/fuquark/pacifier.gif

Lighten up, man. Have some fun!

willmark

Design Contest!!!

Post by willmark » 16 Sep 2005, 07:24

Michel

Respectfully... Anyone who has used Quark for the last 15 years of its existence has every right to complain.

Just because Quark is putting a new foot forward does not mean that we should all develop collective amnesia and mystically forget the crap that Quark has pulled for the better part of the 90s

In short if longtimedesigner wants to gripe about Quark he can do so in whatever form he chooses, Quark has earned the abuse they get and then some.

Mark

Scripting_Ace

Design Contest!!!

Post by Scripting_Ace » 16 Sep 2005, 07:51

[strong]willmark:[/strong]Michel

Respectfully... Anyone who has used Quark for the last 15 years of its existence has every right to complain.

Just because Quark is putting a new foot forward does not mean that we should all develop collective amnesia and mystically forget the crap that Quark has pulled for the better part of the 90s

In short if longtimedesigner wants to gripe about Quark he can do so in whatever form he chooses, Quark has earned the abuse they get and then some.

Mark

I respect that and, to some extent, welcome it. Howvever I specificly asked for no troll posts in this threads.

As it stands, no one ELSE care to be identified with this kind of behaviour. Longtimedesigner can gripe all he wants about Quark but there's nothing preventing him from starting his own bullshit thread and post whatever he wants in it.

I would pretend he chose to crash on other people discussions for fear noone will participate in his venture. That shows major lack of conviction and a great deal of cowardness. That sickens me!!!

You and me probably don't agree on everything but you chose a much better, and civilized way, of "jumping in".

Thanks for your input!

Jim Oblak

Design Contest!!!

Post by Jim Oblak » 16 Sep 2005, 08:18

[strong]Scripting_Ace:[/strong]Howvever I specificly asked for no troll posts in this threads.

You asked. That is all that you can do. Everyone else can respond in any way that they want in a public forum. Complaining about being off topic creates as much noise as being off topic.

To demonstrate how threads can go astray, Google for 'failure' and be amused at the first search result. :lol:

While the Quark logos from longtimedesigner are clever, I wonder why he is here if he does not use Quark. It seems like a colossal waste of time. It seems pointless for Quark haters to come here simply to disparage Quark when users already clearly know Quark's quality.

Return to “Sofa Threads”