Design Contest!!!

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
Jim Oblak

Design Contest!!!

Post by Jim Oblak » 21 Sep 2005, 10:48

Well said. I thought this thread was about designing logos anyway.

grmgroup

Design Contest!!!

Post by grmgroup » 21 Sep 2005, 17:43

http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/23415.html

CreativePro article.

Michel: I am PISSED that I spent so much money on a crappy product. This is what I do to feed my family. Some of my freelancer friends who purchased 5 actually cried when they found out what a horrific upgrade it was. Quark HAD TO keep selling 4 because of the mess that was 5. I'll bitch and moan all I want because I have a lot to bitch about. Quark has for years made it clear that customers can go screw themselves. I took the option of switching to another product.

Any designer who doesn't have Quark and InDesign in their arsenal of sw tools is a hack. Period. I found a better product but I still use Quark because there are still people who insist on it. Mostly outside agencies who have invested in 100's of QX seats and can't switch over an entire shop at one time. No problem. But the better tool for day to day design and production is InDesign for jobs we create and produce for our clients..

Has anyone tried ID? Gone to any of the trade shows? Adobe is probably the only company that I would feel comfortable investing a new page layout program. ID isn't perfect by a long shot but it's a cut above Q.

Last but not least: any hack can take a letter from a font and call it a logo. Hack design by and for a company that is trying to give the impression that it doesn't put out a crap product. That it is still a relevant company. The only thing Q has going for them is the large established base. Certainly not the quality of their product. Read the CreativePro article. It is very well written.

Scripting_Ace

Design Contest!!!

Post by Scripting_Ace » 22 Sep 2005, 08:57

[img]../../themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif"> [strong]grmgroup:[/strong]...
Michel: I am PISSED that I spent so much money on a crappy product.
Umm, kinda the pot calling the kettle (or should it be Quettle) black. You are blaming Quark for not exercising proper judgement in creating their new logo. While I tend to agree, up to a point, it also seems to me you did not properly do your homework prior to buying their product.

Only an utter fool would:[ulist][*]Buy close without trying them on
[*]Buy a car having not even taken it out for a test drive.
[*]Buy a house without even visiting it.
[*]Buy a piece of software without testing it first, or at the very least see what other think of it...[/ulist]My friend, I fear YOU are the only one to blame in that particular venture. I sincerely hope you do not subscribe to the , or have the good sense of staying away from Infomercials, for your house would be filled with useless trinkets. You should promptly setup your own bulletin board and post back the link, so that we all could go complain about your poor work ethics...

longtimedesigner

Design Contest!!!

Post by longtimedesigner » 22 Sep 2005, 11:05

[quote:3949f03eb1]My friend, I fear YOU are the only one to blame in that particular venture. I sincerely hope you do not subscribe to the home shopping network, or have the good sense of staying away from Infomercials, for your house would be filled with useless trinkets.

We're not talking about "buying trinkets" from the Home Shopping Network, Einstein. We're talking about people's livelihoods and the need to keep current in their businesses.

When people needed or wanted to upgrade their computers and have a current application operating on OSX, Quark released an OS9 upgrade then waited 2 years for an OSX release.

When Adobe offered a 30-day refund on purchasing their software, Quark did not.

When the PowerPC processor was released, everyone offered a free native upgrade. Quark charged its customers.

The list about valid complaints about Quark goes on. Those who make those complaints are helping keep others educated before they make a purchasing decision they will regret.

Your posts are getting increasingly pompous.

You say you're on these forums to keep people informed. Those of us who have had bad experiences with Quark also say these forums are to keep people informed.

Get a clue.

Only a fool would criticize those who have had bad experiences with a product for sharing their bad experiences, then continually blame those who purchase the product and are unhappy for "not being informed."

[quote:3949f03eb1]While I tend to agree, up to a point, it also seems to me you did not properly do your homework prior to buying their product.

Consider the criticism of Quark and its product on this forum a form of tutoring so people can do their homework better. Your attempts at dumbing down what people have to say are the exact opposite of what you profess people should be doing -- that is -- being informed.

[quote:3949f03eb1]Only an utter fool would:...Buy a piece of software without testing it first, or at the very least see what other think of it...

Then quit trying to shut people up!!!!!! We're telling you what we think of it so people can "at the very least see what we think of it," and you're telling us to shut up.

Only an utter fool would tell people to, "see what others think," then tell the people who are saying what they think to shut up, then criticize people for, "not seeing what others think."

Are you done with your hypocritical attempts to dumb down the issue yet?

http://www.geocities.com/fuquark/dq.gif

grmgroup

Design Contest!!!

Post by grmgroup » 22 Sep 2005, 12:28

Some good points by several people.

I should have phrased my post better or at least reviewed it! I never purchased QX5 and only recently (6/05) purchased QX6 to use for a new client.

I was happy with QX up to 4. The only alternative was PM which didn't cut it compared to QX. Then 5 came out and friends advised not to purchase it. Around this time I purchased ID1 for $99. As mentioned, Adobe is a company that I trust to make a valid attempt at a page layout program. ID 1 and 1.5 were not quite production ready though I did switch over to 1.5 as my production program.

Another issue that gave me pause was QX very late release of an OSX version which I believe was 2 years late and was simply a poorly ported version of 4. So at the end of the day, the combo of terrible customer service and the extremely rocky path from 4 to 6 including being extremely late with an OSX version made me consider ID and eventually to adopt it. Forgot to mention that ID also has functionality that was only available in QX with additional purchase of extensions.

Logo still *****. I wish I had that account. Could've cleared $10K or more for 20 minutes of work.

Scripting_Ace

Design Contest!!!

Post by Scripting_Ace » 22 Sep 2005, 13:04

[img]../../themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif"> [strong]longtimedesigner, a self-proclaimed troll,:[/strong]A bunch of crap!
Well, nice of you to get your head out of your butt long enough to share that crap with us...

You say you are here to educate people, fine!

As such a preminent educator, you should at least mention the wide array of possible "things[/img]
Not once have I heard/read you saying where you were coming from, what you are doing with the software. What is YOUR perspective on the matter? THAT is is very important of the "educating" you seem to prone so much. No you simply and blankly state over and over that InDesign is better than Quark in all respect. YOU don't know this, You CAN'T know this! Heck, like most "users" out there you probably only use 20% of the software ability anyway, and that is being generous.

In that respect, I consider all your posts to be questionable and without merit.

If Quark was really as bad as you're painting it to be, this place would not exists, Quark inc. would not exists.

I will invite you to read all my previous posts, and point out everytime I stated that Quark was better than InDesign or PageMaker. I doubt you will find any, but this should provide for a nice break anyhow...

Scripting_Ace

Design Contest!!!

Post by Scripting_Ace » 22 Sep 2005, 13:17

[strong]grmgroup:[/strong]Some good points by several people.

I should have phrased my post better or at least reviewed it! I never purchased QX5 and only recently (6/05) purchased QX6 to use for a new client.
Me too, I could have done the same with my reply.

[strong]grmgroup:[/strong]I was happy with QX up to 4. The only alternative was PM which didn't cut it compared to QX. Then 5 came out and friends advised not to purchase it. Around this time I purchased ID1 for $99. As mentioned, Adobe is a company that I trust to make a valid attempt at a page layout program. ID 1 and 1.5 were not quite production ready though I did switch over to 1.5 as my production program.
I am still using 4.11 and has the just about 10 years now so I believe my ROE is very nice on that one...

[strong]grmgroup:[/strong]Another issue that gave me pause was QX very late release of an OSX version which I believe was 2 years late and was simply a poorly ported version of 4. So at the end of the day, the combo of terrible customer service and the extremely rocky path from 4 to 6 including being extremely late with an OSX version made me consider ID and eventually to adopt it. Forgot to mention that ID also has functionality that was only available in QX with additional purchase of extensions.
I am with you on this but I cannot honestly say that a gun has been put to my head to buy Q6. Like I said I still use 4.11 quite a bit.

[strong]grmgroup:[/strong]Logo still *****. I wish I had that account. Could've cleared $10K or more for 20 minutes of work.
Totally agree, that that was the point of this thread before someone decided ti use it as backhouse.

longtimedesigner

Design Contest!!!

Post by longtimedesigner » 22 Sep 2005, 13:28

Scripting_Queen,

Don't pretend you believe in sharing info when all you do is criticize those who share info you don't approve of. Valid criticism of Quark is valuable information for those who would consider purchasing their product, before they get burned.

If you're using a 7-year-old version of Quark, that's great. Some of us like keeping up to date, and won't shut up because some drama queen's feelings are hurt by criticism of a company and its product.

Threads can evolve. This one did. This thread is not your private property. Boo hoo.

http://www.geocities.com/fuquark/dq.gif

Scripting_Ace

Design Contest!!!

Post by Scripting_Ace » 22 Sep 2005, 13:50

[strong]THE self-proclaimed troll:[/strong]...
If you're using a 7-year-old version of Quark, that's great. Some of us like keeping up to date, and won't shut up because some drama queen's feelings are hurt by criticism of a company and its product.
That is my point exactly, I find Quark to be less expansive because even a 7 year old software is STILL DOING the JOB. Try wrapping your head around that concept. Book publishing did not change that much in the last 10 years why should tyour needs do?

BTW (Scott is it?) wich one of these clowns is you?
http://www.sandiegohog.com/photo_galler ... 4%2004.jpg
Or are they not letting you attend functions yet!

Return to “Sofa Threads”