Design Contest!!!

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
Jeff Weinman

Design Contest!!!

Post by Jeff Weinman » 16 Sep 2005, 09:30

I love the failure google, that is the best laugh I've had in a long time. Thanks Jim.

Jeff

longtimedesigner

Design Contest!!!

Post by longtimedesigner » 16 Sep 2005, 09:54

Consider my posts a continued public education service and a parody of the current situation.

Also consider that I wouldn't have posted so much if Ace hadn't gotten confrontational and cried like a baby every time I posted.

Some people actually find humor in parody.

I think it would be fun to see others come up with some logo ideas which reflect Quark and/or Quark's identity crisis.

And Ace, quit being a drama queen, or I might find inspiration for an additional logo parody.

Jim Oblak

Design Contest!!!

Post by Jim Oblak » 16 Sep 2005, 11:04

The parodies are fun. I just wonder how you have the time to disparage an application that you don't use anymore.

If I had the time, I would go to ratemypoo.com and find a log in the shape of a 'Q'. :wink:

longtimedesigner

Design Contest!!!

Post by longtimedesigner » 16 Sep 2005, 11:27

What's the matter, Jim? You can't find 5 minutes here or there? Each of my parodies took less than 5 minutes to create. Would it take you hours to create each one?

On a more serious note, I keep up on my industry. Quark is a big part of the publishing business. I am also benevolent and help keep others in the community informed and entertained.

If you think poo is entertaining, by all means, knock yourself out.

Meanwhile, as someone who's keenly interested and informed about the publishing business, I'll take my little 5-minutes here and there, get a few laughs out of people. Then, I'll watch you bellyache that I spend excess time making fun of a company which so many people are making fun of.

Have fun playing with your poo!

willmark

Design Contest!!!

Post by willmark » 16 Sep 2005, 12:08

[quote:8f6ef5d19e]On a more serious note, I keep up on my industry. Quark is a big part of the publishing business.

This is exactly the same reason I came back here after being an active participant on the old forums. I cant imagine us going back to Xpress anytime soon but I monitor the situation.

We don't use Quark any more but we still have all our old licenses and have upgraded 2 of them to 5 and 6.5 respectively

I watch and learn and very rarely comment in the tech forums on the Quark site, here on the sofa free reign applies.

[quote:8f6ef5d19e]You and me probably don't agree on everything but you chose a much better, and civilized way, of "jumping in".

Sadly in life most people cant agree to disagree anymore, everyone has to prove their right. Me for DTP software? I shrug, if people want to continue using Quark they can go ahead, I on the other had wonder why they would be such a masochist

Mark

Jim Oblak

Design Contest!!!

Post by Jim Oblak » 16 Sep 2005, 18:53

Okay, now that I am not on an employer's computer, I can safely browse ratemypoo.com for a good logo:
The image was not appropriate for these forums and has been removed by forum administrator.

(I guess the fecal log did not look like an 'A' enough to suit Quark) :lol:

Anonymous

Design Contest!!!

Post by Anonymous » 17 Sep 2005, 00:38

I'm glad I chose to view this thread from home. My supervisors would not have appreciated the photo above. It's amazing Quark is allowing the posting of the parody logos in the first place.

grmgroup

Design Contest!!!

Post by grmgroup » 21 Sep 2005, 09:07

Michel:

I was a QX user for over 10 years. I still use it on occasion. The combo of horrendous customer services, exorbitant upgrade fees for mediocre "new" features, and that unusable piece of crap called QX5 made me give ID a shot. It proved to be a far better product with a more cost-effective upgrade fee especially if you own the suite. I don't know how long you've been using QX but it can't be any longer than the rest of us. So all of us are eminently qualified to critique QX and it deserves all the bricks it gets.

Where should I startIndifferent product maintenance is a good place to start. The WORST - by far - customer service of any major sw vendor I have ever dealt with.

Foisting poorly tested upgrades at exorbitant fee. QX5. Nuff said.

So we have a crappy product/company that ramps up for big comeback by sending out a crappy, ill-conceived postcard and print ad campaign. My college interns thought it was so cool. None of them was required to take a single QX course in college. ID yes. The rest of us (over 35) saw the ad campaign for the farce it was. So we have an ad campaign aimed at 20 years olds with no knowledge or history of QX usage. Strange.

The new logo: Yikes! The effort and creativity that went into that logo just blows me away. I retreat into stunned silence.

P.S. tperkins: nice logo.

Scripting_Ace

Design Contest!!!

Post by Scripting_Ace » 21 Sep 2005, 10:24

[img]../../themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif"> [strong]grmgroup:[/strong]Michel:

I was a QX user for over 10 years. I still use it on occasion. The combo of horrendous customer services, exorbitant upgrade fees for mediocre "new[/img]
Where should I startIndifferent product maintenance is a good place to start. The WORST - by far - customer service of any major sw vendor I have ever dealt with.

Foisting poorly tested upgrades at exorbitant fee. QX5. Nuff said.

So we have a crappy product/company that ramps up for big comeback by sending out a crappy, ill-conceived postcard and print ad campaign. My college interns thought it was so cool. None of them was required to take a single QX course in college. ID yes. The rest of us (over 35) saw the ad campaign for the farce it was. So we have an ad campaign aimed at 20 years olds with no knowledge or history of QX usage. Strange.

The new logo: Yikes! The effort and creativity that went into that logo just blows me away. I retreat into stunned silence.

P.S. tperkins: nice logo.

While I do not totally disagree with your comments, I find it really strange that people keep complaining about the prices of Quark's upgrades. If the product is too expensive for what it provides QUIT BUYING IT. This is a fairly easy concept to comprehend. What has Quark done to YOU that deserves such an outrage? Quark's monopolistic stance is obviously a thing of the past so what can be gained by harrassing them with such complaints, your strongest blow is to simply go with their competitor.

Other thing, why do Quark haters spend their time in these forums is beyond me. I do not care much about Van Halen, Boeing or Corel Draw but there is nothing compelling me to spend all my time trolling on their sites to express my indifference.

I can understand that InDesign might be a better fit for you but you have to understand that it might not be so for everyone. I have been using Quark since version 1.0 and the type of work I do with could still be done in version 3.31. This old dog sees nothing to be gained by moving to that new trick called InDesign. But again, that is just me, I do not pretend to be the holder of the Holy Truth and tell you which software you must be using, and so shouldn't you, or anyone else.

I am here because I have been using Quark for quite some time and because I like to help others usng it. Do I think it is perfect? Not at all, but nor do I waste my time complaining about it in a USER to USER forum where the intended target, Quark inc., is not even present.

Please tell me if I am making TOO MUCH sense!

Jim Oblak

Design Contest!!!

Post by Jim Oblak » 21 Sep 2005, 10:48

Well said. I thought this thread was about designing logos anyway.

Return to “Sofa Threads”